Cankles/Compression Socks

Options
AwMyLoLo
AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
Has anyone had luck with compression socks helping their swollen ankles? I've had on and off cankles since 20 weeks and it really bothers me. I have bought one pair so far and after 2 days they aren't making any difference. My friend used Miracle Socks (As Seen On TV) and said they helped a lot, but I don't want to keep spending money on socks if they're not going to help.

Replies

• kimberly_grubbs
    kimberly_grubbs Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the compression socks, but do you cross your legs at all when you sit? I do out of habit, but when I'm pregnant it gives me be worst cankles ever!!
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    I haven't been crossing my legs. I actually started using an exercise ball in place of my desk chair in my first tri to break that habit. When I do use a desk chair, I prop my feet up on a stool under my desk. Now I'm to the point where I can't really cross my legs and be comfortable if I tried. :#
  • kimberly_grubbs
    kimberly_grubbs Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh man! Well...I guess just ten more weeks of that crap then (doesn't that sound crazy???). I really hope you find some relief!
  • jsimm2127
    jsimm2127 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse and I won't go to work without my compression hose. They go all the way up to my knee and work wonders.
  • AwMyLoLo
    Options
    The one thing that I've found to work (now at 38 weeks) is dandelion root tea. If I go a couple days without it, the cankles and club feet come back. Start drinking 2-3 cups a day, and they're back to normal within 48 hours.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I got a prescription for compression thigh high stockings 20-30 mmhg. I went to the medical supply store and a woman that worked there had me take off my jeans in the store and show my husband how to put them on me wearing gloves. They were over $90 Mediusa brand. (I would not have gone this route if I had known but I'm a FTM so it's all new to me.)

When I got home I ordered a pair of knee high off amazon (Truform brand) for less than $20 they have the same compression and I can put them on myself. I have an incline pillow I got for heartburn in the first trimester that I've started putting my feet on to keep them elevated and that's helped. They are mostly normal human size when I wake but still swell during the day. Even with the socks. :/

Thanks for sharing the tea suggestion, just to be through I'm going to look up if it's considered safe but I may give it a try. I have another 5 weeks of swelling left so I'd like to minimize it.
  • gigigee
    gigigee Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LOVE my compression tights (bought 2 pairs on AMazon, 1 with feet, 1 without). They are a pain to get on, but they REALLY work and they make your legs feel better all day. I wish I had done this with my first 2 pregnancies. This is key for the last trimester.