Zumba and marathon training

Options
PixieAdele
PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
Hi all,
I searched for answers to my question on Google with no results so I thought I'd ask you guys on here.

I'm currently in my 4th week of my first marathon training, the big day is 19th April 2015 in Manchester. I've given myself plenty of time to account for winter weather/injuries etc. I'm using the bupa beginner marathon training plan. In addition to this I do zumba twice a week. Leaving 1-2days rest each week.
My long run is on a Sunday, Monday is zumba (should be rest according to running plan), Tuesday is recovery run, Wednesday is Zumba plus a steady run, Thursday rest, Friday speed running, Saturday rest.

My question is should I be doing Zumba on top of my marathon training? I'm more concerned about my Monday class as it's the day after my long run.

I'm also doing quite a lot of overtime at work and I'm thinking something has to give. After all, the miles are going to ramp up significantly soon.

Thank you for your help in advance, and sorry for the waffle!

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I say try it and see what works for you. I did a lot of martial arts training along with my first and this time around I did plyo and weights and Yoga for a while, but i ended up dropping the yoga and cutting back the others.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I don't do Zumba. How intense would you call it? If it is intense then my sense is too much. The long run itself is not what helps you but the recovery from the run (same is true with all runs). So if Zumba is too intense it will interfere with recovery. If not intense then no biggie
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I would think you will be fine, certainly up until you are further thru your plan and it's got you doing 18-20 mile long runs -but you should go by feel and ease up if you are struggling.

One question, are you eating at a deficit or fuelling yourself well?

I just ran my first marathon on a 6 day a week plan, I was eating at a deficit and cycling on my 'rest' day. Not smart. I burnt out long before race day and didn't make the fitness improvements I expected.

Good luck.
  • PixieAdele
    Options
    Hi thank you for your responses.

The zumba is pretty intense and i push myself during the session, we also do a squat track at the end of the hour. I talked to my instructor yesterday and she said that I could try and do it on a monday at lower intensity to keep my muscles loose, but I'm not sure shes just saying that to get me to go and ultimately get my money haha.

I am eating at a deficit, I'm looking to lose another 5-8lb before my final wedding dress fittings in may/june 2015. I average 1000-1200cals per day during the week and I'm much less strict at the weekend.

My other half thinks I should give mondays a rest. I don't feel worn out at the moment but I don't feel as energetic as I used to.

Thanks again.

• SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    If Zumba is something you enjoy, I'm disinclined to suggest you ditch it now. There are very likely cross training benefits from it also. You are early enough in the marathon training where you can try it out and stop if and when it's taking too much out of you.

I have to say though that 1000-1200 cals a day whilst working out this much just is not enough. That's just my opinion based on my limited experience and mistakes over the past 20 weeks. If you aren't increasing that on running/zumba days it's no wonder you aren't feeling energetic.

I ate at a 500cal deficit during weekdays, eating back 75% of exercise calories and unmeasured eating (but certainly overeating) at weekends. Weight loss was good but I regret doing it now. I am certain that I wasn't fuelling my body to adapt and repair. Next time around I will lose the weight before getting into the specific marathon training.

On that point, you've got about 25 weeks until your race. Try to get input from people with more marathon experience than me, but I would suggest you think of those 25 weeks as two phases.

The second phase is the final 16-18 weeks. That's your targeted, marathon specific training. To get the most out of this I would suggest eating to fuel your runs and recovery. No deficit, but manage your intake closely so you aren't gaining weight either.

The first phase is where you are building up your base. I'd be using this time to drop the excess pounds. You've only got 5-8 lbs and you've 7-9 weeks in which to do it. Plenty of time.
  • PixieAdele
    Options
    thats great advice thank you sjb74uk, I have been eating back exercise cals, I'm only 5'1" so thats why im trying to stay low on cals.

I'm just worried i will gain weight again like i did when i ran my first half marathon last year, I put on almost a stone and I was gutted. This time round I wanted to stay on track and just because im running isnt an excuse to overeat.

I like the idea of using the first half of training to lose the last few pounds (i might not even have to go as far as I thought) then use the second half for serious training at maintenance. Thank you!

I will keep doing zumba on a monday if i'm not too sore, maybe as a light exercise rather than my main burn.

