Deficit Question

Options
Bradcore
Bradcore Posts: 12 Member
I recently purchased a Fitbit Flex and have it linked with MyFitnessPal. I have both set for lose 1lb a week. My question is should I have them both set for that or just MyFitnessPal? I want to make sure that I don't get a double read or mess one up. I searched around for a while and could not seem to find an answer to this question.

Also, if I have MyFitnessPal set for sedentary, it puts me at 1850 calories a day. Does anyone have an approximation of how many steps I need to take or calories I need to burn before Fitbit will make the automatic adjustments in MyFitnessPal. I only saw it on the day I got it and I activated Fitbit in the afternoon.

Thank you much

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Your first day of activation will be a mess. Don't even try to make sense of what the info tells you. At midnight the counter will reset and you'll be good to go on your second day.

I have my Fitbit synched to MFP. I look at Fitbit for steps, miles walked, sleep, etc., but I pay no attention to the calorie info. I use MFP for that instead. MFP takes the info from Fitbit and adjusts your caloric allotment accordingly. My MFP sedentary number is about the same, right around 1850 calories at maintenance. With negative calories enabled, I find it takes about 5000 steps to hit break even on days when I do other exercise. Break even seems to come up quicker on days when walking is my only exercise. Also, although I've never figured out exactly how it works, the more non-Fitbit exercise I do on any given day, the fewer calories Fitbit wants to credit me for miles walked. It works out in the end since Fitbit gives me too many calories per mile (around 100) on days when I have no other exercise.
  • Bradcore
    Options
    I did just discover it wasn't syncing the calories removed from Fitbit properly. As soon as I fixed that, It gave me an additional 1000 calories for the day.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Agree with above, don't try to take 2 different roads to the same destination, it will just confuse you.
    Use Fitbit for exercise and step goals, ect.
    Use MFP for food and the deficit side.

You can set Fitbit to whatever weight loss or none, the only thing it reports to MFP that deal with what you eat, is what you have burned so far that day.

Now - that can be affected by having the Fitbit Setting of Calorie Estimation enabled. Because then with no recent sync with your device, Fitbit will estimate what you burned up to that point, based on past days. If every day is about the same up until you sync, fine and dandy. If not, could be big variance.
    And then MFP takes that figure and does it's own whole day estimate to base your eating goal on.

As to how many calories you need to burn to see positive adjustments - depends on how much of a weight loss goal you took. So you took 500 cal daily.

That means with 1850 eating goal without exercise, you'd have to burn 2350 on Fitbit to break even. Anything burned over that gives you more to eat.

In fact, that's a great way to set Fitbit fitness or burn goals, how much do you enjoy eating and can adhere to it, perhaps 2000, then add on the deficit, so 2500, and that's what you'd need to burn to eat at the level you'd enjoy and adhere to.

And steps can be very variable depending on weight, stride length, ect. So you'll find out what it translates to for steps.

And of course, if you do any non-step exercise, gotta manually log it, either MFP if syncing works nicely for you, or Fitbit directly if able to. Swimming would be obvious, but bike, lifting, elliptical, rowing, ect, all will be badly underestimated by Fitbit looking at steps.
  • Bradcore
    Options
    Thanks a bunch. This is very helpful.
  • smilzjoay
    Options
    Thanks for sharing about the calorie estimation feature. I actually had no idea what it meant, and I would rather it not estimate, so I can get a true real time read. I sync often, so it shouldn't be much of an issue, but you never know. I've been doing a lot of reading on this, and either I just can't understand, or there are too many mixed opinions. Are you supposed to log exercise that is not "step related" in fitbit or myfitnesspal? I tried it both ways, and sometimes I feel like I get a double read. I do yoga a few times a week. I would love to log a few extra calories, and map that I am exercising, so when I look at my chart, something is there. I get sad when it's all empty, even though I "know" I am exercising. Also sometimes I use the bike at the gym, or lift weights. What's your opinion on this? Thanks for the help!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you don't see sync issues logging it on MFP - let 'er rip.

Either way works exactly the same, no doubling of calorie burn if you got the time right.

Like lets say MFP maintenance is 2000 without exercise on normal day, Fitbit agrees, and you do a 500 cal workout. And you have a 500 cal deficit.

Logging on MFP.
    Maintenance 2000 - 500 deficit = 1500 eating goal no exercise
    Log workout of 500 and syncs to Fitbit.
    MFP knows non-exercise maintenance 2000 + 500 exercise = 2500 total maintenance - 500 deficit = 2000 eating goal.
    Fitbit replaces whatever calorie burn it saw with the 500 from MFP, and reports back to MFP 2500 burned in total.
    Fitbit 2500 - 2500 MFP = no adjustment
    2000 cal eating goal stays.

Logging on Fitbit.
    Maintenance 2000 - 500 = 1500 eating goal.
    Fitbit replaces it calorie burn estimate with your manual entry of 500, and reports to MFP 2500 burned in total.
    Fitbit 2500 - 2000 MFP maintenance = 500 cal adjustment.
    Eating goal 1500 + 500 = 2000 new eating goal based on fact you burned more.

Now actually, that cal adjustment is the difference between the whole day, not just exercise, so you could have been more active and you logged exercise or Fitbit's estimate is good, and you got bigger cal adjustment than just exercise.
    Or, you had a hard workout, laid on couch 2 extra hours compared to normal, and you got a smaller cal adjustment than the exercise burn.