Couch to 5K? Motivation?

Options
heathervsg
heathervsg Posts: 21
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
I am trying to lose that last 8-10 pesky pounds. I have decided I also need to thin up my legs, so I think I am going to do the Couch to 5K! Has anyone done that and been successful? Does anyone have any tips to help me be successful? Every time I have run in the past, I have started and quit. I really want to be successful this time.

Replies

• homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I used it to run a 10K, but I found that MapMyWalk helped more. The goal was endurane and time- I needed to finish in under two hours. MapMyWalk is free, gave me interval time- so I knew that if I was two miles in and my pace was something like 18 min- I needed to run a bit more and speed up. I used the track at the park, the treadmill at the gym and a few trails. I found that I ran better - faster and easier- outside- and I gave myself small goals- like running to the halfway point on the track, then walking two cycles. I didn't want to win it- just finish it! Good luck.
  • heathervsg
    Options
    I used it to run a 10K, but I found that MapMyWalk helped more. The goal was endurane and time- I needed to finish in under two hours. MapMyWalk is free, gave me interval time- so I knew that if I was two miles in and my pace was something like 18 min- I needed to run a bit more and speed up. I used the track at the park, the treadmill at the gym and a few trails. I found that I ran better - faster and easier- outside- and I gave myself small goals- like running to the halfway point on the track, then walking two cycles. I didn't want to win it- just finish it! Good luck.

I like that idea. I might try that app instead.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I like how Couch to 5K sets the intervals for me. I can't be trusted to do it myself but theres something about the little voice in my headphones telling me what to do that keeps me going. I used it in the past to train for and run an actual 5K race in a time that wasn't embarrassing. :smile:
  • teresa7926
    teresa7926 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used the C25K app on my phone over the summer. It motivated me and helped me work on endurance. Ran my first 5K in the middle of September. I am now using the 10K app to run an 8K Thanksgiving Day.
  • jrnguyen
    jrnguyen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I just started c25k last week. I started once before but was so much heavier then, I just quit. Now that I'm down some, I find it so much easier. Each time I go out, I can push a little further. I am very competitive with myself, so when I know what I was able to do last time, it makes me want to try harder the next.
  • heathervsg
    Options
    Well, I did Map My Walk last night and walked two miles in under 30 minutes. Not too bad for my first try. I want to get my endurance up more before actual running. haha!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    All my runner friends suggested the C25K program. I found it difficult to do right now but I am hoping after surgery and some weight loss I can get into it. My goal is to run a 5K before the end of 2015.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Just be careful. I did C25K and hurt my achilles. The MD said that it was because I increased my running distance too quickly, and my tendon was not ready for it. There is a rule in running that you don't add more than 10% additional distance per week, to avoid stress injuries. C25K increases distance more rapidly than that, and because people who do C25K are often starting from "couch" or similar, it can lead to injuries.
  • heathervsg
    Options
    Just be careful. I did C25K and hurt my achilles. The MD said that it was because I increased my running distance too quickly, and my tendon was not ready for it. There is a rule in running that you don't add more than 10% additional distance per week, to avoid stress injuries. C25K increases distance more rapidly than that, and because people who do C25K are often starting from "couch" or similar, it can lead to injuries.

Good advice. I was thinking I would start slow anyway. I like the idea of pushing myself with Map My Walk, so I don't cause injury. My neighborhood is really hilly too, so I will be pushing a lot of incline.
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When I did C25K, I did each week twice before I moved on to the next and I was amazed at how well I was doing by the end of the second week.
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I didn't finish, but I am going to start again. I used an App called Zombies Run! - there are two versions 1 for Couch to 5K Training and 1 for Those who already run. The training is episode based and professional actors interrupt your music play list with a post apocalyptic story that you are participating it. I loved it, and did 6 weeks out of the 8 weeks. In week 1 I could not run more than 10seconds without having to stop. In week 6 I was running 20 minutes out of my 45mins or so 5km. In addition to stepping up your progress the Training App has little things in the story line that you 'achieve'. There is an online portal where you can map your runs and share runs with others and gives you all sorts of stats. In the Main App - Which I purchased prior to finishing the Couch to 5k they have things like segments where you have to outpace zombies who are chasing you, you also get little items that you can add to a virtual base online as you progress building your base as you go.

