Calories Killers - Challenge (11/13 - 11/19)

Options
Hi Everyone! I was able to get on at work on my lunch. Hope you have all been well :)

So the challenge is that it is coming the holidays. Today a local radio station is already playing Christmas music...crazy! And as we get in the throw of holidays with the business and all the food, a lot of us get a bit off track or a lot off track & gyms and even MFP turn into a ghost down mid-Dec to mid-Jan.

Part 1 - Come up with & post your game plan to survive the holidays. Most of us won't be perfect, but what can you do better than last year. Or you don't want to eat lots of cookies at a party, so you decide you'll keep gum stocked in your purse & chew it so you can't put food in your mouth. Or you know you will be too busy to get to the gym, so you come up with some things you can do at home like run outside for a quick walk around the block. Or maybe instead of sitting around watching xmas movies the whole month of December you decide to be more active.

Part 2 - Get your family on board if you have one. Do you live at home with your parents? Talk with them about idea you have for things to do during the holidays for things to do or meals. Last Thanksgiving, I flew home to be with my parents & my sis & her husband. I discussed in length with my mom about meals and what they were willing to change & what they weren't...I knew I was messing with tradition:) In the end, we ended up making 2 of some things, like mashed potatoes for everyone & mashed cauliflower for me. The previous Christmas, I got all my mom's recipes & entered them into MFP to figure out the calories, then we made healthier versions of them and I had pre-planned the meals & calories before every flying out there. That was the only xmas I didn't gain weight (didn't lose, but didn't gain either). I also took an exercise DVD that I did in the living room...not every day but at least I did something.

Part 3 - Find a holiday accountability buddy. By now hopefully you have found some MFP folks that you have gotten to know a little bit or people in this group. Ask them to be your accountability partner thru the holidays and tell them exactly what you want to do...like that you want to walk each day for 30 min or you want to not give in to eat cookies or something or you want to still log each day. Then commit to each other to look out for each other over the next 2 months. (You can always report back to me if your accountability partner starts slacking in the accountability portion :) You can message each other once in a while asking how the other is doing or when you notice the other one doesn't seem to be doing what they say their goal was & encourage them to keep at it.

Don't forget to read up on your teammates posts. You might come up with some great ideas. And if you need any recipes.... :)

Replies

• Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    Part 1: My holiday survival strategy is to make sure I schedule my workouts. I need to plan at least the day before and decide, okay, I'm getting up early to hit the gym, or I will work out right after work, etc. Just get it planned and make sure I am making the time for it.

Part 2: I live with my boyfriend, and it's a great idea to get him on board. A good idea would be to go for walks on really busy days or days I just plain don't want to work out. I won't be traveling for the holidays, so it won't be as complicated or hard to resist food, since I will have more control over what food is in our house.

Part 3: My accountability buddy is a friend I met on another weight loss site that doesn't exist anymore, but we keep in touch by email and push each other to go work out, things like that. I will look for one on MFP too.
  • 12qw34
    12qw34 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Part 1. I will try to think of Thanksgiving as one day on November 27th. I will enjoy the day and hopefully get back on track the next day. My gym is open in the morning of Thanksgiving so I plan to head there early. I am just going to my sister's house. She is just 30 minutes away.
    Part 2. My husband eats amazingly well! He weighs the same as when I met him 16 years ago! Still a 32" waste. I have had twins in that time and weigh about 6 lbs more than him. Before kids I weighed about 20 lbs less which bothers me 8 years later.
    Part 3 My friend Kara is my gym buddy! We also work together and have children in the same class. Hopefully she can meet me at the gym Thanksgiving morning. If she can't make it I will take my dog for a long walk. He will be spending Thanksgiving dinner napping on my bed, so the walk will be the highlight for him! I may walk and go to the gym! Exercise always makes me feel better. There will be some kind of family drama so working out will help!
  • Mspmpayne
    Mspmpayne Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Part 1~ My holiday strategy (since I usually do the meal cooking) is to replace hi calorie, unhealthy dishes with better healthier ones. For example for Thanksgiving I am making Ezekiel bread stuffing, adding more walnuts and apples, etc, instead of my regular one. I am scaling the cookie making and baking way back. (only baking for the ones I send out) and for baking that stays at home I am finding healthier baking and cooking options.

Part 2 ~ Craig and I had a talk about this holiday season and he is on board. There is no family down here and he is making changes to reduce carbs in his eating plan so we are on the same page. Yeah!

Part 3 ~ I recently made contact with an old trainer and he is keeping me ON TRACK. He is one of those trainers that don't let up, texts motivational stuff, etc, so I am blessed. =)
  • 3athlt
    3athlt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Part 1 - I plan on keep doing what I'm doing, keep my willpower strong and stay commit ed to my long-term plan on getting healthy and dropping weight. When I signed up for my spring marathon, that more-or-less gave me all the incentive that I needed to stay mentally strong. To do my best on race day I must eat right every day (with the occasional "cheat"), and stick with my training plan.

Part 2 - This will be the toughest part for me, no - make that impossible (through no fault of my own). I live with one of my sisters and she is 100% against getting regular exercise and 100% against modifying recipes to a healthier version. Basically, she makes and buys unhealthy food for her while I make make and buy healthier versions for myself. I'm thankful that she's 100% supportive of my efforts and wants to see me succeed, but she's dead-set against making positive changes to her eating and exercise. Honestly, I don't see any chance of me being successful on this part of the challenge.

