HELLO! hello?

Options
peacehawk
peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
Hi all, I'm excited that this group is up to 50 people! I have quickly become fond of this group of awesome folks whom I've never met.

Sadly, I have also seen that only a handful of us are talking :'( I know I talk too much, and I'm hoping I'm not doing that here. I don't want to scare people away, or make people feel self conscious about speaking. One of the best parts about conversations is the listening.

I would love to hear people introduce themselves and yap a bit.

Here are a few probing (I mean prompting) questions. Answer one, answer all, make up more, or just freestyle it...

Where are you from?
Why do you want to lose weight?
Do you have any pets?
Who do you want to be when you grow up?
Are you in love?
What is your favorite book/movie/tv show/food/song?
What is your favorite calorie burning activity?
What creative things do you like to do?
Do you play an instrument?

In short, who are you and who would you like to be?

Honest, I'm not a stalker. Just curious who I'm talking to.

Replies

• WWnot
    WWnot Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Dear Curious - Montreal, so many reasons, a horse-sized dog, independently wealthy, yes, too many books to mention, hmmmm favourite or most effective?...racquet sports/running (slowly), to learn new stuff...racquet sports, decent vegetarian/vegan cooking but things I've got to find time to learn: guitar, dancing, Italian, how to use my sewing machine, how to use my power tools, how to use my roller blades without breaking any bones, how to play hockey..., I played the piano as a child and should sit at the bench again and give it a try. So much to do and learn, so little time although I'm not really THAT old and am in good health so might actually be able to check a few things off my list. :-)
  • peacehawk
    Options
    WWnot wrote: »
    Dear Curious - Montreal, so many reasons, a horse-sized dog, independently wealthy, yes, too many books to mention, hmmmm favourite or most effective?...racquet sports/running (slowly), to learn new stuff...racquet sports, decent vegetarian/vegan cooking but things I've got to find time to learn: guitar, dancing, Italian, how to use my sewing machine, how to use my power tools, how to use my roller blades without breaking any bones, how to play hockey..., I played the piano as a child and should sit at the bench again and give it a try. So much to do and learn, so little time although I'm not really THAT old and am in good health so might actually be able to check a few things off my list. :-)

Thank you for sharing!Love that.

My grandparents were from Bonaventure in Quebec province. I remember going to an incredible bakery in Montreal when I was about 5. they had huge wood ovens and sold this amazing caramel sauce. weird I still remember so vividly.

My partner plays guitar so beautifully, but won't play publicly, even though she used to. I sing, but don't read music very well, so don't play an instrument, although I have a guitar and keyboard. one day, one day. I always have music in my head. Some my own, and some other people's.

What kind of dog? I used to have a mini horse sized giant schnauzer. Now have 3 medium mutts.
  • WWnot
    Options
    We still have incredible bakeries but i avoid them like the plague (perhaps i shouldn't be using that expression these days?) out of respect for my MFP obligations. I am supposed to be able to read music but as a kid, faked my way through my piano lessons because i could play by ear (the kid tunes). Sadly, as an adult, I'm pretty much back at the beginning. The good news is that I have both a piano AND sheet music.
    My horse-dog is a mix of Irish Wolfhound and Airedale. He has the woosie temperament of the Wolfhound and that's a good thing; while he is afraid of most things his fear response is to back far, far away rather than attack. A rather large and loveable goof, i must say. And an only dog; he takes up enough space for two or more.
    And wrt your other post about brussel sprout leaves...i had know idea! I have to get into the habit of sautéing greens; does kale soften up if you saute it? I get some every Tuesday in my organic farmer's basket and so far, it's been going into smoothies. Hope you don't mind the 2 for 1 response! And let's make it 3 for 1 - had a good day on track with the meals, spent some time in the gym after work and have successfully avoided the evening snacking monster by checking in with MFP. And tomorrow it all starts over again... Have a good day in all ways.
  • WWnot
    Options
    earlier post, take 2: "And wrt your other post about brussel sprout leaves...i had NO idea!" Argh.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    We still have incredible bakeries but i avoid them like the plague (perhaps i shouldn't be using that expression these days?) out of respect for my MFP obligations. I am supposed to be able to read music but as a kid, faked my way through my piano lessons because i could play by ear (the kid tunes). Sadly, as an adult, I'm pretty much back at the beginning. The good news is that I have both a piano AND sheet music.
    My horse-dog is a mix of Irish Wolfhound and Airedale. He has the woosie temperament of the Wolfhound and that's a good thing; while he is afraid of most things his fear response is to back far, far away rather than attack. A rather large and loveable goof, i must say. And an only dog; he takes up enough space for two or more.
    And wrt your other post about brussel sprout leaves...i had know idea! I have to get into the habit of sautéing greens; does kale soften up if you saute it? I get some every Tuesday in my organic farmer's basket and so far, it's been going into smoothies. Hope you don't mind the 2 for 1 response! And let's make it 3 for 1 - had a good day on track with the meals, spent some time in the gym after work and have successfully avoided the evening snacking monster by checking in with MFP. And tomorrow it all starts over again... Have a good day in all ways.

