Beginner - need advice

Options
LiveLoveSwimming
LiveLoveSwimming Posts: 129 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
I am starting the strong lift 5x5 in a couple of weeks. (I am currently finishing training for swimming) If I add in swimming for an hour and a HIIT work out each once a week after my lifting will it decrease my muscle growth?

Replies

• sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the answer. I'm in a cardio heavy bootcamp program that I don't want to give up, but I would like to add this if it will still be beneficial.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If your new to lifting it will be fine to do cardio but when your lifts start stalling you will have to decide which one you want more of.
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    Options
    Okay, thanks
    massage97 wrote: »
    If your new to lifting it will be fine to do cardio but when your lifts start stalling you will have to decide which one you want more of.

because I know of someone who does HIIT like 3-4 times a week and lifts and she is really strong still...
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options

@ Massage -- You think so, even though she's only talking about one swimming workout and one HIIT workout per week? That surprises me a little, but I'm also a relative newbie, so would love to hear more on this one from you and others.

C.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    let me clarify some. When in a deficit and it's really heavy. I'm talking you NEED all 3-5 mins of rest for next set. When I would even slog in rest days I was wiped out yet. Everyone is different however. Do it till you can't anymore. If you eat to fuel your body, you will be able to do more but then you don't lose weight as fast.
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    Options
    let me clarify some. When in a deficit and it's really heavy. I'm talking you NEED all 3-5 mins of rest for next set. When I would even slog in rest days I was wiped out yet. Everyone is different however. Do it till you can't anymore. If you eat to fuel your body, you will be able to do more but then you don't lose weight as fast.

I am 5'8 and 123lbs, so I am already relatively lean. I am more looking to build strength and muscle. I just was wondering how much cardio would effect my lifting.