Age-adjusted strength norms, yay.

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
just thought i'd put this up here. there isn't that much difference by decade, but i always did feel it's a little unfair to be measured against the same standards at almost 50 that would have been used on my 25-yo self.

http://lonkilgore.com/freebies/freebies.html

ETA: oh and also. since i found the numbers a little discouraging personally, i'll just add here that these are 1-rep max numbers, so if you're placing yourself by your 5x5 capacity then you're not giving yourself all the credit you possibly could.

knowing that made me feel a bit better, personally :D

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I always get discouraged looking at any ranking. The only thing I worry about now is being better than I was last time. Comparison is the thief of joy and all that. :blush:
  • canadianlbs
    edited November 2014
    Options
    i see your point, but for me i'm reading the threads here and seeing other women lifting all over the place irl, so in one way 'comparison' is kind of inevitable anyway. i dunno about you, but if i said i never did compare myself with any other woman, i'd be lying like the proverbial rug.

and at the same time it's not even really the issue for me. i don't even know how to start expressing the depths of my ignorance when i started out, about what would be 'strong' for a woman. or even 'normal'. or 'possible'. like, seriously a case of absolutely-no-information-at-all. in real life, i have never known a woman who lifted weights in my life, or one that even thought about lifting . . . or if i did, i either didn't know it or had no idea of how much they could lift. never even heard of the concept. so i like some kind of context for all of this, because i seriously had none at all when i got interested. i even tried to get some kind of ballpark idea from that brainless woman trainer in the spring, and she flat-out refused to answer. 'it's a range', 'it depends', 'it's a ballpark' . . . but she wouldn't even answer something like 'well, is x pounds typical?'

so i kind of like tables like this. plus, y'know. for me, doing this for the first time ever at 49, it's extremely nice to see something that does take people's age into consideration. maybe there are women here who are lifting the same weights and recovering in the same time frame in their 40s as they were or would have when they were 25, but i'm pretty sure that i ain't one of them.

incidentally, and not even because i brought it up: the professional trainer who runs this 'group' i go to once a month mentioned today that in her own experience with clients, a woman who can squat with her own bodyweight for 10 reps is 'pretty freaking impressive'. so there is that.
  • meglo91
    meglo91 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It's nice to have something to measure yourself against, I agree. Per this chart it appears that I am somewhere between a novice and an intermediate lifter, depending on the lift we're talking about. Yay?
    I am as yet still under 40, so no adjusted standards for me ... yet. Though time doth march on and all that.
    I agree that a woman who can squat her own bodyweight for 10 reps is a badass, full stop.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Also under 40 and apparently I'm a HUGE noob still. Bleh. :)
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    Also under 40 and apparently I'm a HUGE noob still. Bleh. :)

1-rep max numbers here, remember. if it makes you feel any better, i have only just now managed to claw my 5x5 weight into 'untrained' turf for the bench press, and i'm not doing so hot with squatting either ;-)
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @ Canadian to the rescue (as usual!) That TOTALLY makes me feel better! :) That frigging "untrained" column is the WORST.
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    As a 61 year old it makes me feel much better as I keep comparing myself with what I could do 30 years ago and feel rubbish. These figures put me in the advanced or elite so yay for old women!!
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Wow, I love this chart! Well, at least it makes me feel a little bit better. I'm 51, and like you, I frequently compare my lifting weights to other, mostly younger, women. Actually I wasn't sure how much age played a role, but I guess it does...at least to some extent. Hell, I know it sure does in other areas of fitness. I see that in the fitness classes I take with those younger girls. (Hey, how come I'm the only one sweating and out of breath? lol)

I also didn't know what's normal for ladies since I've not known personally ladies who lift, and as I'm quite new (3 months in), I've been trying to learn as much as I can. I'm going to keep this handy little chart at my fingertips to measure my progress. Thanks!

@53welshlady -- that's impressive and, yes, yay for us older women!!!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    @justmytype and @53welshlady . . . i have this feeling it's something that only falls into context once you are on the huffing-and-puffing side of the fence ;) i know i just had a long conversation with a whippersnapper who isn't 30 yet, defending my right to refer to my age against him going 'oh please, you're nowhere near old' any time that i do. no, but age is an actual physical thing too, and i'm getting there. it's hard to explain that to someone who doesn't have in-the-skin experience of it all, right?

yay @welshlady in particular. i'm planning to be a ridiculously strong little old lady one of these days. squatting my body weight in a calf-length skirt and petticoat, with a big felt hat rammed through with hatpins, like my grandmother wore :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    i'm planning to be a ridiculously strong little old lady one of these days. squatting my body weight in a calf-length skirt and petticoat, with a big felt hat rammed through with hatpins, like my grandmother wore :smiley::smiley::smiley:

And you will take a pic and finally add one to your profile.

This is not a request.

:)

• canadianlbs
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    And you will take a pic and finally add one to your profile.

This is not a request.

:)

yes ma'am *thinks: by the time i'm 80 she'll have forgotten all about this. my cunning plan should work fine*

• ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This is great. Thanks for posting the chart. I've only been lifting a few months, but according to the chart, at 55, I'm almost intermediate!