a little discouraged

Options
I'm feeling a little discouraged. The last several days I have really been struggling to get in my protein and my water. I thought that going to pureed food would help because I could do savory puree and then drinking something a little sweeter would be easier. It is, but I still just got 48 oz of water in yesterday. Plus, it seems like it is taking me so long to eat 1/2 cup of food that I am wasting my drinking time. I know it's just in my head, but I sort of feel like I'm failing, and I'm not even 3 weeks in. (I know, how stupid is that?) It's just that I'm trying so hard to make sure I meet the requirements I am feeling totally stressed about it. I could use some advice, reassurance, kick in the butt?

Replies

• renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. You def don't need a kick in the butt! I will tell you what I was told - the "rules" you were given are a guideline, something to work towards. If you can't get in all your fluids or protein, it's ok. Just keep trying. You are only 3 weeks out from MAJOR surgery, you are still swollen, you are still healing. Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself. You will be ok.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I think what you are going through is totally normal! It really can be a challenge to get in all of your protein and all the fluids we need in the beginning. We are healing, our stomachs are small, we have no appetite. I know for me, it helped to schedule my eating and drinking. My feeling about this whole process is that we can't aim for perfection, we can just do our best and try to improve on that. Don't be discouraged, and don't stress over it - stress is not good for you! You just have to do your best, and it WILL get easier.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Right now you just need to focus on what you can do. I am almost 3 months out and I still can't always hit my numbers. It is ok! So many of us expect that we will be able to be perfect and then when we fail a little, we think we are failing big. You aren't failing. You are healing and doing the best you can. Every day gets a little easier and so long as you are working toward your goals you will be fine. Remember, this is different from every other time you've tried to lose weight. Hang in there!
  • Sammers48220
    Sammers48220 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My mantra is "progress, not perfection." It's what I tell myself every time I fight and fail and start again on this journey. I'm still pre-surgery, so I can't 100% relate to the struggle you're having, but even I know you're not a failure! This whole process is so hard, be proud of the work you're doing! We're all here for you.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Oh so normal! I think many of us went through the same thing. I still struggle some days to get in 64 oz of fluids! At 3 weeks you are just beginning---you "WILL" get there. I am now at 12 weeks and everything has become so much easier. Hang in there! Donna
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself. So the best that you can :)
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Take a step back and look at where you are today versus where you were the day before you started this process.

I defy you to call today anything remotely close to a failure. Each move toward real food is a new challenge. Step up and find a way to meet this challenge like you have met all of the previous ones.

You will need to develop new strategies for each stage, but you can do it! In a month you will have this routine down pat and be another bunch of pounds down.

Rob
  • boomerkae
    boomerkae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I hit my protein goal for rhe first time two days ago but haven't since. I'm still 10oz short on water daily. At least! I completely understand what you're saying. I have a six meal plan I'm supposed to get...not quite happening. I sip my water most at night. Some during the day of course, but 16oz at night. I haven't been sick, so I wonder if I'm not eating enough or already stretched my sleeve (not likely).

Just taking it day by day and trying to figure it all out.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I am working on not thinking I have to be "perfect" every day in order to be successful in this venture. I see that others have been here before me and you are all alive and well and successful, so I can be too--even if I don't quite get to where I would like to be each day. I will just keep working at it. I appreciate the feedback, and this whole community of support.
  • MightyMie
    MightyMie Posts: 9 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    premier protein shakes are 30grams ea. vitamin loaded and count as part of your water intake low carb and sugar too.. I love them and use it in my coffee also. only 126 cal. great idea my nut told me .
    Hang in there you ll get it. Also there is Musclegen Research Genepro Genetic Tri-Protein Peptide Powder - 30gram serving of protein with only a Tablespoon (15 gram) serving size. Here is the copy of the Add (*)
  • JEMP65
    JEMP65 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Premier chocolate shakes are the reason I can hit my liquid and protein goals! They are the only protein drinks I seem to be able to tolerate and they are the best tasting drink I have found. They remind me of thick chocolate milk. They have 30 grams of protein in 11 oz. of liquid. Kroger has coupons and sales on the four packs they sell. Like them on FB to get more coupons. I buy mine at BJ's, a 12 pack for 18.99, in November they were on sale for 15.99. BJ's also carries the Premier protein bars, 30 grams protein each, in a 12 count box for 15.99. They were also 3.00 off in November. They are the best tasting bars to me also, my husband tried the Quest ones we bought but liked the Premier a lot more.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    JEMP65 wrote: »
    BJ's also carries the Premier protein bars, 30 grams protein each, in a 12 count box for 15.99. They were also 3.00 off in November. They are the best tasting bars to me also, my husband tried the Quest ones we bought but liked the Premier a lot more.

I want to try the Premier bars. I used to like Quest, but my tastes seem to be changing and I am not liking the chemical-ly taste they have these days.
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling a little discouraged. The last several days I have really been struggling to get in my protein and my water. I thought that going to pureed food would help because I could do savory puree and then drinking something a little sweeter would be easier. It is, but I still just got 48 oz of water in yesterday. Plus, it seems like it is taking me so long to eat 1/2 cup of food that I am wasting my drinking time. I know it's just in my head, but I sort of feel like I'm failing, and I'm not even 3 weeks in. (I know, how stupid is that?) It's just that I'm trying so hard to make sure I meet the requirements I am feeling totally stressed about it. I could use some advice, reassurance, kick in the butt?

How about instead of a kick in the butt I offer you a suggestion to help with the protein.

Pick yourself up some PB2. I am a peanut butter addict, and I can attest that this stuff is manna from heaven.

Let me give you the stats on this amazing product. 45 calories, 1.5g Fat, 1g Sugar, 5g Protein.

The serving size... 2 tablespoons of PB2, 1 tablespoon water. You can add extra water if you need to thin it out for pureed diet.

What they do is the squeeze the oil out of the peanut removing 90% of the fat and dehydrate it. It's not as sweet as Jif which I think is great because I'm more of a savory person.

I've been using it to keep on top of my protein because it's so easy to bulk the protein count with.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend UNJURY protein. You can buy at unjury.com and if you call them and order it as an autoship they give you a really good discount. I think it tastes the best. I agree, I started out liking different powders, but after a while they got a weird chemical taste to them. UNjury comes in chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, unflavored and chicken soup flavored which actually tastes like chicken broth. I add frozen veggies to the water I heat up, then the protein. Unjury mixes easily also. It's very basic and very good and plenty of great recipes you can make from it. Including adding PB2 to the chocolate!
  • imboswell
    imboswell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I order Pure Protein Shake from Amazon it comes in a can and has 35 grams of protein. I love it. It is kind of thick but it goes down really easy and I get almost half of my protein for breakfast.
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. I have vanilla Isopure powder that I add flavoring to, like pumpkin, pb, and banana. My NUT isn't crazy about me adding any fruit to my drinks, but it makes it way easier to get down. Plus, if I add my fairlife skim milk I am at half my day's need for protein in one drink. I also have the Unjury unflavored & chicken soup packets. I like the chicken soup a lot. I use that for an afternoon snack.