A New Plan

Options
So, I've been having a little trouble.
Again.
Gosh. This is getting so ridiculous!

But, trust me, it's not about gaining weight as much or anything like that. I'm just unsure of the exercises I'm doing. For a while, I had only been satisfied if I did cardio. Then, when I changed to weights, I only felt satisfied if I lifted weights, rather than cardio.
Now, I'm getting into the cardio mindset again because the weights are satisfying me.

I believe that they can, but I think that the moves I'm doing just aren't good enough.
I like that I'm doing a four day split, that seems to work the best, but I was wondering if you all could share the moves you do that you feel are most effective, and maybe help me create a NEW four day plan?

My usual plan is this:

Upper:
Bench Presses
Upright Dumbbell Rows
Military Press
Barbell Press
Assisted Pullups/Chinups/Dips
Flies (starts with a P, but I forgot what it's called)
Bicep Curls
and a few other moves with dumbbells or just my bodyweight that has escaped my name.

Lower:
Lunges
Sumo Squats
Bodyweight Squats
Hip Adductors/Abductors
Calf Raises (bodyweight plus dumbbells)
Calf Curls
Leg Extensions
Leg Curls
and again, a few others.

Anything you think that I'm missing? I do dead lifts once in a while, but I don't have gloves, so it continually scrapes against my hands and hurts. So, I guess I might need to get some gloves.

PM me and/or any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of volume. You'd probably be better off if you followed a professionally designed plan. A couple of good resources would be the book New Rules of Lifting or this website: http://www.niashanks.com/best-workout-program-build-better-body-be-awesome/
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's a lot of volume. What about a different programme. E.g. Wendlers 5/3/1 is a four day programme but it would mean you could do more exercises but less, if you know what I mean? =D (it concentrates on 1 main exercise + accessories so everyday is different).

Or, if you'd be interested in 5 days, I'm doing layne norton's PHAT just now, it has lower and upper power/strength days then a 3 day hypertrophy split.

Sounds like you just need a good programme you're happy with. I'd highly recommend wendlers, I was on it for about 40 weeks. I'm undecided on the PHAT as I've only been at it a couple of weeks.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Yes, that's a lot of volume. What about a different programme. E.g. Wendlers 5/3/1 is a four day programme but it would mean you could do more exercises but less, if you know what I mean? =D (it concentrates on 1 main exercise + accessories so everyday is different).

Or, if you'd be interested in 5 days, I'm doing layne norton's PHAT just now, it has lower and upper power/strength days then a 3 day hypertrophy split.

Sounds like you just need a good programme you're happy with. I'd highly recommend wendlers, I was on it for about 40 weeks. I'm undecided on the PHAT as I've only been at it a couple of weeks.

I agree that those are great programs (and I'm currently doing Wendler's), but the OP's mention of body squats and no back or front squats makes me wonder if she's advanced enough for a program like that.
  • LiveMore101
    LiveMore101 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I can't do a ton of squatting because unfortunately, I have really bad knees. :( So that may take out a big majority of the any or all of those programs. I just still feel like a "newbie" who has no idea what they are doing. I'm unsure of how long a workout should, how much I should be sweating, pushing myself, etc.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you're a newbie I would recommend finding a program and sticking with it. I wouldn't try to create your own. Something similar to PHAT is PHUL - it's also an upper/lower split but only 4 days. I ran it a couple of times and absolutely love it.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

The program does have back/front squats, but Muscleandstrength.com also shows several alternatives for quad dominant lifts if you feel like you cannot do squats.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/exercises/quads.html

And there's Strong Curves which I'm doing right now. Love, love, love. The below has a couple of different programs - beginner, advanced, lower only and at home. But most people who have been lifting for a few months just go straight to the advanced.

http://bretcontreras.com/wp-content/uploads/Strong-Curves-Workout-Templates.pdf

Just some ideas.

How newbie are you? There's also Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength which are great if you're a super newb.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Okay apologies if you have something drastically medically wrong with your knees - in which case, ignore this advice.

SQUAT!!!

I also had bad knees (from mid twenties till about 37 - when I started squatting) I had just assumed my knees were deteriorating with age but I have zero pain now. Building up the muscle around the joint strengthens and protects it. I'm not sure of the whole scientific explanation but I no longer have bad knees :)

If you have a bit of discomfort at the start you can use wraps or sleeves to keep them warm. Obviously don't work through PAIN but discomfort is another thing.
  • PwrLftr82
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Okay apologies if you have something drastically medically wrong with your knees - in which case, ignore this advice.

SQUAT!!!

I also had bad knees (from mid twenties till about 37 - when I started squatting) I had just assumed my knees were deteriorating with age but I have zero pain now. Building up the muscle around the joint strengthens and protects it. I'm not sure of the whole scientific explanation but I no longer have bad knees :)

If you have a bit of discomfort at the start you can use wraps or sleeves to keep them warm. Obviously don't work through PAIN but discomfort is another thing.

