Not sure what to do next...

Options
I've been a member of this group for a while now, but this is my first post. So, first I'd like to say "Hello"!

I have a 15k race coming up one week from today. I just started running in May, so I'm still pretty new. Up until now, I've been using an app on my phone to increase my long runs. My weekly schedule is usually:

Monday: rest
Tuesday: 3 miles (tempo)
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: 6 miles (run/walk intervals)
Friday: 3 miles (easy)
Saturday: rest
Sunday: 9-10 miles (easy)

So I guess my question is would you taper the week before for a 15k? I never really heard the term before until I started googling half marathon articles. I did 7.5 miles today for my long run, but now I'm thinking I maybe took it too easy.

Also, as far as nutrition. I'm still eating at a deficit for weight loss. Should I eat at maintenance this week? Or only for a couple of days? I know I need to increase my carbs a few days before, but do I need to increase my overall calories as well?

Sorry that this ended up being so long. I guess I'm just nervous. It's a big race for me! TIA!

Replies

• sapf
    sapf Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Eat maintenance + 300 for the two days before the race. You want to fill up your glycogen stores a bit.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Switch your Wednesday and Thursday around and race on that. Maybe a couple miles on Saturday as a "shakeout" run. You'll be fine. And no need to carb load. Run your 9mi how you trained.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You are about to have an awesome experience. You've done the training, just be exited, be scared, don't worry about not sleeping the night before and have a great time.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Switch your Wednesday and Thursday around and race on that. Maybe a couple miles on Saturday as a "shakeout" run. You'll be fine. And no need to carb load. Run your 9mi how you trained.

Thanks!!! I will definitely switch these days around.