Online Dating Etiquette

Options
Joannah700
Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
Ok. I've done it. I've taken the leap. My name is Joannah, and I am an online dater.

(If you've followed my other posts, then a little explanation may be required. I feel that I can date now, because while separated, I've started the paperwork for the divorce, and some events transpired that made me realize I haven't moved forward purely because I felt guilty that my ex was still sad. I was waiting for him to be happy before I moved on. But I can't do that.)

Regardless. I have posted my profile on Match.com and was wondering...what's your take on online dating etiquette? If someone swipes 'interested' in you, do you swipe back if you're unsure? When the conversation has fizzled (on your end) do you let them know (and potentially get involved in the resulting exchange or just hope they think it fizzled too?

Advice is appreciated my friends.

Especially since I know that you all can complete a logical, coherent sentence. With proper punctuation. Oh, how I :heart: each and every one of you for that at this moment.

Replies

• Tube_socks
    Tube_socks Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Most online Sayers know the drill and if you're a first timer, you'll get the drill pretty quickly! I wouldn't suggest you swipe back (not sure what that is, I was on match for a couple of days then got a refund :) ) if you're unsure unless the reason is you're not sure if you're attracted. But if the guy is meh to you, next.
    Some online dating conversations will fizzle. I would not really feel the need to explain why or whatever. I'd just let it fizzle on it's own. If he asked or kept writing, then I'd mention it. Fizzling wil happen after 1st dates as well. Very normal! Hell I had online interests fuzzle after a month! It would just happen.

Good luck! Dating is fun but scary at first. I was married for 11 yrs and was sooooo nervous about dating again but then I quickly turned pro. Lol
  • Joannah700
    Options
    That's awesome!

I only dated a little before I met my husband. And we were together for 10 years. So your advice definitely strikes a cord.

Thank you for that!
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    One bit of advice I would offer: Don't spend weeks emailing and texting before meeting. The meeting is the only thing that matters in the end. No amount of buildup and great conversation makes up for a dull, crappy date. . And you just never know how it's going to go until you are sitting across from someone. If you've spent weeks getting to know them and the date is a dud, it then feels like you've lost a friend. It also can lead to a lot of awkward exchanges after the date.

Lunch dates are my preference because they aren't really 'romantic' like an elegant dinner date is. It's a great way to get a feel for someone, to see if there's an interest, to feel if there's any chemistry. I prefer to see if there's a connection before pouring on the romance .
  • Tube_socks
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Yes! My first online date was after a month of talking. A month! I was in no hurry but he ended up as a friend as soon as I met him in person. I wasn't attracted to him.
    As I practiced more, hell I'd start talking to a guy one night then 1 or 2 nights later it'd be meet up for a drink. I just wanted to see them in person ASAP! I had instances where online we were perfect, chemistry was crazy then in person, nothing and vice versa.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda split on when to meet:

On one hand, if you communicate (email.text.phone) for a couple of weeks (certainly not months!) then you get to know each other a fair bit. Thereafter, I've always found I've had a great date! Even if we aren't physically attracted, we have had plenty to talk about and left as friends. I'm very into personality so it's important to me that we connect on that level first anyhow (I prefer to be chatting on the phone pretty soon as the written word can only 'say' so much!). I guess the problem is that I feel more disappointed that there wasn't a physical connection too!

On the other hand, if you meet straight away then you ONLY have physical chemistry to go by and you haven't invested any time if there's no attraction. And believe me, sometimes this is a good thing as profiles are not always........erm......accurate!

I think my main advice would be to follow your instincts. Be aware that there are a lot of scammers, trolls, married people, sex fiends and freaks out there!!!! (Another reason why I like to chat for a bit as this is not always apparent immediately). So have your wits about you, have an open mind and dont let anyone convince you out of your comfort zone!

Sorry if that sounds cynical. Dont get me wrong, I've met some lovely guys and even met the love of my life online too!! (He just didnt feel the same).

Good luck :D

• lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have never done the online dating thing. I do agree with Anna to follow your gut. That is true no matter how you meet someone.

Good luck!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Good luck no matter how you do it!!!

I'm fumbling thru it myself. Don't know if there is a right or a wrong way but my preference is to meet as soon as possible. I'd rather not waste my time if their pictures do not represent who they truly are (which most don't).

