Frustrated! 7 weeks post op & only down 30 lbs.

Options
The first 2 weeks after surgery I lost 20 lbs then nothing for 2 weeks. Needless to say I was frustrated those 2 weeks. The following 3 weeks I've only lost another 11 pounds. I started at 300lbs.. Dr's say 10 - 15 a month is good but my surgeon said at my starting weight I may be able to pull off 20/month which I definitely didn't do. What were some numbers you lost first 2 months?

Replies

• SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I lost less than you did :p seriously, you will make yourself crazy if you compare yourself to other people and start freaking out about exactly how many pounds you lose each month. As Teddy Roosevelt said, comparison is the thief of joy. Do your best to control what you can - what goes in your mouth and your exercise, and accept that you are not going to be able to control your rate of weight loss, your metabolism, how your body reacts to things, and a million other things that dictate how fast you lose weight. But if you follow your program, you will lose weight and you will do great.
  • juliebccs
    Options
    Momsnewride. I am worried you/your surgeon might be expecting a bit much. I know that we lose quicker early on but it all averages out. I was similar, lost a big amount first few weeks as you would expect after any major surgery. A stall which is typical after a few weeks as the body tries to recover from the massive trauma and loss. Then the body starts again but not in the same way. This time you can expect a more realistic fat loss from the body. I averaged 8-12 pounds per month after the initial bulk loss. Don't panic. Your losses will come, they have not stopped as long as you are still committed. Your body will lose in a way that it can handle but it will keep losing on average. Just remember, if we lost 20 pounds every two weeks or even every month, ongoing for months in a row we would probably be very very unwell or not around at all. It is easy to get addicted to the rapid weight loss of early weeks. We have all had it. But you'll be amazed how fat sheds even as the scales don't move, especially when you start exercising and building muscle. You'll be ok but don't compare yourself too much to others because we all vary.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I lost about 15 on the pre surg diet- and about 20lb a month after - but- I started at the gym about three weeks after surg. I've kept it up since too- and it makes a huge difference. I'm down 114 in 8 mos - with only about 10lbs a month for the past two. I also hit about a two week stall after surg, and a month long stall in October. It can be very frustrating- especaily after a life time of weight loss failure- to feel like this isn't working either- but it is! I promise you - if you keep to your goals, and excercize if you can- you will loose weight.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Please--- try not to get hung up on comparative rates of loss. If you follow your dr./nutritionist's instructions, you WILL lose weight. For me, VSG is awesome because I lose weight without hunger--- it gives me that little bit of leverage I need to make good choices. I know it can be frustrating when you are not losing as fast as you would like, but please try to trust the process. :)
  • swetienancy04
    swetienancy04 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I feel you on that one I lost 19 pounds immediately after surgery and then nothing for the beginning part of week two this morning I step on the scale and I was down two pounds. For a total of 21 pounds in two weeks.... It feels frustrating however if you do what your suppose to do everything will be fine and the weight will come off we just have to have patience and realize that we didn't become fat over night and we will not lose it all over night. Stay strong!
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Don't get hung up on the numbers! I felt the same way. It depends on the person and also your intake and exercise. I lost 14 the first week, then stalled then lost then gained a bit, then lost again. You will make yourself crazy. Consider the sleeve as a tool---no two people are the same. It will come off in time. I have lost 40 lbs and on 12/9 it will be three months. Slower than some people but I am happy it is coming off. Hang in there, Donna
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If you are measuring and weighing your food and not going over your 600 calories you WILL lose weight. After the first 30lbs it really slows down.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I asked the dr what an average is or what I should expect to lose per week. He told me there is no average, everyone loses differently. His advice was to follow the plan and not worry about the specific numbers at specific times. In the overall picture, if I follow the plan and exercise, I will lose the weight.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Mango, how do you know what calories to advise OP to stay under, not knowing all "her" specifics?
    When I posted a thread about cals and where my ideal cal goal should be at for being 4'2, no one seemed to have an answer and only Rob gave me somewhat of an answer but that was more for the future and not for now being 7 wks out.
    Is there a chart or site that can be posted on here so we can all check it out?!?
    Im sure this would be very helpful to many others!
  • momsnewride
    momsnewride Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the support! You all are right, I need to stop micromanaging and just let the process do its thing.
  • juliebccs
    Options
    2behappy2 your nutritionist should have given you a calorie goal for the early stages. I was under 800 for the first 6 months. After that however I have slowly increased to 1200. I rarely get to 1200 but that is my current limit nearing 9 months out (plus anything added for exercise). Here is a calculator.http://www.healthycalculators.com/weight-loss-calculator.php No idea how accurate it is but it gives you an idea in general terms. Everyone is different.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Nope...was not given that nor have I been verbally given a #.
    I just thought this was because they 1st wanted to see how we each came out after surgery as we're all different (in weight and height).
    Even now having had my 1 week out and then followed by my 1 month out, still haven't received my "goal" # and Im now weeks into eating solids :neutral_face:
    Thanks for the link, maybe from that I can get a # appropriate for me!
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    Nope...was not given that nor have I been verbally given a #.
    I just thought this was because they 1st wanted to see how we each came out after surgery as we're all different (in weight and height).
    Even now having had my 1 week out and then followed by my 1 month out, still haven't received my "goal" # and Im now weeks into eating solids :neutral_face:
    Thanks for the link, maybe from that I can get a # appropriate for me!