I agree. A lot of people don't squat because of "bad knees," but the muscle gain you will reap around your patellas will actually help strengthen your knees.
  • LiveMore101
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check into those programs!
    I've been lifting, like REALLY lifting beyond the dinky 5 pounds, since June 9th. :) Not sure if I'm still considered a newbie. I just feel so inexperienced still, so in my mind, I feel like a newbie, but I don't think I'll be gaining any "newbie" gains anymore. :disappointed:
    As far as squatting, something continually pops in the left side of my left knee. It is discomforting. Sometimes, I feel major pain in my knees, to the point where I feel like I'm putting more strain on my knees then working anything else. I can feel my body become unbalanced when I squat, because I end up tilting to the left. I've looked up videos of squatting, have checked my form multiple times, have narrowed the squat, or widened it, but nothing has helped so far. :/
  • LiveMore101
    Options
    I could probably start with just bodyweight squats, if anything. I've been doing that a lot lately because I didn't want to give up squats, but I feel like I should be a bit farther than just bodyweight squats.
  • 3laine75
    Options
    Just wanted to add, parallel or below for the squats - if you haven't already seen that all over the boards. My reasoning is that I read in 'starting strength' that partial squats put pressure on and are bad for your knees and full squats don't/aren't - mr rippetoe knows a lot more than me so I've stuck with below parallel - if I can't get below parallel at a weight then I don't do that weight.

I totally struggled with squats myself and after a few bungled sessions with the bar, resigned myself to the fact that I had to start with bodyweight, then a broomstick, then tiny plates on that broomstick till I worked myself up to the bar. All psychological with me and I have no issues now but with squats, you just have to do what you have to do to get there. Broomstick worked for me, goblet squats worked for my mum and I've read others did well with box squats - just find what works for you and say hello to happy knees :smile:
  • LiveMore101
    Options
    So, my butt should sink BELOW my knees? Hmm. I was always a bit above parallel myself. I guess I'll just have to start with bodyweight then. Maybe holding a ten pound plate or a few dumbbells. We'll see! But I'll keep working on it! :)
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I also had knee issues with squatting, but since I've really taken the time to perfect my form (read Starting Strength), my squats have improved. It's definitely still a work in progress. But you want to make sure that you're going to parallel. It always surprises me where parallel actually is- I have to make a conscious effort to get that low. I shoot videos of myself and watch them, and unless I really make a conscious effort I'll be slightly above parallel.

Some quick tips to help you go to parallel and take less of the force off your knees and have it be on your hips where it should be- shove your knees out the whole time, make sure you're looking at a downward angle (helps with balance), and make sure you're crouching forward enough (the back squat shouldn't be at a vertical angle like the front squat). Everyone has different variations on what they like to do, but those are some of the things that have worked for me. Definitely read Starting Strength. You may have something seriously wrong with your knees, but honestly it just sounds like form issues.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have an old knee injury and "crunchy" knees that hurt....some days more than others. Squatting really aggravates it, however not so much when I do wide stance (plie) squats. Go figure?!? There are lots of different variations you can do, in addition to progressing on your regular squats if it is just a form issue. I do lots of deads, leg press, split squats, walking lunges, etc. Anything that doesn't hurt my knee basically. :)

I switch up my program every so often. I've gone from an upper/lower split to a more of an old school style and am really enjoying it. I feel like it's more focused and I can really work each muscle thoroughly. Plus I've just transitioned from a hypertrophy bulk to strength focused. Loving it!

There are a lot of different programs you can follow, and I've realized that the best one is the one you enjoy as long as it's balanced. Right now my week looks like:

Mon - Legs
    Tues - Chest and Triceps
    Wed - cardio....HIIT style, running or kickboxing
    Thurs - Back and biceps
    Fri - Shoulders and Glutes
    Sat - walking or something fun for movement
    Sun - rest

I always start with big compound moves and base my workout around those. Deadlifts, Chest press, Dips, pull/chin ups, shoulder press, etc. Then I will add in accessory lifts. Depending on what my time looks like or how I feel, I will add 5 min of HIIT at the end of my session with rope pulls or whatever. Just to kill it before I stretch. Feels great!

This has been my favorite schedule by far, but it really is just personal preference.

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Parallel is what I'd read everywhere too, but I can't get there without "butt-winking". A personal trainer I've been working with said not only is that dangerous, but your back ends up doing the work anyway instead of your glutes/hamstrings.

Because I'd rather not injure my back, I've been squatting only to the depth right before my lower back tried to round, which for me is just above parallel. I can still focus on my glutes to get me out of the hole. I also do glute/ham specific exercise. Barbell glute bridge, glute/ham raises, kneeling squats... And then a series of stiff legged lower body exercises, like romanian dead lift, single leg romanian dead lift. And of course regular dead-lift, though I do use the trapezoidal bar because I prefer it.

My knees quit hurting with squats when I went a little wider with my toes turned out. I don't have knee pain anymore. Now I just need to figure out how to not have hip pain. :-(