Don't be a turkey: Join the November 2014 Challenge!

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
Welcome to the MFP runners' Team Challenge! Each month we set running goals and then track our miles and encourage each other to keep it up. Check in here for

November!

To join us, all you need to do is visit the spreadsheet below and record your information on the first tab. The second tab tallies the results.

Click here to join the November Challenge!

To get started, you need to enter your name and your GOAL for November. Let us know in the comments if you have any difficulties doing this. Then, enter your mileage each day. Everything should be automatically tallied on the second page of the spreadsheet -- please DON'T edit the second page!. Let us know if it's not working and we'll fix it!

Important: Enter your name/goal at the bottom of the list; we'll sort it periodically. It doesn't work to add a name to the middle!

*** Spreadsheet:

As usual -- to refresh the spreadsheet -> click the refresh :happy: button on your browser, or try CTRL+R then CTRL + F5 a couple of times if you are using the Windows OS, or replace the CTRL key with Command key if you are on a MAC, or, Command+R and then Command+Shift+R on a MAC. We will try to update this a few times each week, or you can always visit the Google Doc spreadsheet to see the latest!

( --- refresh browser for latest copy --- )
November:
Nov14_MFP.png

October:
Oct14_MFP.png

Replies

• rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am in for 210 this month.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Going for 150 miles again since I'll be recovering from 2 marathons and it's officially my off-season month :)
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Trying for 125 again, need (and hoping for) more, but traveling.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My miles are starting to increase for Half Marathon training so I am going to shoot for 75 mile this month. This will be my highest month ever if I can accomplish the 75 miles
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Last month went really well, even with being sick. So happy to be aiming for 100 miles this month, triple digits here I come!!
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    November plan includes my first full marathon... total for the month is 182 including 12 miles in the week after the marathon... I think I'll put the total amount in there, but I'll be happy with ANY running that week after the full.
  • Leanz
    Leanz Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Hi! Back again

I have a couple of events this month, and will relax a little afterwards! So I am going to aim for 50 miles.
    wombat94 wrote: »
    November plan includes my first full marathon... total for the month is 182 including 12 miles in the week after the marathon... I think I'll put the total amount in there, but I'll be happy with ANY running that week after the full.

Good luck - let us know how you get on!

• Cooriander
    Options
    Good luck wombat on your 1st marathon! So exiting!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Dropping my goal a little bit. Gonna mix things up a bit and do some other cardio along with running. Shooting for 90. Go get it one and all!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Out for the rest of November. Messed up my ankle. Will be spending the month in a boot. December, I will try again. #determined
  • Leanz
    Options
    Out for the rest of November. Messed up my ankle. Will be spending the month in a boot. December, I will try again. #determined

So sorry to hear that! injury sucks - hope it all heals fast!!

• Cooriander
    Options
    ouch, about having to wear to boot so sorry.

Will not beat my goal and it is early in the Months, ugh. Had a setback this week, but will run finally this Friday.

Hit a deer (feeling worse about the deer), got stung by a wasp and my foot swelled so bad I had to wear flip flops (and I hate wearing these), so painful, and itchy. Broke a rib - and I finally can breath deeply enough! What a week!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Wow! What a week! So sorry!!! Have a good run tomorrow.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Updated the spreadsheet image. Personally I'm having a good month -- PRd in a 12k and hit 10k and 8k PRs in the same race! Looks like lots of folks are still on target to reach their goals -- great job, everyone!
  • Leanz
    Options
    Cooriander wrote: »

Hit a deer (feeling worse about the deer), got stung by a wasp and my foot swelled so bad I had to wear flip flops (and I hate wearing these), so painful, and itchy. Broke a rib - and I finally can breath deeply enough! What a week!

What a rough week! Hope it comes together soon
  • Leanz
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Wombat94 - How did the marathon go?
  • Leanz
    Options
    Did my half on 22nd - a horrid wet cold day on a trail that turned muddy. Heavy muddy shoes suck, don't they!!
    - Only good thing - everyone else thought it was a tough one too :)
    - Now wondering what I do with my training, doing London in April 2015, so should I keep mileage up or have a bit of a break?? :\

• wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I did my first full on Sunday. It was not what I was hoping for, but oddly was totally satisfying.

Being my first, I had two goals:

1) Finish the thing
    2) Not to death march at the end

I had a time goal too, of course, but it was entirely secondary (tertiary?).

I had indications in training that I could reasonably go for 5:40ish as a time goal.

I went slightly more conservative and planned for 5:45, but truth be told, I would have been fine with anything under 6:00.

Race day conditions were nearly perfect for my preference: start time temp of about 40 degrees, mostly cloudy and only light winds. Temps were predicted to rise to about 55 by the end of my race. I would have liked it if the start was about 5 degrees cooler, but the temps never really got above 50, so I think that was a wash.

I started out well... keeping on pace with what felt like relative ease, but I noticed by about mile 4 that my HR was well above normal for the pace (normally my race pace has me at 150 bpm - and I was at 160 - 165 pretty consistently).

Philly is a flat course - especially in the first 7 miles - so this was not terrain related and I was running with a terrain-adjusted pace chart in any case.

I held on to my target pace pretty well up until about mile 9/10 (just after the only two significant hills of the course) and even though I had eased up slightly on effort, my HR was still too high. I knew I didn't have another 16/17 miles at that pace in me, so I backed down from 13 minute miles to 15 minute miles for a while.

That was okay, but I was wearing down pretty quickly - I think the harder than expected effort in the first 10 miles had taken more out of me that I expected. After mile 19, I basically opted to abandon time goals entirely and ensure that goals 1 and 2 were met. There was no way I was going to jeopardize the finish by pushing to get close to 6:00.

I converted to a run/walk with more walk than run in miles 19, 20 and 21, more run than walk in 22, 23, 24, back to walk/run in 25 and 26 and then finished up running for the final 0.2.

I came in at 6:51:44 - over an hour slower than my hoped for time, but I finished and by walking much of those last 6 miles, it was anything but a "death march". It was HARD, but I enjoyed the day, interacting with the volunteers and spectators and just being in the moment of completing this goal that I've had.

It just was one of those times when "it wasn't my day". We all experience them in our running, this was just the first time I've had it happen on race day. I think in retrospect I was probably a bit too hyped up with it finally being race day and I wasn't able to keep things under control with my HR.

I don't think I'll be back to the marathon any time soon... I have more weight to lose and a lot more experience to gain in the half marathon. I do plan to keep most of my higher weekly mileage as the move from 20 - 25 mpw up to 30 - 25 mpw agreed with me a lot. The 120 - 150 monthly miles seem sustainable and should definitely help out with my half marathon times.

I'll be here participating in the monthly challenges - just with lower goals for a while.

Ted
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I did my first full on Sunday. It was not what I was hoping for, but oddly was totally satisfying.

1) Finish the thing

I'll be here participating in the monthly challenges - just with lower goals for a while.

Ted

Ted, congrats on completing your first full marathon! I don't even plan to ever attempt one. Half marathons are my maximum planned races. :smile:
  • Leanz
    Options

1) Finish the thing

Ted

Congratulations Ted! You finished!