Part 3 - I have several MFP friends that I can ask for assistance. I'm sure that someone will step up and give me the support that I need.
  • joeysgirl10
    joeysgirl10 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Part 1: I plan on keeping up my same game plan... I am going to California in February... that is enough motivation to keep this girl on track. Also I have 3 beautiful girls to stay healthy for... and not to mention my boyfriend that is a "few" years younger than me... lol

Part 2: My family is on board with me getting healthy... although they do always offer me my favorite foods... which I can assure you are not the healthiest!... lol ... I also plan on forgiving myself if I do slip! Forgive and move on!!

Part 3: Accountability buddy secured!
  • musicfan4life30
    musicfan4life30 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Part 1 - I want to stick to my calorie budget that i have which is for right now 1,300 calories. I am going to keep walking my dog everyday and I am going to keep working out to the workout videos that my other weight loss/online bootcamp gives me to do everyday. The weight loss/online bootcamp that I am doing is ending next week and then starting back up dec.1st so I hope i will be able to do a lot better with the holidays now that I have MFP and the weight loss/online bootcamp to help me stay on track with my workouts and with my calories! :)

Part 2 -
    My whole family is on board with me to get healthy and to lose weight. That includes my mom, dad and sister and my dog! My dog even comes down to the basement where i work out every morning to my workout videos and lays down there with me while i workout. My mom is also working out with me everyday now also. Whenever my sister is home she works out with me too! :) I'm going to try to stick to my calorie budget during all the holiday meals we have! :)

Part 3 - The people that mostly keep me in check with my calories and with my workouts and my weight loss goals are you guys and my other MFP challenge group the that i do also my family and the other weight loss/online bootcamp that i am in. So i have a lot of people to help keep me in check!

Don't forget to read up on your teammates posts. You might come up with some great ideas. And if you need any recipes.... :)

• 12qw34
    Options
    Part 3 I also want to thank my teammates! This challenge is keeping me motivated. My weight loss has not been as quick as I would like, but I am staying focused and determined.
  • 12qw34
    Options
    So my husband turns 50 on December 10th. His sisters want to get together and go out to eat. Turns out we are going out to brunch at a buffet in NH. I really hate buffets! I do not like the getting your moneys worth mentality and losing track of what you are eating and the wasted food. I was also hoping we would do something kid free. Yes I know it is not my birthday. Anyway, that will be on Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. So I will have more celebrations/food/stress to deal with.
  • 12qw34
    Options
    I guess I will have to shake this off and bring out the Sonya in Vegas attitude. Stick with the fruits and lean meats and away from the chocolate fountain, endless desserts etc...
  • lifeisspiffy
    lifeisspiffy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Part 1: Game plan-- I'm going to try to do as much christmas gift shopping in actual stores and not online so I can get some walking in. Also, keep going to volleyball on Mondays and will try to do some other workouts, either gym time or youtube videos at least once a week. I'm going to try to look for some healthy recipes to make instead of cookies all the time.

Part 2: My family is definitely on board. My dad runs all the time. Brother has recently lost like 70 pounds and likes to go climbing now. Mom is trying hard to be healthier with healthier recipes for dinner and having lots of fruits ready to eat.

Part 3: This group and another holiday group that I joined keep me in check a lot. May need another buddy to message every week about what's going on. Maybe someone from here who wants a specific buddy?
  • MistyRose0424
    MistyRose0424 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Part 1- Is to just try to resists tempting treats at work and stick to my plan. To just enjoy Thanksgiving day as a free day and get back to it the day after.

Part 2- My family is supportive but really don't have to watch what they eat. Although they have been eating more healthy since I have been.

Part 3- Yes I have an accountability partner so hopefully we can really lean on each other this holiday season and keep each other on track.
  • Mspmpayne
    Mspmpayne Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    12qw34 wrote: »
    So my husband turns 50 on December 10th. His sisters want to get together and go out to eat. Turns out we are going out to brunch at a buffet in NH. I really hate buffets! I do not like the getting your moneys worth mentality and losing track of what you are eating and the wasted food. I was also hoping we would do something kid free. Yes I know it is not my birthday. Anyway, that will be on Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend. So I will have more celebrations/food/stress to deal with.

You can do it!!! You can make right choices for yourself. Hang tough!

• 12qw34
    Options
    Mspmpayne wrote: »

You can do it!!! You can make right choices for yourself. Hang tough!

Thank you I am feeling a lot better about it now!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options

Buffets are hard! Even if I walk in with the best of intentions, eventually just being surrounded by all that food wears me down. Can you sit far away from the buffet tables and roughly plan ahead of time what you will eat?
  • 12qw34
    Options

Buffets are hard! Even if I walk in with the best of intentions, eventually just being surrounded by all that food wears me down. Can you sit far away from the buffet tables and roughly plan ahead of time what you will eat?

Yes we will be a party of 16 and I have been there before. The table we usually have you can not see the food, and I generally do not get up for seconds. I should be ok. I will let my husband finish our children's leftovers and may have one dessert. I am not kidding when I say they have a chocolate fountain!
  • bgoodsmile
    bgoodsmile Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Part 1 - I will continue to work out a minimum of 5 days a week, no matter what! Even if my out-of-town guests who are staying with me for Xmas have to see me shaking my Zumba maracas!

Part 2 - I am not going to fib - I am going to absolutely indulge in holiday meals & at holiday parties! My plan is to only indulge for the events themselves - on the in-between days I will be back to 1100-1200 cal. My goal is not to lose weight between now & mid-January - 3 big family bdays in early January! - it is to stay within 3 pounds of my current weight. I will consider that a MAJOR victory!

Part 3 - My boyfriend & daughter are both wary of gaining weight this holiday season, so we plan to keep each other in check!
This discussion has been closed.