An Ounce Of Prevention...

Options
3athlt
3athlt Posts: 131 Member
I was going to post this in my BL team's weekly chat, but I thought I would post it here so that everyone could possibly benefit. I'll do my best to keep this short (but this is a big problem for me).

For those of us who exercise outside - whether it be walking, running, cycling, whatever please consider taking the following steps in case you're in an accident or fall ill or something. You never know when something terrible can happen.

- Carry your cellphone with you. You never know when you'll need 911.
- In your cellphone, make sure you have an "ICE" contact in your contact list. For those who don't know, ICE stands for "In Case of Emergency".
- Carry some sort of identification with you. First responders need to know who you are in an emergency.
- If you're uncomfortable carrying your identification with you, you might consider purchasing a "Road ID". I updated my Road ID info recently - I felt it was necessary because I'm having major balance issues lately (since a nasty vertigo attack). Go to: http://www.roadid.com/ . They have several different "flavors" for sale and the wristbands have some reflective material on them.
- In the U.S. - you should walk/run facing traffic.
- In the U.S. - you should ride a bike with the traffic flow.
- If you're out at dawn/dusk or while it's pitch black, wear reflective clothing and consider wearing a flashing light on your person.
- Always try to exercise with another person. Not only is it more fun, there's safety in numbers.
- If you're going to ride a bike, for goodness sake - wear a freaking helmet! I've seen too many accidents over the years where people suffered major concussions because they were not wearing a helmet. Protect your brain, it's the only one you'll ever get!

Please be safe, everyone. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Replies

• musicfan4life30
    musicfan4life30 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great tips! :)
  • 12qw34
    12qw34 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You really can't be too careful out there! Great information!
  • laurabarden130
    laurabarden130 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I sometimes run when it is very early/late and dark outside. I bought a neck knife to (1) advertise that I am prepared to defend myself, and (2) have a weapon I can get to easily if needed. I also have a pepper spray container that fits around my knuckles so I don't have to hold onto it the entire run.

I also make sure I tell my boyfriend exactly where I am going, how long I think I will be running, and when I plan to be home. If I deviate from my route, I text him. That way someone always knows where I should be.