Advice for efficient protein delivery?

Options
Niff314
Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
Ok, so - I'm having a hard time getting at least 150g of protein in wihout feeling ill from eating so heavy all the time - any advice? I don't mind the calories *too* much even though I'm trying to shed fat - just wondering what everyone worked into their diet to up their protein intake?

Thanks!

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    for me (i'm not paleo): chicken, beef, eggs, grilled fish, shrimp, cottage cheese, tuna, nuts, and Greek yogurt. I also drink a Premier Protein shake at work a lot. i guess i associate eating heavy with a lot of dense carbs, rich sauces, etc... so eating meat with veggies doesn't seem super heavy to me. It's like 160 or 170 calories, tons of calcium and 30 grams of protein (and I like the taste).

I eat a lot of salads with salmon, chicken or tuna on them. I also eat a lot of stir fry. I like grilling meat and veggie kebabs as well. Soups with meat and veggies with (optional) a bit of rice or quinoa are good in the winter. Meat sauce on spaghetti squash or over zucchini is a fave also.

I started making mini meat loafs in muffin cups to make them portable (sometimes I add pepperoni, cheese & Italian seasoning). I also do the same with eggs, cheese, meat and veggies.
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Mini meat-loafs in muffin cups is brilliant! I'm so bored with chicken and tuna every day for lunch. I'm making a batch of mini-loafs tonight and bringing them to work. Thanks for sharing the idea.
  • mattowan
    mattowan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Whey protein isolate.
  • Niff314
    Options
    Thanks all!

I have a supply of ON Whey at work, as well as keeping a stock of grilled chicken and cottage cheese at work.

That meatloaf in muffin cups? Ok, that's just brilliant.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    for me (i'm not paleo): chicken, beef, eggs, grilled fish, shrimp, cottage cheese, tuna, nuts, and Greek yogurt. I also drink a Premier Protein shake at work a lot. i guess i associate eating heavy with a lot of dense carbs, rich sauces, etc... so eating meat with veggies doesn't seem super heavy to me. It's like 160 or 170 calories, tons of calcium and 30 grams of protein (and I like the taste).

I eat a lot of salads with salmon, chicken or tuna on them. I also eat a lot of stir fry. I like grilling meat and veggie kebabs as well. Soups with meat and veggies with (optional) a bit of rice or quinoa are good in the winter. Meat sauce on spaghetti squash or over zucchini is a fave also.

I started making mini meat loafs in muffin cups to make them portable (sometimes I add pepperoni, cheese & Italian seasoning). I also do the same with eggs, cheese, meat and veggies.

You aren't paleo, but you're about 80% I'd say. Pretty much paleo plus dairy (call it Primal)

I try to avoid cheese just because I will eat a pound of it, but I cook with butter and/or ghee and will do cream in my coffee.

I also buy the 10 lb bags of frozen chicken breasts at BJs.

• bostonwolf
    Options
    niffiner1 wrote: »
    Ok, so - I'm having a hard time getting at least 150g of protein in wihout feeling ill from eating so heavy all the time - any advice? I don't mind the calories *too* much even though I'm trying to shed fat - just wondering what everyone worked into their diet to up their protein intake?

Thanks!

I'll agree with the others on protein shakes. I try to use one that will give me 50g of protein (Isopure Zero Carb) and if it doesn't, I'll double the dose to get there (Progenex Recovery)

That would be 1/3rd of your recommended dose in one shot.

• Niff314
    Options
    That sounds fantastically more efficient.

Although with the crossfit, I've noticed if I don't get food in me by 11am I'm ready to eat my keyboard. Interesting shift, to go from thinking food = fat to food = fuel. *mind blown*
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    ^^^that's seriously one of the top best things about Crossfit for me: changing how I view food! :)
  • Niff314
    Options
    It's remarkable. I just chugged some whey with coconut milk because I knew I'd need it in a few hours. I'm so excited about this new lifestyle - it's gonna be stellar!
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    My problem is trying to eat roughly the same amount I used to. Harder than you'd think.
  • chelsfelt
    chelsfelt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That has been the biggest full lifestyle change for me as well, from food=bad to food=fuel. I went from restricting myself to 1300 calories a day to struggling to get 1800 in each day. It's crazy how much my perspective changed and how fast it changed. I personally am vegetarian and I'm the only vegetarian crossfitter I personally know. I get protein from plant-based non-soy protein powder smoothies, plain greek yogurt, raw almond butter, and clif bars. I also try to throw beans in there wherever I can, since they're so high in fiber. Just some alternatives to meat protein in case you're looking for that.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    one of the posters on here is Vegan, though I don't think he posts too often. FWMagicMike is his username.
  • Niff314
    Options
    My boyfriend does powerlifting, and his workout buddy is a vegan and had amazing gains in the last six months - apparently he eats a *lot*. =)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Mini meatloaf?! Please share the recipe!

I drink a protein shake right after my workout while I'm taking a shower and getting ready for work. Then I'll have two hard boiled eggs.

I usually (when I'm on point) have roasted chicken, spinach, greek yogurt, peanut butter in my fridge at all times. Lunch is usually 8 oz of roasted chicken with spinach.

Dinner I will have shrimp, fish, pork tenderloin or buffalo with roasted veggies.

A day like that will have me hitting macros pretty easily (40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat). Now, I don't always behave though. I need to be more consistent.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    My boyfriend does powerlifting, and his workout buddy is a vegan and had amazing gains in the last six months - apparently he eats a *lot*. =)

I can't imagine the volume of food he'd have to eat to maintain body mass.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I need to stock up on yogurt and get some pre-cooking done.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I find protein the easiest macro to eat a lot of and I am usually over my goal and I aim for 170 grams a day. I love protein powder, eggs, steak, pork, salmon and chicken :)