Are cons murder on diets?

Options
See since I've started on my diet, Colossalcon is going to be my first. I can't help but to feel a litte overwhelmed and nervous about how badly I will do. Anybody have any tips to cope?

Replies

• bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be .. just pre plan and pack your food in portions as much as you can.. :3 and you can probably search for the food places near the con and see what they have in advance. (:
  • savioroftheherpingderp
    Options
    Good plan, because otherwise I know im going to be overindulging in the pizza and **** my friends want to order. Feels like this might be a bad week for me.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I actually tend not to eat much at all at conventions. I have one evening meal at the hotel restaurant or around the convention but other than that I usually have a pocket of sesame snaps and one of my pouches full of nuts and raisins.

In that respect it is still murder on my diet as I tend to drink minimally as well - getting out of a costume to go to the toilet can be murder in itself so in some of my costumes I purposefully don't drink - very bad.
  • Hannahhime
    Hannahhime Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You tend to walk around A LOT at conventions. I find myself not hungry a lot and sometimes I'm having too much fun and I unintentionally skip a meal! I'd suggest packing some fruit, like apples or bananas, to keep in your hotel room for a snack so you don't snack on crazy junk food :)
  • savioroftheherpingderp
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea. I've got some fruit in my fridge I was worried about spoiling anyways, I'll bring mine along and then I have to buy less food there. Good for my body and my wallet.

But yeah I feel you on the difficulty getting out of costume to use the bathroom. Especially when I'm crossplaying its ridiculously difficult to go to the bathroom in my binder as its a bodysuit from shoulder to knees. Its such a pain (but I get a rock hard booty out of the deal)
  • jenlinkitty
    jenlinkitty Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Last con I went to, I was volunteering at NASHICon (Columbia SC) and wound up losing weight because I kept forgetting to eat, or I didn't eat enough over the course of the weekend.

With cons? Plan it out as much as possible, you never know what happens at cons though lol Just do the best you can. Pack healthy filling snacks with a lot of protein - especially with how crazy it gets.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Last time I packed a lot of snacks and stuff at home into small portion size packages, I had with me some quick oat meal, protein pudding powder, cashew nuts, low calorie soup meals and meal bars. :3 Then I got a soy milk or something that I put in the fridge and bought bananas. The small containers were easy to take with me to the con and I got my breakfasts easy (the hotel had no breakfast). I only ate lunch out somewhere near the con. :)
  • savioroftheherpingderp
    Options
    This con could have gone a lot worse than it did. I think the comment someone had on the amount of walking definitely had an impact. Yes I'm up four pounds from where I was, but all things considered it was a nice vacation from my diet, and it hasn't thrown me off the bandwagon entirely just being a few days off of my best behavior. I think this diet has made me much more conscious about how much and the choices I make.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Dragon Con is coming up for me at the end of the summer and I plan to bring a lot of cliff bars/apples/bottled water.
    I carry a sling style purse that allows me to carry things easily because sometimes I've had to choose between grabbing junk food on the way to a panel or just not eating.
    Having portable snacks with me helps!
    Turkey meat sticks or the like are helpful too because they keep you full longer! :)
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I just went to A-kon a few weekends ago and it wasn't as terrible as I thought.
    In the morning I ate a quest bar and had a cup of coffee, in the afternoon I'd eat a little snack, then have dinner with my group in the evening.

I found myself not eating a lot mainly because I didn't want to get bloated in costume. I just made sure to drink plenty of water and kept busy!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I tend to not eat when in coxtume, but at dragon con I find grabbing a drink or a hamburger at the Hyatt is easy! I try to hydrate all day, but this year I set a record of not drinking or peeing for 5 hours. It's amazing how one costume can change your life.
  • petitsbisous
    petitsbisous Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I lost weight while I was at Anime Boston. Not only did I try to eat healthy(ish) foods at the food court, but also packed lunches and went out to eat at a few restaurants. But I think I was just walking around so much that I burned off more than I took in haha.
  • Chomesuke
    Chomesuke Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ugh conventions always kill me when I'm trying to eat healthyDX But I think that if you bring your own food, maybe you could reward yourself by using the money you would have spent on your food at some restaurant on some extra merch instead:) Idk, I haven't tried it yet, but rewarding my healthy eating with something else tends to work well. GOOD LUCK*^*
  • lewnatic
    lewnatic Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If all else fails, save your cheat meals for the weekend of the con. I tend to not eat enough at conventions, but they're full of delicious junk food regardless, so it may be a good idea to plan for that.

Some of my friends have started packing bento boxes for conventions, but that plan is more viable for one day than a weekend trip.