Loose skin...

Options
carostad
carostad Posts: 161
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
Just saw this video and thought it would be interesting to lots of us here. He's a young guy, too! But man, he is pretty muscular under all that skin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpKDteQ3FIQ

I love that he's embracing his body, wrinkles and all. :)

Replies

• PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    God i'm 33 pounds away from being his weight. Obviously her has a lot more weight from muscle and I certainly do not but I can see it. You know it is going to happen and I certainly knew it was going to happen but now I can see it. He was obviously bigger then me when I started but when I look at myself in the mirror I can see it all sagging and my body underneath, pick it up with my hands and pull it all away. My arms, stomach and thighs are already a riddled network of now loose and wrinkled stretch marks.

It's one thing to watch someone else embrace this reality, its another to have to come and do it for yourself.

More to work on.

He uses MFP and his instegram has his username if people want to add him as a friend.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I can't watch that video from here, but they say the younger you are, with time, toning, and lots of water, there is hope for some resilience in skin. I'm not expecting it. I have major stretch marks and was in the vicinity of this big for about 15 years. So nope, not expecting miracles. But what bugs me is my skin is just loose enough for my fat to shift around from time to time. It is like it and gravity want to hook up. Grr...
  • wennim
    wennim Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    That really scares me but not as much as being at an unhealthy weight and the medical issues that come with it. I have been heavy for a long time. I mean a lot of the skin can be covered by clothes but to work that hard and still not be happy with your body is kind of scary. I love his attitude and I am hoping I can learn to accept it. I am already swearing off of tank tops because the skin on my upper arms is drooping. Still a lot of fat along with the skin but makes me uncomfortable. My worst part is the skin on my chin/neck where I had a double/triple chin for so long and now it kind of just hangs there and looks like an old lady's neck with wrinkles. Just another one of the things I need to learn to live with.
  • PatrickB_87
    PatrickB_87 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately they say a lot with weightloss and sadly most of it seems to be absurd. If you see the video you'll know why that skin will never shift no matter the amount of water or toning. We just took our skin to far and it wont come back, not unless it gets cut off.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    This has been a major issue for me and one I have put a lot of emotional work in to. You can't lose as much weight as I have and not have sagging skin. I would love to have the extra from my abdomen and thighs removed but the insurance calls it cosmetic no matter what my doctors say. My orthopedic surgeon has even told them if they don't remove the skin from my thighs, he will most likely have to replace my brand new knees in about 7 years since the skin is causing me to walk differently and putting a lot of pressure on them. Still, no. I have had to come to the understanding emotionally that plastic surgery just is not an option (I don't see me winning the PowerBall anytime soon, lol). Because of that I have had to work very hard on accepting my body as is and loving myself as I am. It took a lot of hard work but I believe I'm there. Now that's not to say that I wouldn't get the plastic surgery if it was offered to me because I'd jump on the chance. But, I can now look in the mirror nude and not be so completely disgusted. There was a time I wouldn't even look at myself in the mirror. I'm beginning to be able to see the smaller Deanna inside the excess skin and that feels fantastic. It used to bother me to wear tank tops and my bathing suit because of the skin, but I have begun to look at it differently. That excess skin is actually my proud badge of successful weight loss. I'd rather have flabby skin than fat-filled skin that is killing me. I still have a hard time wearing shorts out in public because my thigh hanging out the bottom of the shorts at my knees looks so funny. But I am getting better with that as well. It's not been an easy road accepting my body as it is now but after abusing it for over 30 years there's now way everything is going to pop back in place and I accept that now.

Dee
  • loriarty
    loriarty Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This was honestly the BIGGEST fear that I had when I started to lose weight. Like I see on The Extreme Weight loss show, and different post. And I was seriously TERRIFIED to have that. And then as I started losing weight something happened. Like I noticed that my stomach kind of hangs down a bit more the more I lose, and I can tell that I WILL have excess skin. But, seeing it on my body shows me that I am losing weight and my body has gotten smaller. It's really hard to explain, but it feels like a sign of progress to me now. And I know I've only lost 50lbs, but like I can already tell how it's acting and I know the more I lose the worse it will be. But the weight is coming off.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dee, that is such an empowered statement. You have really moved me to look at myself with more acceptance. You, too, Loriarty. I'm not sure I've lost enough weight to have enough progress to show permanent effects yet, but if I do some mental legwork before I get all the way there, hopefully, I'll be a few steps ahead.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I see mine as well deserved battle scars.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    At 120 lbs lost I have lose skin. Do I like it? No, but it beats being over 300 lbs. I am still self conscious about wearing short sleeves, and shorts skirts will never be my cup of tea. Then again, I'm not sure I'd be wearing short skirts even if my skin was perfect.

The biggest help has been my BF. He insists that he loves my body the way it is, lose skin and all. He's helping me to love it too.