incisions

Options
Just wondering: My largest incision is on my left side of my naval. The dr told me me that is where everything came out. I assume he means my stomach because I'm not aware that I'm missing anything else :) Anyway, they had to put stitches in the muscle at that site. Did anyone else have stitches in the muscle, and can you tell me how long it took before it stopped hurting? If I am sitting or walking it is fine, but to try get myself out of a chair or sometimes to sit down in a chair that spot lets me know it is there. I am 11 days post-surgery. The rest of the incisions are fine and have no pain at all.

Replies

• jamezln
    jamezln Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had stitches there also....well on the right side. I was glued shut with internal sutures in the muscle. It's the largest incision I have. It took a few weeks for it to stop hurting when I put the muscle under strain. I would say it was about 4 weeks before it stopped or at least I noticed it stopped. Then when I tried to jog a little between 4-5 weeks it still didn't like it. I haven't tried doing any large amounts sit ups or anything because the doc said that one particularly takes about 3 months to fully heal up because it was the through the muscle. So the pain is normal. It may subside quicker for you, or may take just a bit longer. Depends on how quick you heal. I wouldn't try to work it too much for at least 4-5 weeks, but let it tell you what it can do. That is a serious hernia waiting to happen.

On a side note, my sutures are currently exiting my body through that incision. Sorta wierd having white strings sticking out lol.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    That's my most painful spot too. It looks weird too - it's sort of dented/dimpled in unlike the others. Almost looks like a new belly button, where the others are on smoother terrain.
  • jamezln
    Options
    boomerkae wrote: »
    That's my most painful spot too. It looks weird too - it's sort of dented/dimpled in unlike the others. Almost looks like a new belly button, where the others are on smoother terrain.

Yep, mine is dented/dimpled also. Doc said it would release and return to normal when all the sutures exit my body.

• loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Strangely, the biggest of mine is the smoothest. The most dimpled/strange one I have is the spot where he used a previous scar from having my gallbladder out. That was in very strange looking.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The way the doctor explained it to me is that (for me at least) he doesn't cut the muscle itself, but the sheath surrounding the muscle. That is what I got a couple of stitches in, and then he just pulls the muscle fibers/bundles open to make a big enough hole to get the organ out. The pulled muscle feeling was the muscle stretching he did, and the pain is the stitched sheath. either way, 8 weeks of no ab work would allow the stitched part to heal to most of the strength it would have. I'm now 9 weeks out, so i guess I should do some ab work to see how it feels.

I didn't notice any pain there after 4 or 5 weeks unless I was doing something strenuous like the last, hard reps of bench press or lat pulldowns.

Rob
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It's funny that we all seem to have some incisions in different places. My largest incision is about 3 inches above my belly button. That is the one that caused some pain during my 3 weeks of recovery so far. I was amazed how small the other incisions were. I had a total of 5 incisions but I've heard of someone that has more than 5. :)
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have 6...1 on the right side of my belly button, the bulb that allowed me to administer my own pain meds was inserted in through my belly button so that's my longest/biggest.
    Besides 1 being about 3 finger lengths up above my belly button, the other 3 are scattered to the left of my stomach. :\
  • jamezln
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's funny that we all seem to have some incisions in different places. My largest incision is about 3 inches above my belly button. That is the one that caused some pain during my 3 weeks of recovery so far. I was amazed how small the other incisions were. I had a total of 5 incisions but I've heard of someone that has more than 5. :)

I have 5 also. I might have to post a photo. Being super glued closed is just weird in my book. Oh what the heck.....here you go. Shaved belly and all. And you would know that it posted upside down. Figures.6rbynz2gwjfr.jpg

• loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Jamezln, yours are like mine except your large one is on the right and mine is on the left. I got steristrips to hold mine together.
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I have six incisions and I didn't have a pain pump or drain! I have one very high, just under where my bra rides, one below my belly button, and the rest scattered around it.
  • jamezln
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Jamezln, yours are like mine except your large one is on the right and mine is on the left. I got steristrips to hold mine together.

Yep, that's the weird thing. A lot of folks have the big incision on the left. Funny thing is that if you click on the image, it rotates back upright. Did't have any pumps or drains. Just the I.V. where they injected the pain meds the first day before I began drinking them the second day.

--James

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    jamezln wrote: »

Yep, that's the weird thing. A lot of folks have the big incision on the left. Funny thing is that if you click on the image, it rotates back upright. Did't have any pumps or drains. Just the I.V. where they injected the pain meds the first day before I began drinking them the second day.

--James

Maybe your surgeon was left handed! :)
  • jamezln
    Options
    Maybe, i'll have to ask him when I see him again in January. I think it's interesting.
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My large incision is about 3" above my belly button. My surgeon also uses the technique of stretching the muscles instead of cutting. After a couple weeks there was no discomfort. They had to move one of the ports during surgery so many have one extra one, for a total of 7.
  • jamezln
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think it's funny how it's all blown up like a balloon. I still remember that first escape. Thought it would never end.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Yeah Boomer...my incision that's 3 finger lengths above my belly button is where my bra is, similar to yours...I like the way you worded it :wink:
    I only had a bulb (pain pump) but since I was really out of it all that 1st day, I didn't realize it was there for me to use.
    Every time I told them I was hurting, they came in & injected the meds into the IV.
    No drain pump for me.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    My larger incision is centered about 3 inches over my belly button. I had steri-strips and my pain medication was injected into my IV. Thanks for posting the picture Jamezin. It is interesting to discuss and compare incisions and how they are sealed as well as pain medication. I think it's neat that I had a husband and wife (both Bariatric Surgeons) perform my procedure. lol. I'm looking forward to my 6 week check in with my Surgeon on Dec. 29. It seems like a long time to wait after such major surgery. I did see my GP for a 1 week check in as was recommended before surgery. If I have any questions, issues or concerns I can always call the surgeon's office or the Bariatric Team who work out of the hospital. :)
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have one that is very high too--5 total. the one above my belly button is an inch long. The others were just small hole. I did have trouble on one side at night when I tried to sleep after the surgery--LOL I cannot remember what side so I guess it is fine now. I had steri-strips and my pain medication was injected into my IV too. I saw the phy. assistant and the NUT--but my 1st visit with the dr will be in 2 weeks. A long time after surgery. I think I was due around 10 weeks but he was booked solid. I am 12 weeks PO. Donna
  • relentless2121
    Options
    I also noticed pain when lying on my left side for the first few weeks. By far the larger incision above the belly button must be where they pulled the stomach out of before they stapled what was left. My larger incision is still quite sensitive at 3 1/2 weeks out.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    They told me the main incision was on my left side. I looked today and my belly dents in there--much more than a dimple! LOL The biggest cut was on the bottom above my belly button.