When Do You Stop?

Options
So, not to be depressing, and understanding that we all run for different reasons, but what do you think will actually get you give up running? I love running and the freedom to choose to run when and how I please. I am currently going through multiple obstacles to running - all physical - and its making me ponder. Thoughts?

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    my husband is currently going through something like this. it is REALLY tough. if the issues are medical, is your care provider someone who works with athletes? they have more of an understanding of the emotions and dedication involved and can be more committed to getting you back into your sport, even if it means more difficult treatment routes.
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    I will stop running when I no longer feel joy in it and no longer feel it is beneficial. I have encountered major obstacle to my running this year, 1 with breathing issues and asthma and 2 with a nagging lower back strain that is taking forever to heal completely. I had to scale back my miles a lot this year but I am determined to get through it. When I do manage to get a run in, no matter how slow I go, I feel great after. I have more energy, I have less stress, and I am excited for my next run. When I lose this feeling, I will no longer run.

Good luck dealing with your challenges. If you want to run you will figure out a way to continue.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am or just have recovered from an overuse injury in my leg...self inflicted...I know.

In 2011 I had a major ski injury and I could not walk properly for nearly a year. Now I am running HMs.

I think I would stop running if I feel that it is doing me more harm than good in the long run, but I will try and overcome smaller obstacles as long as they are not detrimental to my long term health.

I know what it means when you can't walk, leave alone ski or any other sport for over a year and I do not want to go back there.

I wish you the best with your issues.

Stef.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Probably the 5th of never.
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'd like to say never, because I love it so much, but like others said, I will stop when it stops making me so damn happy. I wish you the best of luck with your struggles. I suffered a fractured foot, and torn MCL this year...and that could'nt stop me because I loved it. If you don't love it, don't push yourself to love it.
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    if it ever stops making me happy then I will stop, but I hope to be one of the those 90 year olds running marathons
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think we all run sometimes when it is misery. Maybe it is an injury. Maybe it is cold. Maybe we're just tired. But we go and that is preferable to not running. So I think it is hard for us to fathom.
    That said, I played soccer two or three times a week for many, many years, until about three years ago. Then I tore my ACL, and had surgery, and went through recovery, and gained a bit of weight for the first time in my entire life.
    The ordeal was too much. I do not want to go through that again. So I haven't played since. I quit. It was a big part of my identity.
    Do I miss it some days? Yes. But it hasn't been as bad as I thought it might. I have replaced it with a lot of other activities. I run more. I lift weights. And generally, I feel better. With soccer, I always had some injury. I had plantar fasciitis for YEARS from soccer. It seriously affected my running. I don't have that anymore. I get up in the morning, and I can walk without pain. That is really nice.
    So, yes, i can see quitting running. Some day. But I expect I will have to replace it with some other physical activity. I expect we all will.
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I don't see myself ever not running. If I don't want to, I won't. If I'm injured, I won't. But so far, I've been pretty consistent & I'm going into my 5th year of running.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    Options
    As I get older I get sentimental about the stuff I started and never stopped doing for nearly three decades. Running is one of these things. I have experienced so many highs and lows and a lot of average days while on roads and trails. The act of running is precious to me. It causes me to rest, to warm up, to stretch, to lift weights and to eat less. I will gladly do all these other things just so I can continue to run until the day I die. I realize that I might have to slow down to a walk but I won't do that until the late 80's (if family genetics are any indication). Besides, when you can't run then that's when you resort to biking and swimming, right? Most people stop running rather than to fix a problem (i.e. runner's knee, torn hamstring, back pain, torn meniscus, tendonitis, IT band, sesamoiditis, plantar fasciitis and so on). I even had shoulder surgery due to running. I fell on ice while running and had to have stuff reconnected after a major tear. People that truly love running will go figure it out and rehab so they can keep running. That's me. I realize that is not always possible however.
  • plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    NorthCountyDreamer said it just right.

I am turning 70 in 2 weeks. Ran this morning for the first time in six months due to injury. SF Marathon in July 2015. I can't imagine not running.

During the layoff, spent 3 days a week in the gym doing upper body and really good results. Weight work also feels very good but running is best.
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your great insights! I think the "runner" drive is just something so unique and powerful and that's clearly alive and well in all of you! I wish you all the best in your continued trail, road and tri's of the future! :-))
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm running in part to deal with a low-grade crazy problem. It's by far the safest thing I've ever overdone. If I quit running, I'll need to find something else to overdo. I hope it's swimming or cycling and not meth.