Just joined Crossfit!

Options
Niff314
Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
My On-Ramp starts 12-1. Any tips or recommendations for beginners appreciated. =)

Replies

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You'll get your tips in the on-ramp class, don't worry. One of the great things about Crossfit is that you get lots of help and direction.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Two main things: (1) ALWAYS focus on form and doing things right over trying to Rx a workout and (2) check your ego at the door. Crossfit is the most humbling workout I have ever done. Nothing else comes close. Good luck and have fun!!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Commit to doing it for at least a month, 3x per week minimum. You're going to feel awkward. This too shall pass. :) Everyone had to go through it so no one will be judging you.
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Agree 100% with the above posts. Also be sure to focus on increasing your mobility/flexibility as it will make the movements easier and will allow you to to use better form. Increased Mobililty = Proper Form = Increased Weights = Increased Strength = Awesome Results!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add except even if you are sore as all heck, go to the gym. The warmup will often be enough to get you ready for the workout. If you think it isn't, check with the coaches and do some additional loosening or just focus on mobility. Either way you end up better.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Just have fun, be safe...and, yes, 3x a week is a good minimum.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I still stick to that (3x week) with the occasional 4x and usually one run or cardio session just as active recovery.
  • Niff314
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Definitely looking forward to next Monday. They have me on a Mon/Wed schedule for on-ramp, and then I get to decide the frequency afterwards. 3x/week sounds reasonable.
    Question - the boy and I are going to be in Florida for 2.5 weeks for Christmas; is it possible to be a "guest" at a box if you're traveling?
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    niffiner1 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! Definitely looking forward to next Monday. They have me on a Mon/Wed schedule for on-ramp, and then I get to decide the frequency afterwards. 3x/week sounds reasonable.
    Question - the boy and I are going to be in Florida for 2.5 weeks for Christmas; is it possible to be a "guest" at a box if you're traveling?

Yup. Generally, it's a good idea to let them know you're coming ahead of time. They'll usually have a guest fee or you can just buy a shirt from the box (which counts as your guest fee).
  • Niff314
    Options
    Excellent - thanks!
  • chelsfelt
    chelsfelt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you haven't been working out at home or at another gym, you are going to be really really sore for a few weeks. In fact, I still get sore every single workout and I've been doing crossfit for several months now. If you're sore, the best thing I can tell you is drink a *kitten* ton of water and get into the gym. Warming up those tight muscles gets the stiffness out better than staying at home :). I started at 3x a week and just in the last few weeks worked up to 5x a week consistently.

Take your time, don't try to lift too heavy too fast, and learn your body's pace in WODs. On-ramp will teach you all you need to know :). The best part about Crossfit is that everyone in its community is so supportive of newbies. They'll make you feel at home
  • Niff314
    Options
    First on-ramp session was a success! I'm a bit sore this morning but was still able to walk my 4 miles to work at my usual pace. Looking forward to Wednesday!

Question: How do you all log your Crossfit workouts in MFP?
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    depends how you track your calories. I just created a new Crossfit exercise and average 250 cals per work out.
  • Niff314
    Options
    Actually I just discovered MapMyWalk ports Crossfit workouts into MFP - win!