Running my FIRST HM tomorrow morning...Any last minute bits of advice?

Options
Feel pretty good...nervous, but ready...I've calmed down about what my time is going to be because since it's my first one, just finishing will be a PR so...(or, at least that's what I keep trying to convince myself :wink: )

Any tips/tricks/etc for me? My biggest worry is the cold...it's only supposed to be 29 degrees during the time I'm running tomorrow...dry, so that's good, but still cold...and I can't really layer because the timing chips they use are in the bibs, so it has to be on the top layer and stay on the top layer, if that makes sense...so, I'm not quite sure what I'm going to do to combat the cold but sweaty factor....any ideas on that would be great...

Anyhow...wish me good luck!!

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Pin the bib to your pants and bottom layer
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Also, I have to packet pick up there tomorrow...which means, for me, that I have to wake up around 3am...I can get a hotel and drive down tonight for $80 bucks and gain about 2.5 hours of sleep...worth it or would you think the sleepiness won't really be a factor once the adrenaline gets going??
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    You usually sleep crappy night before anyway :). Three tips: have FUN. Slap,hands with little kids. Pump your arms to any crowds. Have a good time. Control the pace the first 7 miles. Really easy to go to fast thinking this is so easy. It should be easy those first 7. When you get tired remember to run tall and to,shorten your stride. You'll be warm once you get running. You can wear a big garbage bag in the corral and take it off just before race starts. And , HAVE FUN
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Get a good night's sleep. Don't do anything that you haven't done in training. And most importantly, enjoy the experience!
    As for attire, I would typically wear running tights, an underarmour base layer, tech top, running gloves and hat. BUT again, don't do anything you haven't done in training.
    Not sure what time your race starts, but packet pick up typically doesn't take all that long. I have gotten up as early as 4am for a triathlon. Benedryl or tylenol pm help me get to sleep around 8pm, but I wouldn't recommend trying it out now. Personally, I'd get a hotel. Not just for the extra sleep, but also because I wouldn't want to be sitting in a car for 2.5 hours before having to run. For me, if it's more than 90 minutes away, I'll get a hotel. If it's more than 60 minutes, I'll consider a hotel.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything dumb. You'll warm up quickly so wear some throwaway clothes or a cheap blanket that you can toss once you start.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Just have a good time and enjoy the experience.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    As above, enjoy yourself. Don't race out at the beginning; it will make the last part of the race a matter of being in pure survival mode.

Finally, dress for the temperature not for the weather. Once you get going, the apparent temperature will be the windchill temp (if there is a windchill) + 20°F. You may have to have some disposable sweatshirt or jacket to accomplish this or be willing to tie it around your waist. Above 40°F, I generally don't wear tights. Below that, I do. It keeps the legs warm.

Have some warm, dry clothes at the finish to put on over your running gear.

If they are offering free or reduced cost massages at the end, treat yourself to that. It will help your walk back to the car and your drive home.

Make sure you allow yourself plenty of time to get to packet pick up and then get in line for that last call at the porta-potty. You don't want to be worrying yourself that you won't get there on time.

I've done both where I've driven a couple of hours to the packet pickup and I've gone the overnight at a hotel. Either way, you probably won't sleep well; I haven't.

Start your walking warm up no later than 15 minutes before the race. Get yourself up to a moderate jog and then to get yourself to the proper pace area in the start chute.

Good luck!
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bring some spare toilet paper just in case.
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :) I ended up having a miserable race...tired carb loading Friday...ate something that didn't agree...and was puking on the side of the course from mile 4 til the end...ugh...BUT, I finished :) 2:49:15...awful time, but despite thinking of throwing in the towel, I finished...first of many, and still a great accomplishment....1 down, many more to go, and loved every second after finishing :)
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :) I ended up having a miserable race...tired carb loading Friday...ate something that didn't agree...and was puking on the side of the course from mile 4 til the end...ugh...BUT, I finished :) 2:49:15...awful time, but despite thinking of throwing in the towel, I finished...first of many, and still a great accomplishment....1 down, many more to go, and loved every second after finishing :)

So sorry to hear that :( I think we've all had our share of race disasters. Sounds like you learned the hard way - don't do anything differently than during your training. Congrats on hanging in there!
  • nats2508
    nats2508 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In spite of everything, you did it! well done.
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Great job. I finished my race in 2:58:00 and wasn't puking. I'm very proud of both of us.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing! Sorry to hear about the digestive issues, but at least you have a good story. Not many people would go on to run another 9 miles after puking...way to stick it out!!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finishing, sorry to hear about your stomach issues! You can be double proud though, not an easy thing to do when you feel lousy.
    Stef.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you had a miserable race, well done for sticking it out and finishing, the next one will be more fun I'm sure and you've got a PR to better now. Have you got your next half booked yet?
    2 weeks until my first half, hope I'm not sick, not sure I could carry on if I had an upset tummy.
  • OldNoobJohn
    OldNoobJohn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like your attitude! Rock on!

• STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Chalk it up to learning experience. But congratulations for finishing. Wear your medal (I presume you received a medal) proudly.

Something for you to consider for the next one: try carb loading in the 3 days before your next race with your lightest food intake in the 12 hours before the race. You are trying to store up glycogen and if you depend upon the day or night before, you probably won't get your muscles fully charged. I was really surprised by how much of a difference that seemed to make. You will find trying to take in approximately 70% carbs a challenge but doable during a loading routine.

Note that excessive carb loading the day before often results in sudden carb "unloading."

Here's to your next race and many more!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I wasn't too far from you on my first half in 2011. I limped my *kitten* in, and quit running. First full was the same story, but I kept at it that time. Great attitude, and I'm curious as to what your next one is. Admit it, you've been looking :)
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I am super impressed by your refusal to give up and go home. Great attitude. Well done.

You'll have learnt a lot from your 1st I am sure. Next one will be great.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    1. Have fun.
    2. Agree with pinning your bib to your pant leg. And use all 4 safety pins.
    3. Even if you don't think you need it, when you pass a water station, take one.
    4. If you're on an out-and-back loop, when you see the leaders on the return leg, cheer them on as you/they run past.
    5. If there are police officers directing traffic along the route, thank them as you pass them, most of them are volunteering their time so you can run a race.
    6. Have fun.
    7. It's OK to brag (a little) when you finish.