Newly Vegetarian

Options
Sorry I am bombarding your group. I am newly vegetarian and needing help getting more calories. I am eating up to 800 calories but I am not getting hungry. I am scared that I will go into fat storage mode and then end up gaining weight back. How can I possibly eat more calories if I am already getting full with the vegetables/beans...and small amounts of carbs???

Replies

• Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Welcome to vegetarianism. I hope it works for you.

Fat storage mode? No such thing, or at least that's a gross oversimplification of what actually happens. You should forget that idea. Calories in vs calories out is where its at; you cannot put fat on if you are eating fewer calories than you are burning off, period; your body cannot magic energy out of nothing.

Can you make your diary public so we can have a look? 800 sounds crazy low.

Some calorie dense food ideas: nuts, seeds, rice, quinoa, pasta, oils, cheese & eggs (if not vegan).
  • Jams009
    Options
    Avocados & fruit also. Not very filling but packed with calories.
  • Jams009
    Options
    Oh and seitan, tempeh and tofu for protein.
  • VeganJami
    VeganJami Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    And Nuts and seeds, High in calories and big on health benefits. You can make awesome smoothies with fruit and soy or almond milk too.
  • carriecarrio
    carriecarrio Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem! ;) As the previous posters mentioned, avocado, nuts and seeds are very high in calories and nutrients. Add some nut butters, dates or other dried fruits ...
  • chunky_monkey26
    Options
    Thanks Everyone. I didn't get any notifications so I didn't think anyone responded. I have gotten some Tofu which has been good and easy so far. I'm going into my settings now to see how to make my diary public.