Anyone else seeing weight loss slowing down?

Options
kayjosh2422
kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
Since I started the challenge I have had steady weight loss, 10 pounds the first month, 8 pounds the next month and now I have been at the same weight for over a week. I am still staying within my calories and exercising daily. I did read somewhere to eat over your calories for about three days and change up your exercise. So I did add going to the gym twice a week along with my brisk walking. It can be disheartening to work hard and not see the scale move. I am kicking myself for never taking measurements because I know my body is changing but I am so hung up on the dang scale. Tell me what you to jump start your weight loss once it slows.

Replies

• conetah24
    conetah24 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I stayed the same over my last weigh in. But I feel healthier and in better shape. I have taken longer in between weigh ins because I don't want to be discouraged by the scale when I know I'm still making progress.
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    maybe you re getting a lot closer to your goal weight?

During my initial 30lbs loss last year I would lose about 2lbs a week but now I only weigh 146lbs (compared to 170lbs+) and for me 1lbs/week is actually amazing.

Try the losertown weightloss calculator to see how long is should be roughly taking you based on the calories and activity. It is not the most scientifically accurate thing in the world but it gets as close as possible.
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    maybe you re getting a lot closer to your goal weight?

During my initial 30lbs loss last year I would lose about 2lbs a week but now I only weigh 146lbs (compared to 170lbs+) and for me 1lbs/week is actually amazing.

Try the losertown weightloss calculator to see how long is should be roughly taking you based on the calories and activity. It is not the most scientifically accurate thing in the world but it gets as close as possible.

No, I still have a lonnnnggggg way to go. lol But I think my body is just use to the exercise I have been doing. Now I am switching it up. Hope that helps

• beatricelombule
    beatricelombule Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The more you weigh the more you lose. The less you weigh the less you lose. It's also like that for me, in the beginning I could lose a little more than 3 lbs because I weighed a lot but now I lose 2 lbs and sometimes 1.5 lbs.
    *Anyway maybe you hit a plateau.
    * Never assume that you are eating within your calories (if you do not measure or register everything), always register everything, I tried to assume last time and ended up gaining weight.
    * Try new exercise like zumba, tae bo, kickboxing, you can find these on youtube and after like 2 weeks you can go back to your usual walking
    * Maybe you are gaining muscle?
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I hit my personal 90 day mark a few days ago, and I've slowed down quite a bit. I have a lot to lose (started at 282, currently sitting around 250ish but probably less since it's not my weigh in day yet) and hit a few mini-plateaus in that 90 day mark. Haven't lost 2+ lbs in a week for about 3 weeks (currently losing about 1.4-1.8 a week, which at least is going in the right direction!)

My goal was 10lbs in October, but I'm skeptical I'm going to hit it, but I did lose over 10lbs in other months so I guess I'll just call it even and be good. XD
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    I'm no where close to goal, I'm about halfway. But I did increase my calories for 3 days and than drop back down, change up my exercise program and now the weight is coming off again. Guess I just needed a reboot!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Have you reset your calories to reflect your weight loss? MFP does not do this automatically. You need to go into my home > goals > change goals > continue > make sure weight is current > update profile
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I actually went weighed-in and was .6 pound heavier. Grrrrr... There I was about to hit my Xmas goal by the end of October and was 2 pounds out at the last weigh-in. By the way, I don't really have a requirement to hit this goal early, but I was trying to do this for the Health and Fitness Intern's last day.

All right. Time to buckle down and do some serious weight loss. Luckily, by this time, I know a couple of foods that fill me up and don't bring a ton of calories to the table. Log food a bit conservatively. Keep doing the regular aerobic exercise. Add some more steps to each day and really up the steps in the entire week.

I checked my weight this morning and saw 209.8. Good, but not good enough. Keep the food choices in the good zone. Keep the steps up. I will see if I can get an extra bike ride in. I set up another appointment late on the last day for the Health and Fitness Intern.

Sometimes you need to re-dedicate yourself. You need to ruthlessly apply the self-discipline that keeps you in a calorie deficit and exercising for fitness.
  • jabarih
    jabarih Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ugh guys! I am totally dealing with the same problem!! I have been fluctuating between 208 and 206 for the past 2 weeks. All I need is to lose 8 more pounds!! I'm thinking about completely fasting for a couple of days and still working out super hard. I have to do something to get past this darn platuea!!
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    So happy my reboot worked!!!
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    yeap very slowwww right now its almost painful haha
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Mine has been really slow for the last month or so, and completely stalled for about three weeks. (But I've continued to lose inches.) The scale is finally moving again, and I have under three pounds to go.
  • kayjosh2422
    Options
    Just keep working at it, you can do it!!
  • yogajess11
    yogajess11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    yes!! i feel like ive been stuck within the same poundage for weeks now. already tracking calories like crazy but just bought myself a little scale that I can keep in my purse to make sure Im tracking appropriately on the go. Not crazy, right??
  • Trishism
    Trishism Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Last week was such a good week for me and now it just feels like I've slowed wayyyy down. Still eating and exercising the same, though, so I'm just going to be patient. Also I plan on doing the first couple 30 day shred sessions tomorrow and Sunday. Today I'll walk with babe in a carrier and swim some laps - so like I'm feeling good, but I intuitively KNOW that my weight isn't dropping? Weird. But weigh in day is tomorrow anyway so -fingers crossed-
  • conetah24
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so instead of viewing it as a plateau make sure you are losing inches. If you are then there is nothing to worry about. If your staying the same and are not losing inches, then yes, you need to adjust something.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat, any more than lead weighs more than feathers. A pound is a pound is a pound. Where the misunderstanding often comes in is that muscle is much more dense than fat, so that, by volume, it seems to weigh more. That is, a pound of muscle occupies less space than a pound of fat. In addition, because a pound of muscle burns more fat than a pound of fat, even at rest, by increasing your lean muscle tissue mass, you're helping your body burn more calories.

But back to your question. If you only have a small amount of weight to lose, then you may feel like the weight training is not helping you move down on the scale. In fact, the number may even go up, but you will look thinner. This is due to an increase in lean body mass (muscle, bone, blood volume) and a decrease in body fat. In other words, even if the scale doesn't change much, you will probably see a difference in how your clothes fit.

On the other hand, if you have a lot of weight to lose, you will also experience an increase in lean body mass and loss of body fat. But the results on the scale will probably be more dramatic. (This is from Ask the Personal Trainer).

I too have had issues with my weight stalling. I don't know what it is, but if I go a bit over 1200-1300 it seems to stall. Just keep going I guess!!
  • conetah24
    Options
    Soooo sorry! Yes a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat, what I was alluding is the fact that if you are losing inches then it is muscle not fat and you shouldn't be too worried about it. Sorry I will try to be more scientific in my responses.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I lost 3 lbs the month of Oct. primarily it was my fault with drinking and eating on the weekends. When you get close to your goal weight the harder it is to lose. You might want to increase the intesity of your workouts, re-adjust your calorie intake. Dont get on the scale often it only discourages. Good luck.
  • deathbyokapi
    deathbyokapi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think I need to switch up my exercise routine a little, and confuse my body all over again. It's gotten too used to my regular exercise regimen!