Anyone use an unheated home garage gym

Options
Sumiblue
Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
Currently I work out at Planet Fitness. Lame gym, I know, but I cannot afford Crossfit or a better gym. PF is cheap but has only one squat rack & I have to wait often to use it. A few of the guys like to hang out & chat around it. I Go over and ask if they are done but it's annoying. My biggest issue is time. I don't have any. I either have to get up at the crack of before-dawn or wait until Wed/thurs/fri to do my workouts when my daughter is in preschool. It would be awesome to workout at home. But, I have no basement & garage is unheated. I live in CT so cold Winters. There is room in the garage & I could get equipment off Craigslist. I could warm up with jump ropes maybe. I know I get super hot when shoveling snow...anyone have a cold gym?

Replies

• liftnrunlikeagirl
    Options
    I workout in an unheated shed! Last winter was really difficult (southwestern Ontario) but I persisted! I have a heater in the shed which helps a lot but I still wear lots of layers for my workout. And gloves are a must as the barbell is really cold to touch and does not warm up as you go!

It's not ideal but it is doable. I don't really worry about a cardio warm-up; just my warm up sets are all I find necessary.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Could you try using a space heater? I workout in my basement, but it's heated/air conditioned.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't bother with a space heater unless I insulated the garage. It would just be a waste of money and I probably wouldn't notice much difference in temps. Wow, an unheated shed in Southwestern Ontario. That's got to be cold! I think I maight be able to do this if I brought the bar indoors. I have weight lifting gloves already and they are leather so would protect my hands pretty well.
  • liftnrunlikeagirl
    Options
    I am thinking about storing the bar in the house this year!