Footwear for lifting

Options
Sumiblue
Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
What are you wearing to lift? I've been wearing regular sneakers, probably running shoes. I don't spend a lot on sneakers and don't run so I buy what I can afford, like and what feels best. My sneakers are not flat. I do have some Converse low tops. Should I wear those or invest in lifting shoes? I have done some online window shopping and I really like some of the lifting shoes I've found. I was going to try the Converse for last night's workout but forgot!

Replies

• LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I wear normal sneakers... I figure I can get it away with it since I am not lifting super heavy weights and I jog a little on the treadmill on lifting days so the sneakers are good for that.

I did buy some cheapy sneaker type shoes in the "crossfit" category yesterday where the buyer reviews said soles are small and good for lifting. But really only because Reebox was having a 40% off sale so the shoes were $25. I think they may still be having the sale if you want to check out the selection. Can't say if the shoes will make a difference since I haven't gotten it yet.

Not sure if Converse are the same as Chucks but I have heard Chucks are good for lifting. I can't imagine running in them though...

For people that do weights and cardio on the same day, do you change shoes in the middle of working out?
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I purchased the $45 clearance Wei Rui shoes from the link below and I like them a lot.

You should definitely at least wear a hard, flat sole shoe like a converse.

http://www.maxbarbell.com/collections/weightlifting-shoes
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I wear a pair of cheap nikes that have only a very thin sole (no cushioning) between my feet and the ground. I do change shoes to run when I'm doing both on the same day. Today I lifted in bare feet and that felt good too.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I like it better the closer to barefoot I get. I had a few workout with my running shoes and my balance was just so thrown off doing squats and leg-stuff that I only will wear my running shoes if I plan on doing treadmill and am doing an upper body only workout (which basically never happens these days)

I have some Nike Frees that are my gym shoes. They're 2 sizes too big because they were too tight and are terrible for running and still cushioned enough that it's hard to keep my heels on the ground when doing heavy squats, but for now I don't have the budget for the crossfit type shoes, which is what I'd like to have. My foot is so weird though that I have to try them on first, and no store here seem to carry them xD
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Yes, my shoes are Chuck Taylor's, low tops. I guess I will try them out next time. I am doing 100+lb squats and 120lb deads now so I am worried about my balance. I'll report back on how it feels with the Chuck's. Thanks for the input!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Chucks, fo sho.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Chucks, but mine are high tops. They don't really impede any ankle movements and I just like them better.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm lifting in asics somethings. they're a bit cushioned and have a touch more depth in the heel, but i've gotten so used to them that i think completely flat feet would send me back to square one for a while so as to adjust form again. i have just bought a pair of what we used to call takkies when i was a kid . . . totally flat-soled canvas-top shoes. but i haven't tried them out yet. they might be great for lifting but i have this fear i won't be able to walk in them.

i'm gonna say that whatever 'lift' my runners had in them when i first put them on has probably had some of that beaten down after all these months of heavy squatting and deadlifting work.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Chucks and Barefoots. On arm days I wear regular sneakers.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I wear Chucks or Vibrams. The cushiness and heel of traditional running shoes push me forward and impede my balance for deads and squats. If I do cardio at the gym afterwards, it's usually the bike or the elliptical which I find mentally less torturous than the treadmill so I just keep my lifting shoes on.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    So I wore my Chucks to lift today-much better! I didn't wear socks and I could feel my toes gripping the sole/floor better. I agree, the running shoes tip me forward, too. I felt much more stable today. I'm doing heavier lifts now so i need that stability. Thanks for all the input!
  • SouthernDaisy4
    SouthernDaisy4 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Currently in Brooks running shoes but I am planning on getting some Chuck Taylors. I think the cushion throws of my balance, which is iffy to begin with.
  • randomtai
    Options
    I did deadlifts without any shoes on today and this is how I will do them from now on lol
  • sing809
    sing809 Posts: 54 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just switched to trainers (Nike Flex Trainer 4) today from running shoes, and it really made a nice difference. I felt a lot more grounded and supported on my lifts. They were even an improvement on the elliptical. I don't really do much running anyway, except for warm ups for Bootcamp class.
  • hiryze
    hiryze Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wear some chucks I got on clearance for $20. I really like lifting barefoot but am a bit squeamish as I lift at a gym.
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    Yeah, ew. Plus, no way my gym would allow it.
  • randomtai
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    Yeah, ew. Plus, no way my gym would allow it.

What is so ew about it? I can understand if you have a dirty gym. *shrug*
  • Sumiblue
    Options
    I'm weird about going barefoot in gyms. Yucky stuff brought in on people's shoes, sweat, athlete's foot, etc. Sure, the gym gets cleaned every day but I still wouldn't do it. I'm not a compulsive clean freak by any means but there are certain things that I am not comfortable with.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have a relatively flat pair of UA trainers I use. Tried using my chucks but they're just too worn out at this point; couldn't feel much of a difference regardless. Also have a pair of flatter runners, that work ok in a pinch.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap pair of Champion shoes from Target that I lift in. I found the least support and cushion to work well. For running I have some super nice Zoot triathalon shoes, but they are super cushy and shock absorbent, and we found that I was having a hard time placing and keeping weight on my heels during squats.