Yes, kale will act the same. it needs a bit of time to soften up though. for kale, I usually do it the way Southerners here do (my stepdad lived in New Orleans as a kid, and my partner is a millitary brat with mostly southern posts). The way I do it is a lot healthier than the traditional way, but sooo delicious. It isn't vegetarian, although can easily be adapted:

Put a smoked turkey leg or other smoked turkey part into a big soup pot.
    Add a few cloves of garlic
    Add a whole bunch of cleaned, rough chopped kale or whatever other kind of hearty greens you want like collards, mustard, brussels, etc. a combination is nice, too.
    Add enough water or veggetable stock to cover. Simmer for hours, until tender.
    Serve with a splash of vinegar and a dash of salt, if you want.

For vegetarian version, leave out the turkey, and add whatever spices you want to bump up the flavor. try red pepper flakes, bay leaf, or whatever sounds good.

Greens taste a little bitter, but not too much, similar to spinach.

I was hesitant about kale at first, because I had only ever seen it used as a garnish, but it really is delicious cooked this way. I make it in huge batches, then divide and freeze it for later.

Your dog sounds like I would love him.
  • peacehawk
    Options
    Oh yeah, kale and other greens are great chopped up and added to almost any soup. I have put them into bean soup, chicken soup and veggie soup. I have also heard that kale chips are addictive, and even kids love them!

• peacehawk
    Options
    sfbw725f8ah4.jpg

This is my king sized bed, full of dogs. One dog has since died, so picture a fat cat in the smaller black dog's place. I sometimes wake up sideways in bed.
  • WWnot
    Options
    You are very talented; attaching photos and sleeping sideways! I have only one of those 2 talents and it isn't loading a photo into the text box! Is it just a cut and paste?
    Just picked up my last "summer basket" from the organic farmer who delivers to the office parking lot and registered for the 6 "winter baskets". Today's basket included kale, butternut squash, beets, carrots etc. And beautiful spinach. Man, I love veggies!!! The winter baskets will be full of root veggies and kale so I'll have lots of opportunity to experiment with kale. I've been using it in smoothies b/c the naturopath was concerned that I wasn't eating enough protein and the protein powder that she wants me to have within the 1st hour of getting up in the morning is most palatable via smoothie. Not sure which was more difficult...the "must" within the 1st hour or the learning to drink my breakfast. But the result is a pretty low calorie breakfast that doesn't require any brain power to make and is comprised of the kale leaf, a cup of water, 1.5c of fruit and a scoop of the powder. It certainly makes it faster to get out of the house in the morning!
    Did I understand from another of your recent posts that you work nights? If so, does that pose additional challenges for meal planning as well as how your body feels/responds to the shift in sleep rhythms?
  • peacehawk
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You are very talented; attaching photos and sleeping sideways! I have only one of those 2 talents and it isn't loading a photo into the text box! Is it just a cut and paste?

Did I understand from another of your recent posts that you work nights? If so, does that pose additional challenges for meal planning as well as how your body feels/responds to the shift in sleep rhythms?

On the photos, I discovered a tiny camera icon in the reply box here. It lets you attach photos.

