Never be ashamed!

Options
xael1234
xael1234 Posts: 51 Member
I've noticed some posts around here where people say they are embarrassed and ashamed to go outside or walk outside or do things in public because of their weight. I was like that for 2 years. Barely left the house, no friends, just my immediate family. Then I had an eye opener and started this journey august 1st.
Don't EVER be ashamed of how you look right now, We are all here because we are on the journey to a healthier fitter slimmer version of ourselves, don't be ashamed of that. Hold your heads high because you are fighting every day to get healthier. People laugh or stare, ignore them, they do not define who you are. So many people have their struggles on the inside, ours just happen to be pretty visible. Does NOT make us any worse or them any better.
Weight loss, a healthier you will NOT happen overnight although I wish it would. I wish we could be ok, I'm healthy now, poof 200lbs gone, but it takes time. The people that mock us, laugh at us, insult us for being heavy they don't know where we are on our fitness journeys and don't any of you DARE to let them diminish your resolve or make you feel less than you are. I will keep saying it, each one of us has a purpose, we have a life to live, don't let small minded, ignorant, mean spirited people who clearly have their own issues to face derail you for yours!!
God Bless

Replies

• krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Nicely said. I remember my Mom being afraid to eat out at a restaurant because she was heavy. It was so sad. We never got to go out with her. If we were on vacation, my Dad would take my brother and me out to eat and then bring my Mom something to eat back at the hotel. I knew I never wanted to repeat this situation.

99.9% of the time I'm fine going out in public. It's that .1% that gets me, but when it does, I just hold my head up high, put a smile on my face, and remind myself that everyone has their problems; don't let their thinner outsides fool you into thinking they don't or that they're better than you.

I pray everyone who is struggling to get healthier reads your post and feels a bit more encouraged by what you've said.

Blessing to all, A*
  • xael1234
    xael1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I was ashamed and didnt really leave the house. I think there was underlying issues, but I am not sure what they are. I'm in counselling because I am determined in this not to fall back into old patterns. i know why I ate so much and just ignored it. Honestly I don't even remember how I got as heavy as I did, I just know it will take me a while to lose it and I can't isolate myself while I try. I need to get out!!!!! lol
  • Valereee
    Valereee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That was a great post, xael -- very well said! I, too, stayed in the house many, many years. In fact, I worked from home for 18 years and only went into the office once per year. I was over 400 when I started my walking regime. I got sick of the cars full of teenagers screaming out the window, laughing and taunting me. Now I don't walk unless I'm blasting music on my iPod, wearing my pink ear buds so I can't hear them. People in the park are usually nice to me -- they wave, smile & give me a thumbs up. People in Walmart sometimes not nice but I don't care! Today I walked through Walmart with my daughter and she remarked that it's the first time we've shopped together in Walmart since she was in junior high (she's almost 33 now).

So you're right when you said "I need to get out!!!" And Anne, I used to do the same thing: My family would go to a restaurant and I'd be too embarrassed so they'd go without me and bring me back a to-go order.

My walking shoes are still on so y'all have motivated me to go make one more pass around the block! Have a great evening!!
  • krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Nice response, Valereee. I'm so proud of you for getting out there! And for the awesome weight loss too. We just have to keep on going. I am very much aware that I was just one more pound or two away from being just like my Mom. But then I thought to myself, "It took a lot to get to this size and you know it's gonna' take a lot to be healthier. Come what may, focus on feeling better. Take it one day at a time, not worrying about what others may think or say. They don't matter. You do!"

God bless and keep up the awesome job!
  • sysof
    sysof Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Inspirational post!

I've always been introverted, which I like actually, and shy, which is bothersome, and had a very nasty spell of severe social anxiety, which caused me to drop out of college and never go back, and I think it all plays into why I gained so much weight partially.

I don't go out except to shop once each week and visit my elderly father. I have no friends and would have no clue how to make any. This isn't supposed to come off a sob story. Haha!

It's tough to not be affected by the comments, stares, laughs, etc. This process of losing weight and regaining health is so much more than just physical. So much to learn along the way.