Brand Spankin' New

Options
katscoots
katscoots Posts: 255 Member
Hello - just started cross fit - literally did my first five last week and my first WOD today. So far so good. I really like strength training. Question though, what is metcon?

Replies

• bregrig
    bregrig Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    metabolic conditioning :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You'll know it when you do one for your WOD :)
  • katscoots
    Options
    oh ok...
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes! You're going to like this.
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the "cult"
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    How is it going so far?
  • katscoots
    Options
    I love it...only downside is that I don't see the calorie burn that I see from strict cardio. I know that I'm building muscle and strength and in time, that helps to make up for it, but none the less, it's hard to break out of that mode...when it's all I've known. I benched 90 last week...personal best and what I maxed out at after 5 months at the academy...18 years ago.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    That definitely requires some adjustment. It made me switch over to just calculating my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and eating 10% less than the number. I track CF here just to log the workout as 1 calorie burned because it won't let you do zero.
  • katscoots
    Options
    I've read about the TDEE in the past. I'll have to look into that again. Unfortunately as I've moved up in my job, it has become more and more sedentary so I typically have my setting at that level because I do pretty much sit at a desk all day.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    That is factored in as part of the calculations. Take a look when you have a chance. http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »
    That definitely requires some adjustment. It made me switch over to just calculating my TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and eating 10% less than the number. I track CF here just to log the workout as 1 calorie burned because it won't let you do zero.

Best way to do it.
  • katscoots
    Options
    DONE! Changed to this last week. We'll see how it goes. Also changed my macros so that protein requirement is much higher, but I am having a hard time meeting that macro most days.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    That's tough for me too. Protein shakes are usually the only way I can do it and that's with making sure I'm getting 50g protein per shake.
  • Curlychip
    Curlychip Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    :D Hello! Im fairly new x
  • katscoots
    Options
    Welcome. I ask a lot of questions :)
  • katscoots
    Options
    When I was lifting last year the only way I could make the high protein macro was with protein shakes. Friggin Carbs in everything. I need to find a quick easy high protein breakfast. I tend to go to the typical high carb stuff because it's quick and easy (oatmeal, cereal, etc) except on the weekends when I have time to cook eggs or something like that.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You can do eggs with some veggies in a muffin pan, bake them. You can refrigerate them after and you have a set of quick breakfast meals for the week. Same for chicken breasts or steak. They keep for five or more days.
  • katscoots
    Options
    Awesome.Thanks. I'll try it.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    katscoots wrote: »
    When I was lifting last year the only way I could make the high protein macro was with protein shakes. Friggin Carbs in everything. I need to find a quick easy high protein breakfast. I tend to go to the typical high carb stuff because it's quick and easy (oatmeal, cereal, etc) except on the weekends when I have time to cook eggs or something like that.

Isopure No Carb is one of my go-to powders. Two scoops is 50g of protein, it will dissolve in water with just a turn and it's pure protein unless I add something to it.

I have eggs every morning. It takes maybe 10 minutes total to cook them.