Cold Weather Runners

Options
PinkNinjaLaura
PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
I live in Minnesota & have been running for about a year and a half.

Last winter I did the majority of my weekend (longer) runs outside. I learned how to layer to stay comfortable while I was running, but once I'm back in the house I get really cold & can't seem to warm up. I just went for a 73 minute run in 30F degree temps (which really isn't very cold) and was fine on my run but 15 minutes after I got in the house I started shivering. I'm brewing tea & will start bundling up, but I'm wondering if this happens to anyone else. Suggestions?

Replies

• estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    This will be the first winter for me as a runner (I obviously don't have an answer to your question, sorry), so I'm curious to know how you all handle the cold. I live in Scandinavia so it obviously gets really cold sometimes, and I don't know where the line goes between "uncomfortable" and "dangerous".
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I live in Massachusetts and have this same problem. I haven't figured out 100% how to stop it from happening but I have found that if I go somewhere at an in-between temperature while I am cooling down it seems to help. I will go in my garage or in my basement which is usually significantly cooler for 10-15 minutes cool down/stretch. This seems to help my body adjust.
  • kkramey1970
    kkramey1970 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Its happened to me before but it was because I needed food. I run first thing in the morning and rarely used to eat before I left.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I lived in Minnesota for many years and used to run all winter. I do not remember experiencing what you are describing. Are you sure you are not coming down with something? A cold or a flu? Maybe it is just because it is one of your first few runs in a colder month, and by the time December rolls around you will be acclimated. Good luck!
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I know what you are saying, usually a good hot shower for me warms me right up. or i'll take a bath and just soak in the heat...it does help though to not go from FREEZING cold to really hot in the house...I usually hang out in the garage, drink my powerade...let my body warm up a bit from outside and then go inside the house. I find if I go from really cold to really warm too fast it doesn't go well for me. Good luck.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I find this happens to me too and like ( above poster) I'll have a hot shower or bath to warm up. I'll give hanging out in the garage for a while a go and see if that helps. Good luck with finding what works for you.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I plan my winter runs so that as soon as I get back to the house I can jump in a hot shower. I find that I don't get really, really cold until I stop moving and the sweat starts to evaporate off my skin. A lot of time I'll turn the shower on right away and let it steam up the bathroom while I grab my change of clothes, etc, and then just stand in the warm bathroom a few minutes before I get in.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yup. Hot shower. I travel an hour by car home after my long runs. I change right away into dry clothes for the drive and then get in a long, hot shower as soon as I get home. Then a nap with lots of blankets :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    When you are running your body is generating a lot of heat. After your run you will stay warm for about 10-15 minutes, afterwards as our body starts returning to normal you get cold. This is normal, I use it as my sign to change into dry clothes or jump in the shower.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    One more to vote on hot shower.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    +1 hot shower

edited to correct ! to 1
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    I get the same way as you. If you can't hop in shower right away, change out of your sweaty clothes or if you aren't sweaty just layer back up. I got that way on Sunday and it wasn't that cold, probably mid 40's but then again I ran in shorts and a short sleeve shirt (I get really hot running) after half hour drive home and probably 45 minutes at home, the cold hit me and I was really COLD..so I hopped in the shower.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I get really cold too, sometimes I take the shower, sometimes I just curl up under a blanket, sometimes I put a layer back on (since half the time I'm so hot upon coming inside, I strip off a layer)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I have a front porch on my house that would be a good transition area. I also probably don't change clothes quickly enough so I'll pull off my running clothes & layer up with my dry indoor clothes. I don't think about being sweaty when it's that cold out, but of course I am sweating under my layers.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hot shower and a little food works for me. And a glass or two of wine :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Laura6887 wrote: »
    I also probably don't change clothes quickly enough so I'll pull off my running clothes & layer up with my dry indoor clothes.

Wait until you actually get cold to change. If you immediately jump into clean clothes while you are still hot you will sweat them up and make them gross.

• SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I bought an electric blanket. On Amazon, it's called a Mind & Body Electric Spa Wrap. It's like a heated bath towel. OMG - So wonderful!
  • catchkristi
    catchkristi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too am a Minnesotan who runs all winter long. Winter is my very favorite running season, it is peaceful and crisp on the trails on a winter morning. Love it. Unless it's icy, then I hate it :) I am lucky, I have a 105 degree hot tub, warms me up down to my bones. Happy Running!
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I run year round in upstate NY. I get out of my running gear as soon as I walk back into the house, dry off with a "sweat towel", cool down for about 15 minutes while I rehydrate and then it is straight into the hot tub for some post running stretches. I second the shower idea and then getting into dry layers.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Here I thought layering properly for running outside was complicated -- turns out the hard part starts when I get back home again.