Odd symptoms or side effects (Total TMI post!)

Options
UsedToBeHusky
UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
So, I really hate to even talk about this, but I have noticed a rather pungent smell to my urine. So I started researching it, trying to decide if I need to see a doctor, and I was researching to see if it was a possible symptom of PCOS or a side effect of the Metformin and Aldactone. I didn't really find what I was looking for, but I did find that someone suggested a sensitivity to smell as a symptom or side effect suggesting that the urine just smells stronger to me. Anyone else experience this? Am I just crazy? Did I just totally embarass myself on the internet? Anybody else have some embarassing symptoms or side effects to share so I don't feel so foolish? :\

Replies

• toadoftoadhall
    toadoftoadhall Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When you're on medication like metformin and aldactone you need to make sure you drink enough water. It could be that you're dehydrated which would make your urine smell stronger.
    I get all sorts of embarrassing symptoms, wouldn't know where to start listing them!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have more problems with my solid waste, which if I mess up my food on Metformin isn't solid when it exits, and ends up exiting my body before processing is complete, partially because I no longer have a gallbladder, I would assume anyway, and it smells far worse than stronger urine. But there are times when I notice the scent of my urine far stronger than others...as ^^ said, usually when dehydrated. I actually had to quit taking the Aldactone because it compounded my hydration issues.
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Sometimes what you eat can have an effect on the intensity of the smell as well. Salmon, Asparagus and brussels sprouts do it to me. When I had a bladder infection, i noticed the smell was stronger and sharper as well. Might be a good idea to check it out if you are still experiencing it. Sometimes too, you can just call the Drs' office and talk to the nurse and she/he can tell you if you need to come in or not.
  • emeraldbat
    Options
    It doesn't seem to matter what I eat either but I suspect my metformin is the culprit. I couldn't tell at 500mgs a day but almost the same day I went to 1000 I started noticed an awful sour smell.