So I Have A Toddler AND Am Trying To Lose Weight

Options
I never had issues with weight pre-baby, so after I had my son trying to lose the weight from him & the 3-month hospital stay is so frustrating.

My husband is an enabler, he has the highest metabolism in the world and so he snacks out all the time & it is so hard to resist when there are chips, and ice cream and snacks everywhere!

Plus, between my wonderful 3 year old and crazy work schedule I feel like when I get home I barely have time to cook dinner and clean my kitchen, how do I make those meals healthier and squeeze in a workout when all I want to do is lay on my couch and die a little?

Replies

• melisj5
    melisj5 Posts: 23 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I was having the same issues with my daughter. She's about six months old and I was having a hard time exercising because she would get fussy every time I started to. I also work a full time job, so my time is pretty limited. I put her in bed at 8 each night and I do my exercising immediately afterwards. I want to just relax at that point, but I tell myself it's just 30 minutes and the sooner I get done, the sooner I can laze around.
  • Longtobelean
    Longtobelean Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Some people like to get up early and do it before work. I personally do like the PP and wait until kids are in bed and do it then. If I don't let myself watch any of my shows until I work out, I tend to do it more. I am currently pregnant with #4, so I haven't been working out near as consistently.
  • tayortoeknee
    tayortoeknee Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like to plan out meals for the week and pre-prepare as much as possible on Sundays, or just when I can. That way most of what you have to do is put something in the oven, or reheat it. It really opens up your time, lets you plan out healthier things, AND reduces waste so you save money on your food bill. I also cook my own bread and bagels (the dough can be frozen so I literally can prepare near a month's supply in one sitting), so that allows me to really get healthier food in us, instead of eating all of those additives for convenience.
  • pamperedgirl83
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I found some videos on you tube on exercising with your toddler. My son thought it was funny. He is also a big boy so using him as a weight was a work out of its own.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    My youngest is 2 so I try to exercise around his schedule. Some days he attempts to work out with me, other days I just wait until his afternoon nap and then I work out. When I use weights I just give him two tv remotes and he feels as though he is working out too. I'm not a morning or a night person so waking up early and waiting until they go to sleep doesn't work for me because I have 4 other kids besides the toddler. As far as eating healthier I most days just cook my own meal and cook something else for the others. My husband does not eat healthy at all so some days I am cooking up to 3 different dinners. Other days I use a crock pot to prepare healthier meals because of time constraints.
  • Longtobelean
    Longtobelean Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My youngest is 2 so I try to exercise around his schedule. Some days he attempts to work out with me, other days I just wait until his afternoon nap and then I work out. When I use weights I just give him two tv remotes and he feels as though he is working out too. I'm not a morning or a night person so waking up early and waiting until they go to sleep doesn't work for me because I have 4 other kids besides the toddler. As far as eating healthier I most days just cook my own meal and cook something else for the others. My husband does not eat healthy at all so some days I am cooking up to 3 different dinners. Other days I use a crock pot to prepare healthier meals because of time constraints.

I would be very upset to cook up to 3 different meals! That is horrible. We take the preschool philisophy in our house--"take what you get and don't throw a fit." I wouldn't have time to cook more than one meal! We do however, meal plan for 2 weeks at a time. So if there is a meal that someone really wants, it goes on a day for one of those days in the 2 week span and everyone has it that night. For example, my 8 year old was really craving stuffed peppers, so we are having them soon.
  • ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options

I would be very upset to cook up to 3 different meals! That is horrible. We take the preschool philisophy in our house--"take what you get and don't throw a fit." I wouldn't have time to cook more than one meal! We do however, meal plan for 2 weeks at a time. So if there is a meal that someone really wants, it goes on a day for one of those days in the 2 week span and everyone has it that night. For example, my 8 year old was really craving stuffed peppers, so we are having them soon.

I don't think it's horrible most days. I have the time so I do it. Days I don't have the time I don't and will only cook between 1-2 meals.