High Impact vs. Low Impact Exercise

Options
WLS patients, I have a question about exercise. I have become totally addicted to working out and I've recently discovered I love running. My doc says to keep to low impact and not until I'm at a lower BMI can I do so much cardio (I take about five classes a week) because I'm also losing muscle. I lost 2 pounds of muscle and he is concerned. But I gotta say, I feel AMAZING when I work out and I don't want to stop! And my BMI is 28, so I'm only 3 points from where they want me. I know they're the experts, but I don't want to take away these skills I've gained and the feeling I get when working out. I feel like an athlete and that has always been my ultimate goal. What do your doctors say?

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    "Do watever feels good, listen to your body and keep trying." You sound like you are on track, well done.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    consider getting a orthopod to work you up. At a recent medical conference the orthopedist joked that Crossfit injuries will pay all the kids' college bills for the next few years. I do some crossfit but I don't push it like crazy. You can completely be an athlete and not be competing at an elite level. the damage I did to my joints from years of obesity will not tolerate a competitive level of training. I have a 46 yr old girlfriend who used to kill herself to finish with great times at Triathlon. she finally realized that she was damaging herself and just dialed it back to fun level and quit trying to trophy every event. train sensibly for the realities of your body.