Food Question

Options
wilrhy
wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
I tried eating my hummus today with cucumber instead of crackers to cut back a bit more on carbs. UGH--heartburn now. I am not sure if I can handle raw carrots or celery at this point (9 weeks) any suggestions? Thanks, Donna

Replies

• klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I know that my surgeon said to make sure I eat only very soft veggies and to stay away from anything fibrous like celery.
  • wilrhy
    Options
    I can handle lettuce and also raw spinach---other than that I have been having soft veggies too. I thought I could handle the cucs--I will try again in a week.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Have you ever made kale chips?
  • wilrhy
    Options
    I just downloaded a free e-book last night with recipes for kale chip and a lot of others---I am going to be making them! TY
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I like kale chips but like all cruciate veggies they cause a very pungent gas.
  • wilrhy
    Options
    LOL need to eat those kale chips when everyone else is sleeping!
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    After surgery, my doctor recommended gas blockers and Pepcid AC. I think I stayed on those for 3 months solid and then took them as needed. I agree with Klcovington...I didn't start consuming raw veggies until later on. Each surgeon is different, so I totally understand why we all try things at different stages. I want to say I was too afraid of hurting my tummy and ate soft veggies for a good long time. Until the heartburn/indigestion recedes, you may want to buy a bottle of Tums/Pepcid and treat as needed. Also, don't forget to keep taking your vitamins.
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Gas-X was my savior for the first 2-3 months after surgery. As for veggies, I'm almost 15 weeks post-op and I still struggle with veggies and fruit. My sleeve just does't seem ready for uncooked veggies. The nutritionists who runs my support group told me that some people can't tolerate raw veggies and fruit for up to 9 months post-op. I buy Special K cracker chips for my hummus. Significantly less calories than normal crackers and not nearly as dense.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I use "Naked" pita chips with my hummus. No salt and very few calories. Hummus tends to fill me quickly.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Gas X and Pepcid AC
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love spinach leaves dipped in hummus or cottage cheese. Haven't tried any other raw veggies because I'm only 4 weeks out but I don't really like celery anyway. Have you tried Fennel? Or seaweed (sounds gross, but it's actually pretty good). I'm learning that when something doesn't work that trying slight variations (in this case hummus on veggies - swap out veggies) is the least frustrating thing to do. Good luck!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,687 Member
    Options
    I loved celery (still do) but after surgery I've always had a natural impulse to spit out the fiber afterward. If it's cooked to mush, it's fine. Now (two years out) it's not as much of an issue.

Sounds like you're learning what your body can or cannot do. Good job.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I dip my chicken in hummus, or I love to make deviled eggs with it!!
    h6vt2puzx0c9.jpg
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of rice crackers especially early on. Seems they are less doughy than a pretzel or pita chip which work fine now.
  • Rachel96
    Rachel96 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 8 years out and still have trouble with raw fruits and vegetables....like watermelon, apples, carrots, celery...etc....