Yes, working nights definitely posts challenges to eating right. I find myself often going way too long to eat sometimes, and that messes with my blood sugar. If I go too long between eating, my sugars go high. Even though I can eat the food at work, I mostly bring my own so I know what's in it. I do often eat cheese, fruit or veggies that are there, and sometimes I add their milk to a protein drink that I bring. I try to bring healthy salads, leftover soup, or whole grain sandwiches, then space out the food, like snacking or grazing. that seems to work best. the other problem is eating at home. my partner and I sometimes only see each other during meals, as she is sleeping when I get home and am awake , then, when she wakes me for dinner, if we haven't preplanned a meal the night before, often I wake up to pizza or some other temptation. I've started trying to eat very low cal/high protein/high fiber snacks at work so I can eat the other stuff with her. sometimes that leaves me lots of wiggle room to splurge when we share a meal. She has chronic pancriatitis, so there are times she is totally on liquids. I think I eat better then, because I try to be mindful and eat a lot of raw stuff so she doesn't have to smell it and be tempted during those times. Also, working nights makes my sleep schedule a mess, and makes me tired and short of time to excercise. Sometimes I walk while at work, but haven't gotten a real workout in for a while. Right now though, I get plenty of excercise getting our large yard and garden ready for winter. we are expecting snow on Friday.

5yf76lo072hq.jpg
  • WWnot
    Options
    If you would like, I came across a recipe that I quite like because it is high protein, high fibre, low calorie and fast, tasty and easy to make...and can be made in advance and reheated. It uses chickpea flour and I'd be happy to share it with you. Just let me know. It's a skillet sized chickpea pancake that I've served with guacamole, fresh salsa and 0% Greek yogurt. I will try it with other combinations soon. My daughter has gone so far as to cut one in half and use it as "sandwich" bread. Frankly, my success or lack thereof is based on the degree to which I can stay organized for the next meals and activities on the horizon. Planning, planning, planning, and it's tough when there aren't enough hours in the day to fit in the things we must plus, very importantly, the things we'd like and that help us deal with the "musts". And when we order pizza, our usual order is "thin crust, half veggie, half all dressed"; perhaps a customized order along those lines might help?
    This is the time of the year that I'm getting fresh produce into the freezer; I've learned over time that I have to turn it into meals before I freeze it because otherwise it's easier to order or pick up food when we're too tired to cook. I had to get rid of several seasons of freezer burned produce before I learned to turn things into soup and veggie stews and such and then freeze them. I was a slow learner for sure! Many winter nights, supper is defrosted soup and a grilled cheese sandwich in front of the fireplace/tv. For the most part, it's just my husband and me and I'm glad he's easy about these things - he's retired and I'm not, and so he's keen to have things ready when I get home, as long as I let him know what to get ready. Which isn't to say that he doesn't surprise me with his own creations and planning. :-)
    I looked up chronic pancreatitis. Yikes! Can it be controlled by diet or is it more controlled with medication (likely both, I expect)? Are there extended periods for her without discomfort? And medical advances underway to improve treatment? (I realize that I'm prying and understand a MYOB response).
    And btw, from garden clean up experience and the resulting Monday morning hamstring and butt pain, you'll be getting a great work-out this week getting your huge yard ready for winter!
    I hope you're having a good week in the fresh air!
    Back to work I go. Hi ho!
  • Surfingbodi
    Surfingbodi Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    hi peacehawk and WWnot! so glad to see you two are here as I need some connections to stay motivated and you two sharing about your lives makes me want to log in. i drifted a way a bit for a few days from MFP due to a number of decent reasons but I do not want that to be my norm as i just can't seem to make permanent changes to improve my health alone anymore as my responsibilities to my kids and my dad seem to always become more important than my own 'good' health rather than just 'surviving' health.

Ok, so I have two dogs now - black lab and yorkie. We just found a new home for our beautiful great pyr and it has broken our hearts but we moved into town and one neighbor was about to go insane with his barking which I understand.

I want to lose weight for two reasons. 1. I seem to have lost total control of it and have gained 20 lb in about 18 months and it continues to climb and I am not use to not being this big AND my clothes do not fit - including my darn underwear! Not ok. 2. I am use to easily being fit and getting strong quickly and now that I am older, that just does not come very easily anymore so I need to be consistent year around to keep the level of fitness and health I would like to have. I am only the beginnings of my 50s and I am lucky to live in a community where we have super fit active women even into their 60s and 70s to know that it is possible and it takes work and commitment.

No love but my kids as that is all I can handle for now.
    Fav books as of late probably The Red Tent, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and the Game of Throne series.
    I play a little guitar (very little)
    Favorite calorie burning activity is surfing but since I live so far from the ocean, the next is snowboarding.
    Creative things? I am a science geek mostly but I am taking this super cool course in art therapy that is just blowing my mind!

