Hi new to group. Surgery was July 9th....seem stuck

Options
Okay, I posted in the main discussion page and everyone was telling me to find the group. One kind person sent the link to my inbox :) I'm 4 months post op, doing well, however, I am not stuck. Scale isn't budging. I have a trainer, am at the gym at least 4 days a week. Thinking it has to be the food. I started logging again here today. Any other tips?

Replies

• jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi. Hate to hear that you're stuck after 4 months. Are you still following the diet, no sodas and all that jazz? I'm sure people here can help you out.
  • commissionette
    commissionette Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Yep! I actually gave up soda for Lent so it's been since February that I've had even a sip!! Doing great on that end and I was a total Diet Coke addict. I've added all back into diet except complex carbs per my doctor. They still think I'm doing great. I lost 35lbs the first three months, this month, I was only down 4lbs. They said all around it was still great, water retention blah blah. I wasn't too happy with that part though. I had such a good track record and then 4lbs?? Is that normal? I came on here to log food to see if I'm eating more than I think or if I'm not eating enough??

• commissionette
    Options
    I'm at 203 and they said that the 200lb mark seems to be a tough one but once you're over that hump it seems to pick back up? I don't know if they're just trying to make me feel good or if there is any truth to that.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am stuck at 200.8. It is driving me nuts because it has been about three weeks. So, hopefully the 200 lb mark point is right and we will get past that soon and keep moving on! I did read from some of the other group members that they stalled until they upped their calories to 800 to 1000.
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yes, and don't forget that the more you work out, the more you need to drink or you will retain water. Plus it's colder outside....depending on where you are. The cold can dehydrate you faster than anything because you don't realize your thirsty. Drink, drink, drink.
  • commissionette
    Options
    jamezln wrote: »
    Yes, and don't forget that the more you work out, the more you need to drink or you will retain water. Plus it's colder outside....depending on where you are. The cold can dehydrate you faster than anything because you don't realize your thirsty. Drink, drink, drink.

Seriously? Working out will make me retain fluid? I'm retaining now and been working out...it's driving me crazy!!

I'm on Long Island...not been too awfully cold yet, but it's coming this week I hear :)

• commissionette
    Options
    I am stuck at 200.8. It is driving me nuts because it has been about three weeks. So, hopefully the 200 lb mark point is right and we will get past that soon and keep moving on! I did read from some of the other group members that they stalled until they upped their calories to 800 to 1000.

Hoping that's what it is for both of us!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I was a bit stuck, and I upped my calories and it did help. Also, if you are working out, be sure you are taking enough rest days. I wasn't, and my trainer really had to get on me about it. Not enough rest can contribute to the water retention. Definitely measure and log everything you eat, and make sure you are still focusing on protein.
  • commissionette
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I was a bit stuck, and I upped my calories and it did help. Also, if you are working out, be sure you are taking enough rest days. I wasn't, and my trainer really had to get on me about it. Not enough rest can contribute to the water retention. Definitely measure and log everything you eat, and make sure you are still focusing on protein.

thanks!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Good to see you found us Commissionette!
    Take the time to read up on the threads, theres a bit of info for everyone from someone :smile:
  • commissionette
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    Good to see you found us Commissionette!
    Take the time to read up on the threads, theres a bit of info for everyone from someone :smile:

[thanks :)

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I had to start using measuring cups and a scale. I was getting in extra calories and delaying my loss.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I lose best at 850-950 calories a day
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Some folks need to up calories, some need to lower them, some can add carbs in, some can't. What seems to work best for me is to track everything I eat/drink-- then I look for patterns---- if my avg calories get too high and my loss slows, then I know why. If I ate 60g of carbs on average for a few weeks, then 80g the next two and I gain/don't lose, then I know why... etc. I also make it a point to have higher and lower calorie days on purpose to keep my body guessing. I will go as low as 850 and as high as 1600---with lots of days in between. So far that seems to be working. :)
  • commissionette
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    Some folks need to up calories, some need to lower them, some can add carbs in, some can't. What seems to work best for me is to track everything I eat/drink-- then I look for patterns---- if my avg calories get too high and my loss slows, then I know why. If I ate 60g of carbs on average for a few weeks, then 80g the next two and I gain/don't lose, then I know why... etc. I also make it a point to have higher and lower calorie days on purpose to keep my body guessing. I will go as low as 850 and as high as 1600---with lots of days in between. So far that seems to be working. :)
    Just from tracking yesterday and today, I can see that I'm not getting enough protein or calories and I thought I was over on both. Yesterday I was around 1000 calories and for the first time in days, this morning the scale moved down! I wasn't getting enough. I'll see if it stays this way but tracking appears to be a must for now!

• thinnerrugger
    thinnerrugger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We all have such extensive experiences with weight loss by the time we get to this point. It's amazing what I learn.

When I hit a plateau recently, I started eating completely new foods. I tend to eat a lot of the same foods. I also increased exercise and water, but sounds like you have those covered.

I am four months post-op and have lost 60 pounds. I am sticking to 30 carbs a day and at least 70 grams of protein, usually taking in closer to 100-130 grams a day. (I know about the kidney watch).

All the above ideas and information are terrific. I hope I was able to add to the list of things to try.

Good luck.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Just from tracking yesterday and today, I can see that I'm not getting enough protein or calories and I thought I was over on both. Yesterday I was around 1000 calories and for the first time in days, this morning the scale moved down! I wasn't getting enough. I'll see if it stays this way but tracking appears to be a must for now!

Yeah, for me tracking is a MUST-- I cannot trust my brain to keep me on track! LOL It is also so helpful in noticing trends. Glad the scale is moving for you! One of the things my dr. told me is that if my cals get too low and stay that way, maintenance is going to be a real b*tch--- so more often than not, I am shooting for 1000-1200 day to day, but I do workout regularly, too so YMMV.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was in a stall--lost great the 1st few weeks and then stalled--then gained 1.4 lbs and now finally down 5.4 lbs. (total loss in 8 weeks is 35 lbs~~but I have really had to work for this latest weight loss.) I have been losing inches--clothes are very loose. I upped my calories and protein this week--thought I would try fooling my body by not doing the same calories etc. everyday. I think it has helped me...
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    When I hit my four month mark in September, everything stopped. I lost 2 lbs the entire month. It didn't matter if I added more working out, stopped working out, added more calories, added water, added protein. Nothing worked. It was incredibly frustrating. Then all of a sudden, it started back up again and I've lost 16 lbs since then. It may just be your body adjusting. Focus on protein and water intake like everyone said and your body will do what it needs to eventually.
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    it could also be muscle gain and fat loss, muscle is heavier, but you guys probably knew that. I am 6 mos out and have lost 60 lbs so far, I have just restarted peritoneal dialysis which adds 400 empty calories a day. Everything stalled for a month when I restarted, but it has started to come off again. YAY