Low protein & higher A1C

Options
I am 3 months post op & had my follow up today. HW 286 SW 272 CW 226 height 5'8.5"
My protein was low & D3. I am getting 70-90g daily. I log every bite. NP said I need to eat protein every 3 hrs. Any input or tips would be awesome.
Also my A1c has increased feeling discouraged.

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am almost 6 weeks post-op and my FBG levels have been steadily rising over the weeks (from 100 to 120 right after surgery to 160 to 170 now). I, too, was surprised by this and I just added back Glipizide 5mg in the mornings after seeing my primary care physician last week. I will see what my A1C is in early November when I have my labs done. It might help to print off the food reports and have a nutritionist review them with you --- maybe they will see some correlation that is not easily "visible" to the normal person. I would also see if you can get a referral to an endocrinologist who may be able to determine why your A1C is going up. Congrats on the awesome weight loss btw! :smile:
  • inspireuplift2014
    Options
    Thank you for the reply.
    I guess I will have to restart Metiformin.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Dropping wheat and potato helped me the most
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I was T2 diabetic pre-op, and now am not. I spent a lot of time in the past several years tracking my blood glucose and A1C. I noticed a positive correlation between my 2 hour post-prandial glucose and my A1C. If my post-prandial test was consistently around 100-110, then my A1C would be normal (at or close to 6) when I went to the endocrinologist.

I have no idea what your regimen is, though, so I only offer this: if you are concerned about A1C and are not checking your post-prandials, which show how you react to the food you eat, you may want to consider regular post-prandial glucose checks. You could just be eating the wrong stuff. LIke Mangopickle said, stay away from wheat and potato. (I would add to that: stay away from every other starch and sweet out there, and just eat protein and veggies for a while, and see how you do).

Are you diagnosed with diabetes or PCOS? If so, most major health insurances will pay most if not all of the cost of diabetes testing supplies.

Best!
    Kate
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Low GI foods are really key. If you still have a good functioning pancreas and your 2 hr post prandial is above 110 you ate the wrong item.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    70-90 grams in my book is a good amount of protein!
    Im about 2 weeks post-op and struggling to meet the basic 70grams, how in the world can you be considered low?!?