How are you two doing with your food/exercise, etc.?

Gari
  • peacehawk
    Options
    My exercise these days is usually doing double duty, cleaning, gardening,picking up dog poop and walking at work. My weight loss has slowed down for a few reasons. 1) I eat better and track more honestly when I am the only one in the household eating solid food, I can cook for myself and to my own tastes that way. 2) my partner has brought pizza home a couple times in the past couple weeks, and it's very hard to resist. 3) my body is starting to get used to the lower calorie intake, which means I have to start excercising in an excercisey way. I'm hoping to really step it up once gardening season is totally done for the year.

I heard that there is quite a growing community of people who are paddle boarding, and even surfing a bit on the great lakes. Are you anywhere near there? that might be a non-ocean alternative for you.

Red Tent was an awesome book. I read it a few years ago. I used to work in a book store, so I have way too many books taking up space. I haven't read or seen game of thrones, but it has had a dedicated following for years. We used to get huge stacks of them when new ones were released, and people would practically drool at each new one. I am a scifi fantasy buff. That used to be "my" section at the store. Some of my favorites were Terry Brooks Shanarra series, Anne McCaffrey- pretty much anything, but mostly the dragon Riders series. Orson Scott Card Enders series. for individual books...The Handmaid's Tale, The Fifth Sacred Thing, anything by Sheri Tepper, and Marion Zimmer Bradley's book about Morgan of King Aurther fame. Of course, I also like some of the classics like Fehrenheit 451, Animal Farm, and 1984.

Today I worked in the kitchen and in the garden. Right now I have a pot of chicken stock brewing, and another of vegetable stock. I will freeze the chicken stock, and either freeze or can the veggie stock. I love having them on hand to add extra nutrients and flavor to soups, cassaroles, etc.
  • Surfingbodi
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Wow peace hawk! You are amazing! I am sad to say I have not had a garden the past two years.

I actually do sup (stand up paddle boarding) and bought my own this year and got an inflatable. I use it primarily on rivers, esp rio grande since that's my back yard. Took it o ocean this year as well and loved that! I think what I love about surfing so much is mostly how the ocean seems to just to take all my stress away when I'm in the water. So. Cal has lots of dolphins that come to you when you are out which is just incredible. Love love love it!

Thx for the info on SCI Fi books. I just goy really into the genre as my top choice about 6 years ago but don't know much more that the Dune series and some of Ursula Le guin which I love so I am flagging your post here! Ok not flagging as that means bad :(. Rather I am copying it into my reading notes!

:)
  • WWnot
    Options
    So, if you were each to recommend one Sci Fi book to me that you think would get me hooked on sci fi reading, which book would it be. I am an avid reader, but Sci Fi has never lured me in. However, I'd be prepared to give it try. (And then I could add it to the Bragging board! ;-) )
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    hmmm. there are so many and some i find interesting that they even fall into the sci fi genre but here are a few of my favs so far!

The Dune Chronicles, by Frank Herbert
    Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?, by Philip K. Dick
    A Song Of Ice And Fire Series, by George R. R. Martin
    Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley
    The Stand, by Stephen King
  • WWnot
    Options
    Thanks so much! I've read BNW, think I've heard the title "Song of Ice and Fire" but perhaps didn't know it was a series of books, have avoided S. King b/c I thought he was a horror specialist and I don't want nightmares and saw a bad movie named "Dune", most likely completely unrelated. However, I love this title: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep!! :-) And I really hope that Phil Dick is a pseudonym or else he had really mean parents.
  • peacehawk
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Too funny. I think I would change my name.

One book.
    For SciFi, I would probably choose "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card.
    For Fantasy, I would probably choose "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" by J.K. Rowling. I know it's a kids' book, but it is well written and interesting and fun. It has hooked many people into the genre.

And, the two genres don't have to be serious and deep either. To laugh your butt off, try "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, or "the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams. (I read that one at a time in my life when I was extremely depressed and had nothing to call my own. I would read it while riding the bus to work and people stared at me because I was laughing so hard, seemingly for no reason. I think they though I was crazy. I may have been a bit. The ability to laugh, as vital as it is to my life, was almost nonexistant at that moment. The Hitchhiker's Guide helped me get back to my weird self. It's really hard to stay depressed when you laugh so hard you can't take a deep breath!)