Can you call your NUT and see if they can give you guidance?
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Momsnewride, I lost less than you to begin with and after my stall at 9 months out, a lot slower than most here. I don't want to discourage you, but I just simply lose slowly and I stall often. But I still lose, so as long as I still lose, it really doesn't matter how fast or slow. Really, anything off is good, you know?
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    I take care of many bariatric pts from multiple programs and the average seems to be 500 cals month 1, 600 cals month 2, 700-800 cals month 3, 800-950 cals until maintenance. this is usually average sized women doing light exercise. I have seen tall men put on 1200 cals as their top amount. I have also seen 400lb pts kept at very low calories longer since they hardly move at all. Always follow your surgeons plan. All plans will vary. My surgeon never wants you to eat bread ever. He also hates lots of liquid proteins. I admit that I rely heavily on my Carbmaster milk for hitting my protein goals. He is worried that it will slide thru bypassing fullness and leading to other grazing. After a year I will have the occasional sandwich but it takes all day to eat it.
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »
    Mango, how do you know what calories to advise OP to stay under, not knowing all "her" specifics?
    When I posted a thread about cals and where my ideal cal goal should be at for being 4'2, no one seemed to have an answer and only Rob gave me somewhat of an answer but that was more for the future and not for now being 7 wks out.
    Is there a chart or site that can be posted on here so we can all check it out?!?
    Im sure this would be very helpful to many others!
    My BMR for age, sex and ht is 1350 per day(this is my current intake to maintain 146# at maintenance). I was on 850-950 while losing-this was a subtraction of 400 cals per day. Maybe for a 4'2" person you could calculate BMR and take off 400cals for your top intake calories?

• 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Julie sent me a link that worked for me....it was great to see a # that reflected what I should be at for my height and weight/goal as everyone is so different!
    Thanks Julie!, this was very helpful!!
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Mango, my surgeon feels the same about the shakes...he really wanted us weaned by 3 months w/ an "occasional" IF need be but not as a full go to source.
    I initially was able to do my Pure Protein shakes consistently and even at times incorporating a little banana into the vanilla for added flavor and protein and always added PB2 to both chocolate and vanilla for added protein.
    As time progressed I could only "tolerate" the shakes.
    Even though Im about 7 weeks out, I have learned a lot about making better protein choices in solids vs liquids (shakes).
    I have not had a shake in 2 weeks but if I had to I could probably stomach 1 unlike the broth and SF jello....that's gonna take a bit longer to be able to look at those the same way pre-op :disappointed:
  • jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If it wasn't for the protein shakes i'm not sure how much I would take in. I have went a few days without the shakes, but the 50g kick is a nice start to the day. My doc/nut also wants the protein to come in food form, but at 6oz per meal (x3) that's 18oz of food and then the snacks, and then trying to get in the roughage......I really need to focus on a meal plan that' conducive to achieving my protein goals without the shakes as a primary boost.