Unhealthy Dieting

Options
I just wanted to put this out there because it concerns me that so many people are doing what I used to do.
What is a healthy diet for you? Is it eating less calories? Is it eating more calories? Is it eating nutrient rich foods that are not "wasted" calories? Whatever it is, you have to make the right choice with food. I look at people's diaries. I do. I won't lie. I look at them most of the time. Sometimes I feel like people are just harming themselves due to the stuff they consume. For example, if you ate a handful of grapes in the morning for breakfast and in the afternoon you have nothing except a type of laxative, and no food for dinner except 7 cups of water then there is surely something wrong!
I was actually diagnosed with an eating disorder and OCD. It's very hard to fight these things but you have to get help. Please guys, get help if you have any form of anxiety if you do not have "control" of what you eat, calories you consume, or weight. Even though I never took laxatives in the past, I know what it is to eat so little... so little that you are constantly thinking on tomorrow and that one chance you could eat. That's not healthy! With help, you might take a while but hey, I am a living proof that you can do better. I used to consume about 400 calories a day. Now I am up to 1000. It's something. I just... I just can't stand watching people go through what I been through and not get help. If anyone thinks they might have an unhealthy diet, look into more things to add that are healthier. I bet you can eat four cups of spinach and it's about 100 calories. If you are too scared of high calorie foods, start like I started, I will alwayd eat so many veggies because I knew the calories were small. Anyways, I am writing from my phone, I have to go. Please get help if you believe you have an E.D.

Replies

• simply_sarah_
    simply_sarah_ Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Way to go in making healthier choices!

What is a healthy diet for me? I'm becoming a big believer in eating lots of calories, haha!

I have a hard time with significant food restrictions (in my experience they have often backfired), so when I started with MFP in July I gave myself a small calorie deficit (150-200 calories I think) that I hoped I could sustain. I also let myself eat all my exercise calories. It seemed to work. It was still a bit hard, but I wasn't going to bed hungry!

When I found out I was pregnant in early September, I put myself on a maintenance diet (no calorie deficit) and continued to eat all of my exercise calories. But I kept losing weight! That was when I realized that my basal metabolism must be a bit higher than MFP calculated. That was a huge lesson for me -- I could eat even more than I originally thought and continue to lose weight at a healthy pace!

I miscarried a few weeks ago, and put myself back on a weight loss diet. However, this time I only gave myself a deficit of 50 calories or so, and I still usually eat all of my exercise calories. And I'm continuing to lose weight! -- while eating a reasonable amount of food (it ranges from 1600-2000 calories a day, depending on how much exercise I do).

I think that for those of us who struggle with restrictions, or with a past of over-eating or binge eating, starting with a maintenance diet is a good idea -- it may lead to less drastic weight loss, but may be more doable for those who (like me) can't stand feeling hungry.
  • gigi8oa
    gigi8oa Posts: 28
    Options
    You are doing it the right way, I believe. Because you are slightly going above what's "required" and you are still losing weight then that means you are not even starving. It's good to eat very often. When I binged and purged back then, it was because I was really full and that feeling made me think I had lost control of my diet. However, when I started seing nutrionists they said "Hey, you could eat all of that. Just not at once! Break it into seperate meals." Guess what? It worked, I broke meals into seperate "snacks" and that caused me to feel just right after eating. Like if I still had control. Like this, I have achieved to eat healthier and consumr more calories. When you restrick your body from carbs, you go on a binge as soon as you get a hold of one (my problem). This is why whrn I looked at someones dieting and I saw a laxative... first I thought, okay, one laxative a week it's fine? However, when I saw this was an everyday thing and this person did not even consume more than 100 calories, then I got worried.