Thank you for all your advice!
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat back run calories, you will definitely feel drained. At 1200, there is not much room for error there, I would definitely make sure you are getting enough carbs and recovery nutrition. That could help with the drained feeling. You won't gain unless you let yourself eat more than those burns.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat back run calories, you will definitely feel drained. At 1200, there is not much room for error there, I would definitely make sure you are getting enough carbs and recovery nutrition. That could help with the drained feeling. You won't gain unless you let yourself eat more than those burns.

Totally agree, you need fuel when you run a lot. Many people gain weight when marathon training but they do it because they don't eat enough, feel ravenous and then say "Heck I just ran 15 miles I can eat that gallon of ice cream." Keep fueled with the good stuff :)
  • PixieAdele
    Options
    Thanks guys, I will listen to my body and fuel myself properly :)
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love running and Zumba. I swapped my runs to fit in two Zumba days. I'm still doing only half marathon distances but I still do the long run on Saturday and rest on Sunday to attend Monday's Zumba toning session. i found it hard to dance after a long run because my knees were just not happy.
    Btw, if you don't already have them, dancing shoes for Zumba are a must! They are so much easier on the knees and ankles!
  • pmur
    Options
    Oh and I'm 5'3" and maintaining at 114-117 lbs and am eating close to 2000 cals a day workout or not. While losing I was still losing at 1700 a day. hope this gives you an idea since the workouts we do look similar.
  • PixieAdele
    Options
    Glad to know someone has been able to fit in two zumbas plus training! and wow 2000cals thats insane I've always had to cut much much lower than that to see any weight loss, maybe I run much slower than you lol
  • nats2508
    nats2508 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I think Zumba is good for flexibility and stretching. Its also fun! so you can keep that as the fun element of your training. I think you do need to eat a bit more though as you will feel really drained with all that you are doing. I know how you feel about putting weight on as I'm in the same boat but your body may start to resist if it thinks you are starving it, I've been there and it didn't work long term, I always had a big deficit and though it was cool until I got stuck! I forced myself to eat more in sneaky ways - eating nuts and adding olive oil to meals etc and the weight started to come off again. x
  • pmur
    Options
    Not sure if running speed matters. I'm slow, btw. I run 12 min miles. I used to wear a HRM to Zumba and used to burn 600-700 cals in there sometimes. I'm assuming I do around 500 per session now. Added to that, I run around 20ish miles a week. With all that burn, if I don't eat I feel starved and then its a slippery slope. I rather eat and not indulge on snacks. If I'm not eating proper meals then I'm snacking on junk and its a slippery slope if I do that.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    There's a zumba-like class at my gym on Monday nights that I love. During half marathon training I did my long runs on Saturday morning and then was fine to go to the class on Monday night. The last month of training (before the taper) my runs were 10-12 miles and I felt that my legs needed two full days of rest (Sunday and Monday) before my next run on Tuesday, so I didn't go to class that last month. I just really REALLY didn't want to get injured before my race so I was conservative about the amount of activity I was doing. I always went to class during training up until that point though, so I think if you feel good, you should keep going. If you're starting to feel overworked or you feel that your body needs the extra rest, take a break from Zumba. It will be there after your race. :)
  • PixieAdele
    Options
    Thank you everyone :)
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I was going to say something about using the proper shoes, too. Zumba or dance shoes - because all the twisting can wreck your knees, which will mess up your running plan.

I like the idea of Zumba, even if you do it once a week. It will help you stay excited about both things. And if you need to drop it for the last month or so, so be it. Personally, I'd approach it as "this is my for-fun thing" and go whenever you can, but don't go when it's not in line with your primary goal - the marathon training - when you need recovery for whatever reason.

I did a Half-Ironman. After I was done training, I went back to some Zumba classes and found that they are only recovery effort for me now. I'd been gone for nearly a year. Looking at the people in class, I think she has toned it down a little. But even the dances I used to do at home aren't the effort they used to be, so I think the biggest thing was my change in fitness level. I still enjoy them, but, yes, you can use them as easier days, depending on what you do. I know what you mean, though, about wondering if she wants you to come just b/c that's income for her. Probably...you will need to let the Monday one go as your long runs get longer.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    PixieAdele wrote: »
    My long run is on a Sunday, Monday is zumba (should be rest according to running plan), Tuesday is recovery run, Wednesday is Zumba plus a steady run, Thursday rest, Friday speed running, Saturday rest.

Where's your resistance training?

That's all CV work.

And I'd echo the points about fuelling, when I don't eat enough I'm barely functional, so I'm on about 2300 plus training calories per day, still losing slowly.