I tried to read Dune, as any self respecting scifi buff should, but I couldn't get past the first couple chapters. Maybe I'm not really that hard core or something. Yes, the movie is based on the book.

I read The Stand during the summer, while my allergies were acting up or I had a cold. Not such a good idea! I kept (half jokingly) thinking to myself that I had the plague! I really like Stephen King. I resisted reading him for a long time because he writes so many, so prolifically, and they always end up on the best seller list. It felt rigged. He is actually a very good author. I think a lot of his stuff is inspired by his nightmares. I also readdy loved one that I haven't heard of as being a huge hit: Rose Madder.

What other genres do you like to read? I also like historical fiction, inspirational stories of real people, and some mysteries.
  • Surfingbodi
    Options
    I must admit I love anything by Nevada Barr and Lindsey Davis!!!
  • WWnot
    Options
    Thanks very much to you both. I think I'll try Good Omens and A Song of Ice and Fire.
    I'm a pretty eclectic reader as long as the book/story is engaging. I also listen to books on CD for my commute into the office each day. Because I sit all day for work, my evenings are for moving my behind. An engaging ebook or audiobook distracts from my sweating workouts on the Arc machine or the stationary bike. I like historical fiction along the lines of Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall and Bringing up the Bones, the Scandinavian crime authors, I've recently been enjoying Dennis LeHane's writing - both the mysteries and the historical novels (just finished Live by Night) and I generally check to see who the Giller/Man Booker/ GG award nominees are and check out those books. Not sure whether Half of a Yellow Sun and Purple Hisbiscus by Chimanda Ngozi Adichie are considered historical fiction (and her Americanah), but I enjoyed those as much for the rich storytelling as well as the opportunity to learn more about another location. Same goes for Jhumpa Lahiri's books (The Lowland, The Namesake). Great story-telling, with the added bonus of getting into the heads of experiences that are different from mine.
    - So it's probably easier to say that I don't read romance(s), non-fiction, biographies and until now, I haven't tried SciFi or Fantasy. SciFi has a reputation in my mind as bleak, violent and full of despair. I read 1984 in high school and it has stayed with me. As has Lord of the Flies. Both make me shudder. I look for a certain degree of escapism from a fairly intense job.
    - I've never heard of Lindsey David and Nevada Barr but I will definitely check them out too! Have you tried Elizabeth George's Detective Lynley books? And Louise Penny's Armand Gamache books set in the fictional town of Three Pines in eastern Quebec? They're great for my commute...nothing more lovely that a rich baritone English accent telling me an engaging story while I'm stuck in traffic. Does wonders for preventing road rage and commuter frustration.
    - Sorry if this is too much info!
  • fitb440goal
    fitb440goal Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hey - I love the conversations that you guys have been having. So I decided to chime in...
    - Hi all, I'm excited that this group is up to 50 people! I have quickly become fond of this group of awesome folks whom I've never met.

Where are you from? Michigan but moved all over growing up
    Why do you want to lose weight? So that I can be stronger and healthy. My family has a history of diabetes so I want to delay the diagnosis as long as possible.
    Do you have any pets? Yes, three dogs. Two neopolitan mastiffs that weigh over 150 lbs each and a little miniature pinscher.
    Who do you want to be when you grow up? Oh, geez... I have to grow up?
    Are you in love? Yes, married the love of my life 15 years ago. Very blessed to have met him just out of high school.
    What is your favorite book/movie/tv show/food/song? Love old Dean Koontz novels and The Steve Miller Band song The Joker is my fav
    What is your favorite calorie burning activity? I like activities that don't really feel like their burning calories because you're having so much fun. Like walking around a new place when we travel. In July I started with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, then I did her 6 week 6 pack, and now I'm doing Body Revolution. So far I've lost lots of inches and about 30 lbs so the hard work is paying off.
    What creative things do you like to do? Create data visualizations... yup I'm a data geek...
    Do you play an instrument? I played piano for a little bit growing up but didn't stick with it. I have so much respect for people that can play an instrument. My daughters are both very interested in music.

I'm glad to be a part of this group. Logging my weight and being a part of a group with similar goals is really helpful to me because I think it makes me more accountable.