Looking for a Gravel Bike

Options
mwhite61451
mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
Looking to get a gravel bike to take advantage of all the dirt roads we have around here. Any ideas?

Replies

• sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I have a Salsa Warbird and it is the best bike I've ever owned. That is the only 2cents I have to offer. I love riding the gravel.
  • CDGolden
    CDGolden Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Pretty happy with my Surly Straggler...Steel with room for x42 (and a little more) and fenders, and discs..
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy with my Cannondale CaadX 105 disc - while it's "billed" as a cyclocross bike, frankly, the geometry is definitely more road-bike - 73°/73° and a 57/57cm frame SCREAMS road bike angles to me - but it's got slightly longer raked forks and quite a bit longer chainstays to accommodate knobbly cross tyres with ease - or indeed road tyres up the 35mm with guards should you need it. Frankly, with mudguard eyes, rack mounts and disk brakes it's a great commuter, works fine offroad for dirt roads, bridleways, tracks and fairly non-technical trails, while still being pretty much handling like a roadbike if you throw a pair of 23mm schwalbe one's on there. Comfortable enough for 6-7 hour rides, yet fast enough to get a century over with in under 5 hours if you've got the engine for it. Certainly rides lighter than the 10.2kg (for the size 58 i've got) weight would suggest.

Mine's the 2014 edition, with the last of the 10 speed 105, but this years edition with the 11 speed looks like a cracking bike.

• veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm in the midst of buying a bike for gravel/road riding. I think a lot of it depends on the type of riding you do and the terrain you do it on. And of course how the bike fits you!

If your rides are relatively short, say 50-60 miles and reasonably flat with hard packed gravel, then virtually any bike capable of handling larger tyres will probably be fine, even MTB's will do.

The Salsa, Surly steel and the CAADX alloy bikes that are recommended above are great multipurpose bikes that can easily handle the punishment of gravel, and make good commuters.

My needs are for a bike that will handle virtually any gravel roads and most kinds of singletrack (not the highly technical stuff), be an excellent, stable climbing/descending rig (10,000ft+/100miles) and be comfortable for 100-200+ mile rides. I also want it to be well mannered and capable as a roadie when I switch to 25mm slicks and ride in a group.

I've been looking at the new generation of 'adventure' bikes that are just about to come out. They are sort of a cross between cross bikes and road bikes. They typically have longer chainstays than road bikes with slightly less head tube angle (72/72.5) and lower BB drops than cross bikes. They also have longer head tubes for a more upright (for me = more comfortable) riding position on long rides. They also can handle 35-40c tyres, have through axles for strength and steering precision, have fender and rack mounts and have hydro disc brakes. In other words extremely versatile.

The models I'm looking at are the Specialized Diverge, Jamis Renegade, Norco The Search and GT Grade. All these models are offered in carbon with weights in the 17-18lb range have 50/34 compact cranks with wide range 11-32 cassettes which make them prefect for climbing. Hopefully one of them will fit the bill when I test ride them.

The main thing is to go and test them and see which fits you and your biking needs the best.

• mwhite61451
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks veloman21. The bikes you mention are on my list as is the Fuji, Giant Anyroad, and Raleigh. Lots to choose from.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Having to replace a bike that I recently wrote off, I have been looking at the Giant TCX slr 2.

This is the Australian version.
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/tcx.slr.2/19008/76729/

Fits in the price range that I am comfortable with. It will be mostly used for commuting and a little gravel path.

Any thoughts?
  • veloman21
    Options
    Looks like a typical cyclocross geometry. I think it would not be as comfortable for me on longer rides but should be fine for commutes and gravel. I could not find info on the BB drop but would imagine it has a higher BB than most road bikes, which feels a bit more unstable to me on fast descents.
  • veloman21
    Options
    Also, I'm not a fan of mechanical disc brakes. They are hard to modulate for me. I really like the hydro disc brakes that are available these days but if mechanical is the only option I'd prefer to stay with rim brakes.
  • veloman21
    Options
    Oops, just another thing. There is no rear bridge so that would make mounting a rear fender a bit of a hassle. Not ideal for commuting.
  • mwhite61451
    Options
    Ended up getting a Felt V85. Very clean, relatively light (22.1lbs) even with heavy wheels and handle bars/stem. Came with 28s...can get up to 38s. So 2 questions:

1. Any suggestions on tires, or are slick 28s ok for now?
    2. Any suggestions on wheel upgrades
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions, but it looks like a fun bike. Enjoy.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm running Vittoria Cross XG Pro tires on my 'cross bike now. In 32. This is my second set of them. They are, in my relatively limited experience, good all-around tires. I've used mine extensively for greenways (smooth paved, rough paved, and unpaved) some road, grass, racing 'cross, and a bunch of gravel. The were good enough that I bought another set after I wore the first ones out.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm running a pair of Clement X'Plor MSO (in 40mm though) on my bike that does it's fair share of gravel and love them. Great grip but loose enough to enjoy, well built and realtively high volume so when you drop pressure the ride evens out a bit. They come in 32mm in both 60 & 120 TPI. The ones I have are a second pair, the first held up well for over 2500+ miles.