Purposely being more active in your daily life.

Options
pawoodhull
pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
I just posted this on my wall but thought I would add it here too. Just like we need to be mindful of our eating, we also need to be mindful of our activities/movements throughout our days.

I just went to the basement in my building to get the mail and since I needed to also go to the bank branch on the first floor, I took the stairs. Our stairwell doors are locked past the 2nd floor so I can't do the stairs all the way to my 10th floor office. I don't count these things as "exercise" that I log, but I find myself doing things like the stairs rather than the elevator, or walking the long way around the floor, just being more active in a purposeful way. So my question to all of you is, are you purposely moving more? What do you purposely do in your day that's additional movement or "exercise" just because you can or because it gives you a few more calories burned?

Pat

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I used to cringe at having to go all the way to the parking garage to get stuff from my car. Now I just say that is 200 more steps for my fit bit.
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've started doing squats while I'm making dinner, etc. While I'm standing there waiting for something to heat up, cook, or whatever, I'm doing stretches, lunges, squats, or anything else I can think of!! It all adds up!
  • debhaley1
    debhaley1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have gone from a 6000 steps goal to 8000 steps goal to 10000 steps goal and I refuse to go to bed til I reach my goal. There is no elevator in my building as far as I am concerned anymore, so it is steps only and i get up once every 90 minutes and walk the building up and down, 8 minutes. So when I am short before bed i walk up and down my hallway til i win the game. LOL I really love Shoppinglady1972's idea and might have to try it too.
    I also have hand weights at my desk and at least 3 times a day I do a arm exercise, these wings will be gone if it kills me.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    >>>I have found myself walking around in circles to get those last few steps before bed. LOL
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I never use the elevator if I'm only going up 1-3 flights. And I stopped trying to find the closest parking space to the door ages ago. (It's much faster just to take the first spot you see!) I also try not to sit too much at work. Sitting is killing us IMO. It's been years since my surgery so these things are well-ingrained habits by now.