Lighter Helps on Hilly Half Marathon Course. The good and bad.

Options
phil230532
phil230532 Posts: 41 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
Ran a local half marathon yesterday with less than 100 runners. The good, ran it 9 pounds lighter. The bad, followed a group that took a wrong turn. Ended up running 15.2 miles with the worst hills that I have ever seen. Longest run in years. The good, legs never gave out and was more efficient up hills. The bad, missed check point when off course, no official time and would have easily been 2nd in age group, based on Garmin time. The good, get to run another one in 3 weeks on a flat course. The good, great conversation with other lost runners and a good story for my family.

Replies

• STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Lighter is better in all conditions. As runners, we are constantly lifting ourselves off the ground to move forward. I went the other direction this summer and actually gained weight when I added the increasing number of speed workouts. Measurements suggest that I lost some fat in percentage of body weight and gained some lean muscle mass, but I realize that it might have been easier if I was a bit lighter in my most recent marathon.

Bummer on the wrong turn. I have never done that though I came close in a small marathon earlier this year. Looks like you have an opportunity to redeem yourself in a couple of weeks.

Good luck to you on that race!
  • phil230532
    Options
    Thanks STrooper, I agree with the light being better in my case, but gaining lean muscle mass sounds positive also. I am light for my height but the mirror test needed improvement. I am one pound away from the weight where I have run good races. I have run the next half marathon in the past with a couple of thousand runners. Any age group awards will be out of the question at this one, but there will be a good chance to run a good time and then wait on my daughter to finish the marathon!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Bummer about the wrong turn, but congrats on finishing it and in good time. Good luck with your next race.
    Stef.
  • phil230532
    Options
    Thanks Stef, taking the positives. It's been a long time since I have been sore from running, but a good sore and no injuries from that race. Hope it makes me stronger for the next one.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to confess that I laughed a bit about the wrong turn - of course I'd have been angry as heck if that had been me. Well done!!!
  • phil230532
    Options
    Even the top runners had problems at this race. Eleven runners that would have finished in the top 15 and one would have been close to 2nd had their times thrown out for not running an accurate course. They weren't laughing.