November 2014 -- Say NO To Late Night Snacking

Options
Welcome November! This is the month of cooler weather in some areas and more temptations with comfort food and LNS but we can fight the urge and be successful!

"Tired of self-sabotaging by munching after dinner? Upset that you double your in-calories at night? Then it's not just me . To get some help (or inspire us by your good example), please join us in this challenge.

We're usually fixing a cut-off time, past which only non-caloric things are allowed (unsweetened tea or water). Yet, we're not that strict: you may allow yourself a handful of almonds, if you're able to stop at that. Figure out what fits you and start counting... .

We go by the formula:
Me: "number indicating how many evenings you stuck to it"
LNS: "number of times late night snacks won"

Example: Me: 2 - LNS: 0 indicates I won the first two nights.

Some people also add a * to the latest number. In the example, that would be
Me: 2 - LNS: 1*
if LNS won the 3rd night.

It's as simple as that. Or as complicated, as you will discover. Nevertheless, the persistence and good results of some of our "old" members (and some people keep coming back) show that the battle is worthwhile .

Welcome!

Replies

• mrJRamos
    Options
    Happy November!

November 1:

ME: 1*
    LNS: 0

November means we start baking fruitcakes to send to our friends in other states. Our first batch of the year turned out a little overdone so guess who gets to eat it?- 3 loaves!!!

I'll have to figure out how many calories are in a slice of the fruitcake we make - bound to be a lot because of the nuts and dried fruits - I guess if I know it's just going to be one thin-ish slice each night and I budget for it, it will be all right.

The latter part of the year is hard because of all social opportunities (party anyone?) and the appetizers that are invariably offered. It's hard for me to turn down something tasty in exchange for some celery and carrot sticks. I know what's better for me - the veggie tray - but...

Let's work hard at staying on task this month - the only sanctioned overeating day is probably Thanksgiving but since we're hosting this year, maybe I can come up with some alternative side dishes other than the traditional calorie-laden green bean casserole, stuffing/dressing, yams with marshmallows, etc. Any recipe ideas???

Best of strength to all of us this month!

Peace,
    Jeff
  • lamlamsmakeover
    lamlamsmakeover Posts: 6,574 Member
    Options
    mrJRamos wrote: »
    Happy November!

November 1:

ME: 1*

Any recipe ideas???

Best of strength to all of us this month!

Peace,
    Jeff

Jeff, there are a lot of great web sites out there where you can get calorie information for things you make like "All Recipes," "My Recipes," etc. There is a recipes message board where they post different things, too. I don't celebrate the holidays, but I always have little gatherings I have to contend with you. Especially with colder weather coming where I am from (WI), it's getting into the comfort food season. We will be strong!!!

• lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Nov 2

Me: 2*

Had pizza tonight but didn't overdo it. I could have overdone it yesterday, too, (in the morning, not LNS haha) but resisted the pastries at a social gathering and stuck to some fruit and banana bread.
  • mrJRamos
    Options
    lamlam2013 wrote: »
    Nov 2

Had pizza tonight but didn't overdo it. I could have overdone it yesterday, too, (in the morning, not LNS haha) but resisted the pastries at a social gathering and stuck to some fruit and banana bread.

Nice start to the month - I would have definitely over-did it in the morning. There is never any left over pizza at our house when morning rolls around.

Good job at avoiding some of your triggers - small steps lead to winning, too!

October 3rd:

ME: 2*
    LNS: 1

I got attacked by a small bowl of ice cream with Crème De Cacao Liquer on it. Added some milk and had a Crème De Cacao milkshake. Yummy for my tummy!

Too much junk food around the house right now....

Peace,
    Jeff :)
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    lamlam2013 wrote: »
    Nov 2

Nice start to the month - I would have definitely over-did it in the morning. There is never any left over pizza at our house when morning rolls around.

Good job at avoiding some of your triggers - small steps lead to winning, too!

October 3rd:

ME: 2*

I got attacked by a small bowl of ice cream with Crème De Cacao Liquer on it. Added some milk and had a Crème De Cacao milkshake. Yummy for my tummy!

Too much junk food around the house right now....

Peace,
    Jeff :)

Yes ice cream is definitely a trigger for me! When I was young, we had it every night.

• lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Nov 3

Me: 3*
  • mrJRamos
    Options
    NOV. 4:

ME: 2
    LNS: 2*

The bad news is that I failed miserably at controlling my cravings - I went crazy today and had all sorts of great things in too large of portions. No portion seemed to satisfy me so while I tried to stay in control, the LNS won today.

The good news is that my partner and I bought a recumbent bike. He wants to start exercising now that he sees how successful I have been by adding exercise back into my life. I now have an alternative to my elliptical trainer and Wii fitness games. I can even pedal away while watching the television (news or ???).

Great job LAMLAM!!! Keep it up!

Peace,
    Jeff
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    NOV. 4:

ME: 2
    LNS: 2*

The bad news is that I failed miserably at controlling my cravings - I went crazy today and had all sorts of great things in too large of portions. No portion seemed to satisfy me so while I tried to stay in control, the LNS won today.

The good news is that my partner and I bought a recumbent bike. He wants to start exercising now that he sees how successful I have been by adding exercise back into my life. I now have an alternative to my elliptical trainer and Wii fitness games. I can even pedal away while watching the television (news or ???).