I do have this one guy has been texting/calling for a couple weeks & haven't met yet. that's odd for me. we plan to meet this weekend. However... this morning, neither one of us texted a good morning text. This afternoon I get a text asking if we're not talking anymore because he hadn't heard from me yet today??? WTF??? Where do I find these insecure guys? One guy whined that he thought I don't find him desirable anymore, two others tell me they love me the day they meet me, this one thinks we aren't talking because we didn't exchange a text in the last 18 hours... Seriously... Where are the good ones??? Lol!

OP... have fun w it tho!
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    One bit of advice I would offer: Don't spend weeks emailing and texting before meeting. The meeting is the only thing that matters in the end. No amount of buildup and great conversation makes up for a dull, crappy date. . And you just never know how it's going to go until you are sitting across from someone. If you've spent weeks getting to know them and the date is a dud, it then feels like you've lost a friend. It also can lead to a lot of awkward exchanges after the date.
    This is the most important piece of advice. Don't waste your time talking for weeks.

As he said, meet within the first two weeks. Personally, I used to do it after 4-5 messages and the idea was to have a friendly pint with someone for 1 hour and see what happens, if conversation flows, if we have common interests, etc. Get to know the other person basically. It's OK to NOT be interested in someone after you meet too. It's not a commitment to anything (aside from being there on the date).
    I would say that common understanding and vibe about the date should be: "Let's just meet, and see what happens...".

Also, to give you a bit of background information: online dating heavily favours women.
    Women get contacted dozens of times more than men get contacted, if men get contacted at all. This create a supply/demand market that heavily favours women.
    It is what it is, but this will affect you in one way or another, as a lot of men will be very "sensitive" and will take rejection poorly (insults, insecurity and whatnot).
    Male egos are constantly bruised with online dating, so don't "hurt" men unnecessarily, but feel free to ignore rude men, those who keep harassing you or those profiles you are simply not interested in.
    It's a number game for men, so most men will just cast a very wide net (i.e. contact everyone), so only reply to those men you are interested in to let them know this and ignore the rest.

Still, I feel it's "fair" after you have met for real to send a text with the usual apologetic crap: "You're a really nice person but I didn't really feel the chemistry I was looking for. Thanks for the date, I wish you luck in your search!".
    Playing dead only wastes the other person's time IMO.
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have fumbled thru the online dating scene for awhile now. As for Match with the swiping..."liking" them does not mean much of anything. I have never had someone contact me because of that...........

As for meeting sooner or later........I have done both-I just totally go with instinct on this. The guy I am seeing now--we started talking on a Wednesday and met that Friday night, and that was almost 2 months ago! But...there are guys I waited a few weeks and then would meet, just depends on so many variables.

Good luck!
  • Cameron_1969
    edited November 2014
    Options
    One more piece of advice for the guys on here. . If you go an a date with a girl and have immediate and intense chemistry to the point that you are making out in the restaurant and then the girl offers you her body if you just say the words "There is no God". . .She's the devil. .
  • Joannah700
    Options
    Hahaha. Love that ^^

Ok. So I admit, people really love my profile. They must my writing ability and references to Kill Bill. I've been getting dozens of messages. It has NOTHING to do with my smile or pics.

I've been responding to everyone, no matter how lame. Are you saying that if I think it's lame, or a paltry, 'hi' I should ignore it? That just seems....rude!

But if online dating etiquette dictates that any response is interest. I'll try.
  • Cameron_1969
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Here's what I would say. . a 'hi' is pretty lame, but some good guys aren't so adept with the written word. . So maybe at least check out their profile. If their lameness is still obvious. . ignore.

• Joannah700
    Options
    Ohh. And thanks everyone for replying! You guys are the best.

• Tube_socks
    Options
    I gotta brag. I had an awesome profile and many men would write me complimenting it. I truly tried to "show off" my personality via words... Difficult but I think I achieved it!
    I ignored the "hi"s or "hey beautiful". Come on! You can do better than that. I would never write back a guy a simple "ok". I put in energy and creativity. If you couldn't do that when we're tryingv to "impress" each other in the very beginning... I'm not interested.

Once you get a hang of it.. You'll see. Im tellin you. Online daters know the drill.
  • Joannah700
    Options
    You all were so right!

And no worries Tube Socks, my personality comes through in my profile in shining colors, it's not your typical profile. As one of my friends put it, you will attract smart guys with that profile and dumb guys that don't realize that you have to be smart to respond.

At first I responded to everyone and really used it as an opportunity to hone my stand up...but then I realized that it skewed the results of who you were 'paired up' with. So now I'm only responding to people who can comment intelligently on at least one of the witticisms or attributes in my profile.

