Had Surgery 10/16....

Options
2BeHappy2
2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
I had my surgery a few days ago.
This is Not to discourage those that haven't gone through it yet, only to make you fully aware of what I went through.
If you are faint of heart, you may really want to take some more time to fully think things over 1st, I have little small veins so it was hard for them to get me started on an IV.
In the 1 1/2 days I was at the hospital, they had to start up 3 IV's which 1 is painful enough so 3 was no picnic!
The 3 Iv's came about because they kept getting clogged up, Im not sure how that happens.
I was in extreme pain coming out and as soon as I figured out there were still tubes down my throat I was fighting to get them taken out because I have a horrible gag reflex.
I was nauseous which is worse than vomiting because at least when you vomit, you can get it out of your system.
I did not have to get up and walk right away like Ive heard others talk about, thank goodness because I don't think I could've.
I did not get much sleep the whole time I was there because someone was always coming in to do something to me...poke, prick or prod me.
On Fri I had to go to the x-ray room where they had me drink this oily stuff from a bottle, it was the most awful foul smelling/tasting stuff Ive ever had.
Its for a leak test to make sure there are no holes where the surgery took place.
Once I got back to my room, I saw a tray waiting for me, I had about 4 tsp of broth, drank some of my lemonade which actually tasted good, I opened up this little pouch of protein stuff (kind of looks like the squish'ems but I only put a small dot of it on my finger to taste it, it tasted nothing like the store bought squish'ems).
I did not attempt to eat the popsicle as I started to feel sick.
Sure enough the vomiting came out, it was a mixture/smell of that dye stuff plus anything else that Id eaten.
They sat me in the chair but it was too uncomfortable for me.
PT came in to have me walk but Id just gotten back in the bed to rest after that whole ordeal so she came back a few hrs later.
She said she was surprised at how well I did so she cleared me of future PT.
They had me switch rooms on Fri. from ICU to a regular room which I was only in for a few hrs before I was officially released.
I was rather surprised that he let me go since Id kept nothing down.
Since coming home, Ive had pain in my left top of my stomach, Ive vomited once but Ive been having lots of dry heaves.
Ive also been having excessive saliva which is just gross.
I told my husband now I know what people who chew go through w/ all the spitting they do.
I don't know how to stop it or get rid of this and its not always convenient to be near something to spit in.
I have endured several surgeries in my life, including having been in body casts many times when I was younger, this surgery has been by far the most painful I have ever done.
Due to the buildup of spit, I have only been able to drink some water, a small glass of crystal light lemonade and a couple bites of lemon jello.
I attempted to drink a cup of broth but for some reason, I just could get myself to consume it.
A few days before my surgery, I bought a medical binder on the advise of another poster, it is so comfy and its kept the pressure(s) of my stomach from "hanging" and feeling that stretch from the incisions.
I've also heard of others who have had to sleep in a recliner after coming home, I have not and it was so nice to get back to my own familiar bed.
Hospital beds are not very comfortable so this was a relief for me.
I have also heard of others talk about having severe pain in their backs or shoulders, this did not happen to me.
Gas has not been an issue for me...I presume this is caused by having so much air in your stomach.
When I went in for my pre-admission I asked that no phone calls be put through and no visitors other than my husband who drove me there.
Because of past stories from other posters I knew that I was not going to be in the best conditions to entertain nor was I going to be looking like myself, thank goodness because all the above was true!
I felt awful and was in pain for the majority of my time there.
This surgery is Not a cake walk, if you have a low tolerance for pain, Please really think about these surgeries and weigh ALL the pros and cons!
I know that everyone gets through their surgeries differently but what we all can agree on is that theres lots of pain involved and its not easy.
Good luck to you all who are still waiting for your surgery!

Replies

• pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Wow! You really had a rough time of it! On the flip side, my experience was nothing like yours. I won't say it was easy, but compared to other abdominal surgeryies I've had, this wasn't bad. After, when I would stand up, I felt empty, like right after you have a baby. I really didn't have any pain, anywhere, after the first day or so. I couldn't drink the protein shakes they gave me, not even a full one in a whole day, too sweet and too thick. I'm more of a savory person. They kept me an extra day because of this, but once home, drinking the protein infused chicken and beef broth, I did fine. It was slow going, I could drink much at one time, but I did manage to get my protein and water most days.

I hope everyone reading these takes into consideration that we each react differently. No guarantee that you are going to have as easy a time as I did or as bad a time as 2BeHappy2 did.

2BeHappy2, I hope you heal fast and find this is a great tool. My experience has been very positive.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Awe, thank you! I was finally able to consume a few ounces of broth last night and a little today. I know its not the ideal solution but the crystal light and plain water seem to be working well enough for me for the immediate time being. I have my 1st follow up appt on Fri, which I hope allows me to get to the 2nd week of foods so I have something more than my current short list of options! My husband made scrambled eggs w/ cheese for himself tonight while I sat there looking at my plain broth...to me chicken noodle "soup" is not the same w/out those noodles so just to have what he ate tonight, that's still slightly more than 2 wks away for me :sob: Oh the simple pleasures in life!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I will warn you, eggs, even scrambled, are very hard to digest at firat. I was told no eggs for like 3 months. The nutritionist told me the yolk is very dense. I found that really strange, but followed orders. :D Hang in there kiddo, it gets easier. And eventually you can have everything in your chicken noodle soup, you probably won't want to, simply because you need the chicken for protein more than the noodles which have a lot less protein. I make my own soups so I can load up the meat, add some vegies and not bother with noodles or rice. High protein, low fat, sodium and carbs.

26197638.png
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    LoL...the way Im going, Im not gonna want several of the items on my short end list!
    As the 1st week comes to a close, I know it will be quite awhile before I will be able to stomach the smell of broth and jello :neutral_face:
    As far as the eggs, I could try just egg whites!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see how everyone is so different and each person's program is also different. I never had any problems with eggs (scrambled or small cheese omelet) and eggs are one of only a few additional soft food items that my surgeon allows from week 3 to week 7. I actually tried crackers the other day (wheat saltines) and found that I can eat too many of those for some reason (without feeling full or sick).
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem with eggs either. I did Egg Beaters in the beginning and at 6 weeks I had a whole egg. I also do not have any problems with chicken if it is moist. I have read that a few ppl have problems with chicken. I do have a problem with any meat too dry--so the crockpot works for me! I like Wheat thin flat bread with hummus as a snack or a small meal. They are a nice size--2 with hummus fill me up. Fat free refried beans 1/2 C~~ is also a food that I like for a snack or meal---with 2 tbls. salsa and 1/4 c low fat cheese ~~filling with protein.
  • foxymitchell
    foxymitchell Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    feel free to be-friend me if you like. Things will get better with time. It is rough in the beginning.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    My advice is not to get in a hurry with your diet make changes slower and try new things a little bit at a time. Ask your Dr. For medications the nausea can be controlled. Also ask for pain relief when you need it , being in pain slows recovery. My surgery was not anything like yours, thank goodness. As a nurse most of the WLS people I cared for had to have nausea and strong pain medication.
    Randy