Newly diagnosed and new to group

Options
bdawso88
bdawso88 Posts: 13 Member
Hi all! I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Beth and I am pretty sure I first developed PCOS at 16 when I stopped menstruating for no reason. Instead of testing me, my gynocologist simply put me on birth control. This masked my symptoms until I went off it recently as my husband and I are trying to have a baby. Now I just officially got diagnosed with PCOS last week and began Metformin. I'm definitely feeling lost with how to change my eating habits as well as what this could mean for my husband and my chance of having a baby.

So happy to find this support group for women with PCOS. I'm definitely not sure how the PCOS will work into my weight loss journey!

Replies

• kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Hey feel free to add me if you need support. I was diagnosed back in 2010, and at that point i had lost alot of weight and was healthy... my periods were "normal" again. I have since let myself go gotten too comfortable and gained all the weight back... I am focusing on losing weight again so my husband and i can have a baby i also take metformin. Best of luck to you.
  • IAmToria
    Options
    Welcome :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    There is so much good information here on all of the things you addressed above.

My story is similar but kind of flipped. My periods were so heavy, I would miss school. I was put on birth control to control them. I had uterine cysts very severely years after my only successful pregnancy, and my PCOS was confirmed then, but I was never told or treated for it. Had I been, the intervening years would have been so different!!!

Another thread on here says that Vitex is great with balancing hormones and helping to restore fertility. There are a huge number of options, Inositol, and some other things that can help too. If you have specific questions, there are some very knowledgeable ladies on here who have learned so much through their own struggles. My own troubles are on parallel but different paths, so I can't help fully...but supplementation, knowing your body and your levels, finding a doctor who will listen and is knowledgeable about this specifically, finding like minded friends to help support you through the insanity of this journey, that is what will get you through!

Good luck, AND WELCOME!
    Carly
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    Options
    Welcome! I totally understand the baby making concern. I got married in August and wasn't diagnosed until just before the wedding. Now I have made it a priority to do all that I can to try and increase our chances of having a healthy baby. My goal is to lose 40lbs. I am on Metformin, 1000mg, and I have also been taking a form of progestin to help with my irregular/heavy periods. I am hoping that in a year I will be in a good place to start family planning.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Good luck! As some other ladies have personally found, as far as balancing hormones and increasing fertility, that Vitex is supposedly great... Might bring it up at your next conversation with your doctor. The ladies here all have great advice for different things to tweak and try! Congrats on your marriage. :)
  • stephg456
    Options
    Hello. I am glad I found this group! I was diagnosed summer of 2013. I went in due to very bad cystic acne on my face, severe lower back pain, and my periods had stopped for 6 months. They put me on Metformin and birth control. I am still on those medications but my weight seems to be packing on. I am on a mission to lose this weight and get in better health. I do no know anyone who has PCOS and I think that this group will help me on that support!