What I didn't realize? It's such a time suck! You have a few conversations online and then you give them your number and they text all the time...it's so distracting!

Now I'm stuck in this weird limbo land. A conversation is just a conversation. But do you actively seek out and respond to other people when you're having a good conversation with someone else? It feels disingenuous, but I know intellectually it's just...conversation.

And conversation is conversation - there are no sly metaphors going on here.

It's so strange. I feel like I have a rotating roster on my phone and once I go on a date and realize ...no sparks/interest IRL. They get moved off and inevitably someone else messages soon.

For someone who dated maybe a handful of people before my ex to having gone on 5 first dates in a month? This is a strange world. Is this common with online dating? I don't want to become one of those dating horror stories.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    This was one of my struggles with online dating. I don't have the time or energy to really "date" more than one guy at a time, but then is communicating on a dating site the same thing as dating? And why do I feel like I shouldn't set up dates with multiple people? I do one...then if (when) it doesn't work out, only then would I start up or resume communicating with other guys.

I want to echo everyone who said that you need to MEET a person if you like them. And if they can't or won't meet up, it 100% means they are married fakers. Trust.

How are your dates going?
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's fine to talk to multiple people at the same time -- the thing I have learned with online dating is that it is best to be a bit emotionally removed at first. Most potentials honestly poof within the first month, so I prefer to hold off on the emotions until it seems like it really is going somewhere.

Are you just on Match? Or on any other sites/apps? Generally with Match or OKCupid, etc. I prefer to reply to messages that consist of more than "hi." However, if you are on Tinder or another phone type app, all you're going to get at first is "hi" or "hey." Those venues are much less formal, so I tend to just reply in an equally brief manner until they start to open up and a real conversation develops.
  • Joannah700
    Options
    I'm on match and coffee meets bagel. I'm meeting everyone who I talk to within a week typically. Sometimes it's a few days, the longest was a month because of scheduling issues.

I haven't met anyone who I wanted to go on a second date with - I have made one friend though. Which I'm being cautious about. I explained I'm only getting friendly vibe and when he wanted to hang out after the first time I made sure he knew it would just be 'friendly', but I'm definitely being cautious with that one.

So far all on my dates, everyone has been very nice to me, no disasters.

I admit to being a bit quirky. This is fully evident in my profile, my texts, messages, everyday conversation... but seriously I find myself toning it down in person to try to make these fellows more comfortable. Unintentionally, I am intimidating my dates. They talk to me via text or over the phone, but sit them across a table from me? They get nervous and I find myself toning myself down to make them more comfortable. Which means I don't even get to use my funniest material. And this isn't just me with a big head, the gents have admitted to being nervous after the date. Which makes me feel like a bit of an *kitten* for not digging them. But what are you going to do?

Plus, it's only been a month.

• OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Haha well, finding people you actually like is by far the most difficult part of online dating.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    I'm on match and coffee meets bagel. I'm meeting everyone who I talk to within a week typically. Sometimes it's a few days, the longest was a month because of scheduling issues.

I haven't met anyone who I wanted to go on a second date with - I have made one friend though. Which I'm being cautious about. I explained I'm only getting friendly vibe and when he wanted to hang out after the first time I made sure he knew it would just be 'friendly', but I'm definitely being cautious with that one.

So far all on my dates, everyone has been very nice to me, no disasters.

I admit to being a bit quirky. This is fully evident in my profile, my texts, messages, everyday conversation... but seriously I find myself toning it down in person to try to make these fellows more comfortable. Unintentionally, I am intimidating my dates. They talk to me via text or over the phone, but sit them across a table from me? They get nervous and I find myself toning myself down to make them more comfortable. Which means I don't even get to use my funniest material. And this isn't just me with a big head, the gents have admitted to being nervous after the date. Which makes me feel like a bit of an *kitten* for not digging them. But what are you going to do?

Plus, it's only been a month.

Perhaps speak to them on the phone/text for longer. That way, you can establish if they 'get you' before you waste a date?

I always tend to get chatting to one guy at a time. The mutual interest is evident quite early on, so I tend to lose contact with other guys that are less appealing. Of course, if there are two (or more) guys that are just as interesting, then I would converse with both.

I think if you're going to meet quickly then you can't really establish a one to one thing.

It's up to you how often you meet someone and if you want to talk to many. There's no right or wrong.

Have fun :)