"Counting" missed chip time for a PR?

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
I just set three PRs in a 12k this weekend. There were official splits at 8k, 10k, and 12k, and all three were PRs. However, the timers missed my chip start, costing me about 8 seconds. They are PRs either way, but what should I "count" as the PR? The official, incorrect time? Or a better estimate based on my watch?

Replies

• DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I would list your best guess at unofficial. If someone challenges you can explain, but that number is your gold standard that you may try to beat one day, not the artificially longer one.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Who is reviewing your PR's to make sure they are official? If someone ask me my PR for a particular distance I go by whatever my Garmin came up with.
  • davemunger
    Options
    Who is reviewing your PR's to make sure they are official? If someone ask me my PR for a particular distance I go by whatever my Garmin came up with.

Yeah, good point. It's really a matter of the rules you make up for yourself. But sometimes if you tell someone your PR they might look it up...Depending on who it is, it's probably better to avoid embarrassment!
  • davemunger
    Options
    Separate issue: On Garmin Connect you can specify a given run as your "PR," but it will only give you the time for the entire run. Since I got my 10K PR as part of a 12K it won't count it for me. Again, really more of an annoyance than anything since I know my "real" PR, but still!
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I agree on being annoyed with garmin connect! It is bugging me as well!

ON the app front: I believe endomondo counts your (best) split time as PRs (5K, 10K and more). Strava might too.

OT: I do count best "split time" as my PR, it is more due to keeping track of all my data in a humongous spreadsheet, where I have all my splits (mile/5K/10Ks).
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't understand your garmin connect problem. My 1K, 1 mile, and10K PR at garmin connect are all just segments of longer runs. :smile:
  • davemunger
    Options
    larrewl wrote: »
    I don't understand your garmin connect problem. My 1K, 1 mile, and10K PR at garmin connect are all just segments of longer runs. :smile:

Ah, now I see how to do it -- thanks! You choose the race as your PR, then you can edit the time on the PR itself.