Noob!

Options
I am starting StrongLifts tonight. I wanted a program that challenges myself and builds muscle.

I'm going to browse around the posts to see if I can have any of my pending questions about the program answered first, and if not, I'll be sure to ask!

L.

Replies

• danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Welcome! There's lots of us newbies here, and lots of veterans and plenty of amazing people who reach out and are helpful.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I am starting StrongLifts tonight.

waiting to hear how that went . . . ;)

there's a daily check-in thread where most of us post our workout reports, so jump right in if you feel like it.
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    I will post in that thread!
  • floridachikk
    floridachikk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm new, too! Did my first Strong Lifts workout yesterday. I'm excited to finally be working with a program that is more straight forward. :smiley: The only thing that didn't thrill me was the rest times... I know right now it's easy, and later I will be glad for them... But what am I supposed to do during the rest times? :S *Goes to search the threads*
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone during the rest times, convenient since I use the app (I turned on the notifications so that it alerts me when rest time is up but I usually pay enough attention to the time to set up a little before the time is up). I usually read up on the lift for tips on form while I'm on my phone or I am looking at facebook, texting my husband about my lifts when I'm proud, reading the news etc.

If I don't feel like being on the phone, I look around and see what other people are doing. There's a guy that is always at the gym when I am that I like to stare at because he is HUGE. Then I get embarrassed if someone catches me looking haha. Sometimes I pace around the weights like a crazy person if I'm feeling restless but usually I reserve this for when I do rows in the group fitness room so not too many people see me.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Well, I workout at home, so I will usually walk around a bit to get my steps up or dance to my music :p
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    I just walk around a bit and drink some water. They do seem a little long at the beginning, but I definitely think they're helping me now that I'm lifting heavier.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i stretch a lot. especially doing head-start stretching getting ready for the other lifts that will be coming up.
  • floridachikk
    floridachikk Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the tips! Yeah, I try to pretend no one is there so I don't get self-conscious hanging out in testosterone land. Hand weights weren't nearly as intimidating as the bar. The one guy I did manage to stare at was the guy hogging the squat rack. It was bad enough that he put his sweaty towel ob the bar to mark his territory. But then I had to watch him only go halfway down to a legs parallel position. Like a 45 angle. O.o Who knows, I'm a noob, so maybe it's a legit exercise. ... Maybe he wasn't trying to do squats at all. ... O.O
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Be careful when you stare at people. I smiled at a guy a few times and now he tries to work out next to whatever I'm doing.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Just for fun --

From WikiHow - "How to Avoid Being Chatted Up at the Gym":

Get the “eye of the tiger” during your workout. If you are bored and looking around the room, the gym talkers will smell your boredom like a group of vampires at a blood bank. Even if you are bored out of your mind, cultivate that look of extreme focus that people won’t want to mess with or most importantly drum up a conversation.

- Don’t smile. This will make you look approachable and open opportunities for gym talkers to approach and talk to you.
    - Never make eye contact with anyone. If you act like you are super focused on your workout, you won’t be looking into anyone else’s eyes. Make eye contact with the wrong person and you could be trapped in conversation.
    - Allow for the occasional grunt. No one really wants to talk to the person with the tennis scream or grunt so allow yourself to fully express that you feel the burn during your workout.

(I can't actually tell if the article is being serious, but I think it's hilarious.)

And one more:

b3a26e853602325e22596ff560ce50c3.jpg