Anyone following IIFYM near Gilbert, AZ?

mommy2maddox
mommy2maddox Posts: 141 Member
Hi everyone! I am about a month and a half into following IIFYM and I'm really enjoying it. I have, however, only been lifting at home and I can't do much there. I have two dumbbells that go up to 20lbs a piece, a bench, a fit ball and a treadmill. I'm not getting a great leg workout at home unless I run and I need to be lifting more. Therefore, I am looking for a great gym that is near or around Higley and Guadalupe in Gilbert, AZ. Not sure if there are many people here from the AZ area. I am x-posting this just to be sure mostly because the AZ boards don't seem to have a lot of activity on them currently.

I moved here from Denver back in Jan. 2013 and haven't established friendships with people that follow this philosophy and/or go to the gym. Because I already have a lower self confidence, the last thing I want to do is go to a gym by myself as a newbie and do anything wrong to make myself look more like a dweeb. :glasses:

One other caveat is that money tends to be an issue right now. I'm a SAHM and I have done the whole trainer thing back home in Denver and it cost us a lot of money and I gave up too easily. I can guarantee I'm in a new mindset with full determination but, as many of you have probably know, it is hard to convince my husband that this is WORTH the money to have me do this again with the right gym/trainer/coach.

That leads me to the final thing. I am interested in finding a coach that knows about and/or follows IIFYM as well or that would be open to it. I know this is a long shot that I'm even posting this but what can I lose?

Also, if anyone is nearby and wouldn't mind helping a newbie out, I'm all for making new friends and learning! Thank you guys!

Replies

• brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Are you just looking for nearby gyms? or are you looking for specific classes? There is a gym right on Higley and Baseline. There is a YMCA on Recker and Baseline. An LA Fitness on Greenfield and the 60. An Orange Fitness on Val Vista and Baseline (in Dana Park.) There is a huge gym, forget the name but "Fitness" is in the title on Elliot somewhere around Lindsay Rd.

My wife goes to Gold's Gym on Gilbert Rd. and Baseline for Yoga classes.
  • brando79az
    brando79az Posts: 224 Member
    Personally? I don't belong to a gym because, except for the ellyptical (which I miss,) I found I can do anything without a membership. I bicycle, walk/jog, hike and swim outside. I "step" inside. That pretty much covers my cardio. I do all my lifting in the garage with a weight rack but another great, indoor, leg workout is Kettlebells. Buy yourself a lightweight Kettlebell and a DVD (or youtube) and get a crazy leg workout in your own home's air conditioning. When you are ready to move up in weight just buy a heavier Kettlebell.

You can find high quality Kettlebells at the sports exchange on Country Club and Southern. Best selection I have seen (as well as just about any other excercise equipment.
  • willowbrooke1
    willowbrooke1 Posts: 24 Member
    I live near Higley and Guadalupe also and I belong to Fitness Works on Higley and Baseline. I just started a month ago at the gym but I have to say, I like it. I too want to begin lifting and have yet to start-total newb here-but I go 4-5 times a week for the classes and some treadmill work. I used to go to 24 Hour Fitness a couple years ago (Val Vista and Elliot) and it was fine, just a gym, nothing special but, the atmosphere at Fitness Works is very different-very friendly, very much a "welcome to the gang" feeling. As for IIFYM-I honestly did not know that`s what I was doing until..now. I just finished reading an older, very large post about it and this definitely is how I am approaching my weight loss goals..for the most part lol. I struggle with adequate protein intake but I am getting better.I am just now getting back into tracking my food, I lost my focus when some issues came up that derailed me for a year physically and it feels good to be back on the journey, regaining lost ground as it were. Good luck to you on your journey and if you end up at Fitness Works, let me know-we can brave the lifting together:happy:
  • Julieboolieaz
    Julieboolieaz Posts: 656 Member
    Hi! I'm in Gilbert too, near the Santan Village mall. :)

You're pretty close to fitness works on Higley/baseline, I go to the Chandler location. I love my Zumba class and like the Combat class too, I've gotten into weight lifting in the past few months and like the free weight section too. I bought NROLFW (new rules of lifting for women) and am following that plan. Great detail in the exercise portion. Strong lifts 5x5 is a free online weight training program many follow. I'd try that before hiring a trainer again. Much cheaper and I like to compete against myself and add more weight or reps to my workouts.

I follow iifym and am doing a balanced diet macro 35:35:30.

There are a lot of gyms in your area, even a snap fit which is pretty cheap i think. Good luck!
  • I just started following IIFYM and it seems super simple.

I mainly stick to bodyweight strength training with gymnastic rings. Love it. I would recommend it both for how cheap it is and have you seen gymnasts? :)

I'm in Chandler.
  • tyler621
    tyler621 Posts: 3 Member
    There is also the Freestone Rec Center that does not require a membership and offers child care while you workout. I think the daily use fee is around $6 and the child care is an extra $2 (give or take).