First Ultra!

Options
I bit the bullet and signed up for my first ultra tonight. 52 KM on January 24th. The plans i'm looking at look pretty doable and I love trail running! Any tips. Not crazy elevation changes really two 400ft climbs. I'm excited but nervous. Any tips???

Replies

• amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Is it the Coldwater Rumble at Estrella Mountain? If so, my tip is to practice on the course if possible. Good luck either way & have fun!
  • beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Ran my first 50k last year. My tips would be just get your training miles and and have a race day nutrition plan. Good luck!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Buy and read "Relentless Forward Progress". It will certainly help you in your preparations. I had to learn much the old fashioned way! It's nice that there are such good resources today.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Ran my first 50k in October. Absolutely, run on the course if possible! (I did & it helped a lot.) Make sure you have the right shoes. I switched to trail shoes since it was a trail 50k and it made a big difference. Hydrate, eat light. Enjoy it! Good luck! B)
  • vcphil
    vcphil Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Just treat it like a marathon only a hair slower ;-) 400ft sounds like a great first ultra! Good luck.
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Will be doing my first ultra next year also (not until October). Would be interested to hear all about it and any advice also!