Choose my plate

Options
nowucme
nowucme Posts: 88 Member
edited November 2014 in Social Groups
Just began my journey and the nutritionist wants me to follow USDA choosemyplate for my pre-surgery medically supervised weight loss diet. Feeling upset at this as I have been trying to avoid most grains and breads and hate milk. And wants three meals a day with no snacks. Not what I was expecting.

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your doctor is pushing you toward the food plan at chooseyourplate.gov? Because there is also what looks to be a pretty good food and exercise tracker 9Supertracker) similar to what is here at MFP. Talk with your doctor about using the tools here and get a real feel for what he or she wants you to be eating (if you can keep to a low grain diet or not) and convince your doctor that you will be following a healthy regimen and logging.

My pre-surgery plan was pretty simple and gave me lots of freedom: 1500 calories, 100g protein, 64 oz water. log everything and start moving. There was lots of nutritional info, but is was left mostly up to me. The logging and protein goals were the most useful to me (I believe) as I lost a ton of weight pre-op.

Find a way to work with your doctor to set up a sustainable pre-op plan and then hit it hard. I firmly believe that the more you lose and get active pre-surgery, the better, and a sustainable plan is key to that.

Rob

63741332.png

• janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would sit and discuss your issues with your nutritionist. You need to feel good about what you are doing so you can stick to it. Is this a nutritionist from the surgeon's office? My goal in pre-surgery is not only to get healthy and lose weight, but to better prepare me for after surgery. I don't eat a lot of grains / bread either and only drink milk if I put it in a protein drink or something..cheese and yogurt are different stories :)
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I was referred to MFP and had my RMR established. From there I was put on an 1800 calorie a day diet. You can cram a lot of good stuff into 1800 calories. There was never an issue about "how" to eat, snacks and such. I mean after the surgery you will have to snack. They want you to eat 5-6 times a day. It really doesn't make much sense to me what they have told you. I agree with those above, or find another place to go.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Find another NUT- the three meal a day plan doesn't work for everyone- and I also only drink milk at gun point....there's more than one sucesful plan- and yours should be something you feel comfortable living with
  • trinity9058
    trinity9058 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Find another NUT- the three meal a day plan doesn't work for everyone- and I also only drink milk at gun point....there's more than one sucesful plan- and yours should be something you feel comfortable living with

I wouldn't even drink milk at gunpoint, they'd have to shoot me and force it into my unconscious body lol. I have a serious lactose intolerance and that just ain't happening. I agree with everyone else, call your surgeon and ask WTH? Maybe not exactly those words, but it's a good subliminal message :) Good luck!
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was allowed to keep track of my food intake at whatever site I wanted. Also my pre-surgery diet consisted of 3 protein shakes, 2 protein bars and a healthy meal for dinner. We have to snack after surgery so I find it odd that you NUT says no snacking! And milk???? YUCK!
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I drank milk in moderation but Im lactose intolerant so pre-surgery I only would have it as an added ingredient because it didn't make sense to buy 2 separate kinds.
    Post-op I started buying soy almond milk because I needed it for several things so I was going through it fast enough to not waste it.
    I was referred to this site from the bariatric nutritionist as she wanted me to get a good idea of what foods I was eating and the value in them...boy was I shocked!
    I also gave up bread for awhile because what I thought was a "healthy" sandwich wasn't when I figured in the bread.
    I did find some 35 cal bread but since surgery I have changed the bread to light wheat bread which is still 35 cals!
    Even at these cals, I still cant go gung ho and eat a bunch of sandwiches but this bread allows me to have an occasional sandwich that satisfies me.
    You just need to find the right foods in the right combinations to keep w/in your dietary goals.
    Remember, what you learn/teach your mind now will have a lasting effect...right now you should want to, later you'll need to make good choices!
  • JeanneMarie11111
    JeanneMarie11111 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think all surgeons or WLC have their own protocol, mine doesn't care if I drink milk as long as its non or 1% fat but grains are non existent for the first year, potatoes once a week at most. I have had rice, 6 bites in the last 6 mos. that is not too shabby for a carbaholic. And like everyone said you should feel comfortable with the plan.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    wheat, rice, pasta, and potato are my trigger foods as well as being a big no-no for my surgeon and NUT. All carbs can be acquired from beans, corn, gourds, quinoa, millet, chia etc. Vanderbilt is a National Center for Excellence in Bariatrics so they know what works over the long haul. Sorry. in my medical opinion a lot of the USDA stuff is crap. Fine, if you are an athlete, deadly if you are a carbaholic.