[NSV] I didn't eat the free candy :)

Just went to Costco and one of the free samples today was mini candy bars for Halloween. I really wanted to grab one, since they're only like 90 or 100 calories... but I couldn't help but think about John Oliver's rant about American sugar consumption (anyone else seen that yet? It's pretty funny), and I tried to remind myself that the quality of chocolate in those things is not worth the indulgence...and then I let myself buy a pack of fresh persimmons instead. One persimmon has the same amount of calories as a mini-candybar, but at least it also comes along with vitamins A & C & fiber, etc.

I feel proud of myself, but I have to admit that I still lusted as I walked past everyone else's grocery carts full of cookies, chips, and candy. I hope that someday it won't be so hard to turn that crap down! :smile:

Replies

• gigi8oa
    gigi8oa Posts: 28
    Keep doing good, Sarah! It takes a lot of will power. Trust me, I know. Hehe. I am so proud. Actually, it's little decisions like this that count. Once I eat something sweet that is not on my diet, I go on and eat more sweets, then break the diet. So, this is great!
  • vermonster271909
    vermonster271909 Posts: 13 Member
    Sarah,
    Great job on not giving in! I'm sure it took a lot to say no (it does for me too) I'm proud of you for not giving in WHOOP WHOOP (haha I'm a dork). Even bigger WHOOP WHOOP for choosing something healthier!!! Smart move in the long run - it'll get easier for you. We have Halloween candy here at our house and it's SO hard every time I walk by the bags NOT to open the bag and take "just one" piece. I looked at the bag yesterday for sh*ts and giggles and some of the "fun size" pieces of candy are 70-100 calories. WOW!!! I knew they were a lot of wasted calories but I didn't think they were THAT much. I can eat SOOO many other things that are waaaaaaaaay healthier and won't hurt me in the long run. Big pat on the back for you :) You should feel proud of your decision!!!
  • simply_sarah_
    simply_sarah_ Posts: 35 Member
    Aw, thanks ladies! Everytime I eat another persimmon (one a day) I pat myself on the back again, lol. Persimmons are better than candy in my opinion!