What is my PR (PB) for 5K?

Options
Last Saturday I ran a small 5k race 600 runners. There was no chip timing and the start was on a narrow path. about 2 yards wide. As I was aiming to set a new PR of sub 25mins. (old PR 26:16) I lined up towards the middle of the pack. I could not hear the gun but I started my Polar when I saw the heads at the front start to bob up and down. I started my Endomondo App as I crossed the line. After clearing a load of slower runners I settled into a good pace and the race went well. At the end Endomondo showed 24:49, Polar stopped at 24:58 but I am not amused at my official time of 25:01. Which time do I take as my PR?

Next Sunday I am aiming to set a new PR for 10K and again I am running in a small local race which may not have chip timing, should I get right to the front so my gun time will be correct and hold up faster runners or grit my teeth and line up in the middle of the pack again?

Replies

• larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I just start in the middle of the pack or near where most that run my pace are. I also just use my Garmin Forerunner to keep my runs, including PRs.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If it's not on the internet, it didn't happen
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    "A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure" - Segal's Law
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb is that Gun Time is your official time unless there is chip timing. If it were me, I would record the Gun Time as my time for the race and try for a PR another day.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I agree with Carson. The official time is the PB. But well done on the time, even if it's 2 secs slower than you wanted!
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thanks Carson, I'll record the gun time and beat it next time I head South.