Great job LAMLAM!!! Keep it up!

Peace,
    Jeff

Thanks, Jeff. Wow I'm jealous...a recumbent bike!! I'd be on that thing all day. Woohoo!!! Just remember today is a new day. Take one day at a time. I'm cheering for you!
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Nov 4

Me: 4*

I am determined. Two days "abstinent" re OA.
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Hi-
    So far so good with respect to this challenge. However, I still need to control myself a little more with the leftover Halloween candy.
    Me:4
    LNS:0
    Good luck everyone!!
    Zaza
  • mrJRamos
    Options
    NOV 5

Me: 3*
    LNS: 2

I did great tonight - 9:00 pm I left the living room / dining room (right next to the kitchen) and went to my bedroom and started the nightly ritual - brushing, flossing, etc. I'm tempted to go back to the kitchen to fill my water glass but that usually means sneaking a few cookies or another piece of chocolate. I'm in the bedroom staying put and logging my food intake for the day.

Great starts for both of you ZaZa and LamLam! I just need to keep my focus on my goals and not get sidetracked by momentary lapses of sweet cravings.

Have a great remainder of the week!

Peace,
    Jeff :o
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Nov 6

Me: 5*

Slipped up a couple nights ago but was back on track yesterday.

Jeff -- great plan you had last night!
    Zaza -- great start!
  • mrJRamos
    Options
    Nov. 7
    ME: : 4
    LNS 3*

I can't seem to stay consistent yet this month. Too much stress at work and I'm undergoing a medication change. Plus I can't stop eating! I baked some cookies for a retirement party for a friend for tomorrow night's party and I keep sampling the cookies - chocolate chip with walnuts - and they are so delicious. And we're still making batches of fruitcakes to send out. 5 more batches and then to infuse them with Brandy. I never used to like fruitcake but I like this recipe we found and altered. Then, next Tuesday evening Art wants to use a gift card he received for his birthday and we're going to RED LOBSTER. I'll try and stick with something fairly healthy but eating out seems to be a veritable trap that ensnares you. It's one day of the week so I can afford to be a little looser with things but this time of year, there always seems to be many opportunities for challenges to a sensible eating plan.

Sorry, I just got off on a tangent and couldn't find my way back! More water and more consistency this month. And exercise every day. I missed working out this afternoon because of the after work chores - shopping, picking up prescriptions, etc. I feel there are too many demands on my time right now and the stress leads me to eat (not sensibly...)

Tomorrow is another opportunity for a fresh start. My goal is to make it the whole weekend without late night snacking. By Sunday night, I'll update to 6 for me and 3 for binging.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

Jeff :p
  • zaza54
    Options
    I was doing so well.
    Me: 7
    LNS:1
    Zaza
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Nov 9

Me: 6
    Binge: 3*

Bad LNS weekend but tomorrow is a new day!
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    zaza54 wrote: »
    I was doing so well.
    Me: 7
    LNS:1
    Zaza

Having only 1 night with LNS is great, Zaza! You're doing great!
  • lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Nov. 7
    ME: : 4
    LNS 3*

I can't seem to stay consistent yet this month. Too much stress at work and I'm undergoing a medication change. Plus I can't stop eating! I baked some cookies for a retirement party for a friend for tomorrow night's party and I keep sampling the cookies - chocolate chip with walnuts - and they are so delicious. And we're still making batches of fruitcakes to send out. 5 more batches and then to infuse them with Brandy. I never used to like fruitcake but I like this recipe we found and altered. Then, next Tuesday evening Art wants to use a gift card he received for his birthday and we're going to RED LOBSTER. I'll try and stick with something fairly healthy but eating out seems to be a veritable trap that ensnares you. It's one day of the week so I can afford to be a little looser with things but this time of year, there always seems to be many opportunities for challenges to a sensible eating plan.

Sorry, I just got off on a tangent and couldn't find my way back! More water and more consistency this month. And exercise every day. I missed working out this afternoon because of the after work chores - shopping, picking up prescriptions, etc. I feel there are too many demands on my time right now and the stress leads me to eat (not sensibly...)

Tomorrow is another opportunity for a fresh start. My goal is to make it the whole weekend without late night snacking. By Sunday night, I'll update to 6 for me and 3 for binging.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

Jeff :p

Yes, Jeff, tomorrow is a new day! I tend to "taste test" when I'm baking, too. It's hard, but we're human. I've been eating out some this weekend, too. Tomorrow will be better!!

• lamlamsmakeover
    Options
    Nov 12

Me: 7*
    Binge: 5

Not doing too well with my monthly numbers. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a continued upswing.
  • zaza54
    Options
    Hi-
    I've slipped a bit, too, but every day is a new day. So, we just keep trying. Please don't give up. We all need this challenge and we know it works.
    Me: 9
    LNS: 4
    Have a good week-end!
    Zaza
  • mrJRamos
    Options
    Hi LamLam and ZaZa,

My computer crashed and I have limited access to the internet right now. It's too cumbersome to enter food and exercise via the MFP app. I have still been keeping track regarding this challenge.

NOV 15:
    ME: 10*
    LNS: 5

Hang in there -- we know we all can do it despite the holiday season eating!

Peace,
    Jeff :D