They also have other achievements like running 3 times a week, hitting certain average distances a week, etc etc... like they do in games.
    I love the concept and am totally sold on it as motivation.

(I stopped because I lost my job and fell into a bit of an emotional heap, then it was christmas, then a new contract, then my birthday and then I got engaged and poof 1 year later), but I am going to start again as soon as I can post op!
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Qski wrote: »
    I didn't finish, but I am going to start again. I used an App called Zombies Run! - there are two versions 1 for Couch to 5K Training and 1 for Those who already run. The training is episode based and professional actors interrupt your music play list with a post apocalyptic story that you are participating it. I loved it, and did 6 weeks out of the 8 weeks. In week 1 I could not run more than 10seconds without having to stop. In week 6 I was running 20 minutes out of my 45mins or so 5km. In addition to stepping up your progress the Training App has little things in the story line that you 'achieve'. There is an online portal where you can map your runs and share runs with others and gives you all sorts of stats. In the Main App - Which I purchased prior to finishing the Couch to 5k they have things like segments where you have to outpace zombies who are chasing you, you also get little items that you can add to a virtual base online as you progress building your base as you go.

They also have other achievements like running 3 times a week, hitting certain average distances a week, etc etc... like they do in games.

(I stopped because I lost my job and fell into a bit of an emotional heap, then it was christmas, then a new contract, then my birthday and then I got engaged and poof 1 year later), but I am going to start again as soon as I can post op!

Oh my WORD that sounds like it is a HOOT!! How fun!!
  • katematt313
    Options
    When I did C25K, I did each week twice before I moved on to the next and I was amazed at how well I was doing by the end of the second week.

That is an awesome idea. I am going to start a running program again, and this time, I plan on doing something similar.
  • katematt313
    Options
    Qski wrote: »

I have heard about this app a bit, but never really looked into it. Hearing your description of it, it sounds like a lot of fun. I am just about ready to start the running thing again, and I think I might give this a try!
  • dej923
    dej923 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used C25K (free), finished it, then downloaded 10K for Pink (paid) but my knee starting giving me issues & I haven't run in a while. I never thought about stretching the program out over a longer period or the repercussions of ramping up too fast. It does make sense.

I love the sound of zombie app though! I need to get into running again for some cardio so I may check this one out. Thanks!
  • heathervsg
    Options
    I love the idea of the Zombie App! I have power walked for 4 days in a row so far! Whoop Whoop! Gotta keep going!
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The Zombies, Run! App works well for nun-runners as well. I have used it on the Elliptical, and just increase my step rate when the Zombies are chasing! It runs through your music library and then breaks in with story every once in a while. We have it and when i steal my daughter's smart phone, i can use the App.
  • katematt313
    Options
    We should start a Zombies Run post or challenge. I would download the app and do it with you guys :smile:
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There is a group on here for Zombies Run, one awesome MFP friend I made last year whilst doing this, was older, starting to learn in a serious hill town and had to have monthly arthritis injections for her knees to start with. She finished it and ran her 5k, so amazing, I was so excited for her I cried.

Maybe a couch to 5k thread in this group would be useful? Then those not so Zombie inclined could also participate.

Oh... and I did have to repeat weeks myself. I started getting shin splints and the physio said to just slow the hell down - for some reason I always want to run at a specific pace and said pace was not really useful for me upping my times in the program specified way. Once I slowed down and paid attention to my body I progressed much better.

You don't even have to run to listen to the episodes - you just can't turn on zombie chase mode in the full app if you do. Some people even rode bikes while listening but I would veer into traffic I get quite caught up in the storyline.

I live near a rehabilitation hospital and quite a few patients were incorporated into my storylines as extras LOL.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I used C25K a few times. Once helped me get in shape and I ran a 5K on Thanksgiving about 5 weeks in. I never run their speed, just mine, but increase when they tell me to. I finished the whole program then moved onto increasing speed; but had some cramping and was newly pregnant so I stopped. That was about the time I was the thinnest I'd been in a long time. I've started and stopped a few times since then.

I'm going to check out this zombie thing....