Purposefully adding activity to your everyday life

Options
pawoodhull
pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
I just posted this on my wall but thought I would add it here too. Just like we need to be mindful of our eating, we also need to be mindful of our activities/movements throughout our days.

I just went to the basement in my building to get the mail and since I needed to also go to the bank branch on the first floor, I took the stairs. Our stairwell doors are locked past the 2nd floor so I can't do the stairs all the way to my 10th floor office. I don't count these things as "exercise" that I log, but I find myself doing things like the stairs rather than the elevator, or walking the long way around the floor, just being more active in a purposeful way. So my question to all of you is, are you purposely moving more? What do you purposely do in your day that's additional movement or "exercise" just because you can or because it gives you a few more calories burned?

Pat

Replies

• katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I take the stairs, as you mentioned. Also, when stress is high, I choose to take a walk instead of eat - even if it is just a 3 minute walk across the office to grab a bottle of water. I also stopped making lunch dates with girlfriend who work nearby my office, and instead, we do lunchtime walking dates, with no food and drink involved. I make it a point to chase my kids around the house when the little guy gets cranky - it never fails to cheer him up and I enjoy it, too. I still like to watch TV at night, but when there is nothing good on, instead of just lolling around half-heartedly watching something I don't really care for, I will get off the couch and do a quick, 5 minute, house-cleaning sprint.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I forgot something upstairs this morning and I ran up and got it. My stairs are extra long because I have really high ceilings. Yes, not a big deal for most, but with my back, it's a triiumph to be able to do it now without thinking too hard about it. the temptation was to leave it up there until I went up tonight. I chose not to. I'm grocery shopping today. Not a big deal for most people, but a major physical outing for me. I've never used those electric carts. Frankly, I'm afraid I'll run somebody over, or maybe make my back more uncomfortable. I went grocery shopping the other day when my son visited and was really proud of myself for doing a whole trip, with coupons, checking out and actually putting it ll away myself. I did have them lift the heavy stuff into the bottom of the cart, and when I was checking out, I got one of the employees to off load the goods onto the conveyor because my back was starting to protest the bending over. They also carried it out and put it in my cart for me. Still, it was a big deal. So I agree, do whatever you can, no matter how small. Just get up and move. Maybe dance to a favorite song. Just get up and move a little bit more and you'll see the results in your spirit and on the scale.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I put on Leslie Sansone walking in place videos while I am watching TV. It's really helpful because I don't feel like I am missing out on stuff I want to watch this way. While watching a movie last night I walked her 4 mile program and barely noticed I was doing it.
  • MistyHiker
    MistyHiker Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I work on the 8th floor but the main elevator only goes to the 7th. (8th floor was added later) So I try to never take the last elevator and walk up the last flight.

I don't mind parking farther from the store now. Used to I would always look for the closer parking spot. Now my kiddo complains sometime. MOM! you passed right by that closer spot! HEHE!
  • Shoefly318
    Shoefly318 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy but I have a hard time sleeping at night sometimes so in middle of the night instead of being restless in bed I'll walk around my house for like a half an hour sometimes.i notice I fall back to sleep faster too
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Shoefly318 wrote: »
    This may sound crazy but I have a hard time sleeping at night sometimes so in middle of the night instead of being restless in bed I'll walk around my house for like a half an hour sometimes.i notice I fall back to sleep faster too

Doesn't sound crazy at all. And it sure beats eating when you can't sleep. ;)

• bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I take the stairs at work as well. I don't think I'd seen the inside of the stairwell outside of the occasional fire drill a year and 1/2 ago.LOL! I also wear a Vivo Fit which reminds me to get up and walk for a bit every hour or so, even if it's just up a couple flights to the ice machine.
  • Shoefly318
    Shoefly318 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It's funny you say that. It was huge problem of mine I would snack a lot when I could not sleep

Doesn't sound crazy at all. And it sure beats eating when you can't sleep. ;)

[/quote]

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If I have to wait for any reason at all I start pacing. If anyone asks I hold up my fitbit and just say "almost to 10,000".
  • JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's just me and my husband at home, 3 post grad college students all away at school. My husband works from home so all the regular meals are still made. I put the radio or a CD on and dance all around the kitchen while cooking or cleaning, makes me happy!